FILE DOES NOT CROSS OVER TO MY OTHER MAC

Options
cvretis
cvretis Member

I use Q classic Premier on my Mac in my office and my wife uses it on her Mac laptop. Why does the entry on one Mac not cross over to the other Mac?

Thanks In Advance

Charlie

Comments

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Because Quicken doesn't work like that. You can sync data between a desktop computer and a mobile device or to the web, but you can't sync data across multiple desktop computers. You need to pick one computer where your Quicken file will live, and the other person can make updates via the Quicken on the Web or via the iPhone or Android apps.

And if you're thinking about putting your Quicken file on iCloud or some other online storage so you can both use the same file, that doesn't work reliably & will ultimately cause data corruption problems, so don't do it. Your Quicken file needs to be on a drive on your computer in a location that isn't synced to iCloud.

The only possibility is to use iCloud to trade the file back & forth. You compress your Quicken file into a .zip and upload that to iCloud. When your wife wants to use it she downloads the .zip file to her Mac, uncompresses it & opens it in Quicken. When she's done she zips it up & uploads it to iCloud replacing the old file. Then the next time you want to use it you do the same thing - download, unzip, make your changes, then zip & reupload. The two of you just need to coordinate so you don't both have it downloaded at the same time.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 6
    Options

Quicken is not a multi-user networked based system -
    Why did you expect that ?

The Quicken QDF Data File only lives on one computer at a time -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Following what @Jon says, you can also use Quicken's built-in backup to auto-backup to the cloud folder. Quicken backups are automatically compressed. So that eliminates a step for you. You still have to transfer the cloud file back to you computer each time.

The one caution is to make sure you have a checkout process so that you do not end up with both you having a live copy of the data file on your local computer, each making changes at the same time, as when you back up your file, you will overwrite the other person's copy, and therefore, their changes.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

This discussion has been closed.