Options
wtd60
wtd60 Member, Windows Beta Beta
edited April 28 in Reports (Windows)

Quicken Premiere
Version 865.14
Build 27.2.65.14
Windows 11 Home

Sometimes I task Quicken with making a report and I request a report that seems to cover more time than Quicken can handle. This report has been in process for over an hour and I can only stop it by using Ctrl-Alt-Delete and then use Task Manager to kill the Quicken task. As I've killed it in an uncontrolled way, I don't feel comfortable using the existing data file, so I restore it from the most recent backup file and proceed with the report using a smaller time interval. It's hard to predict which reports can handle long time intervals and with can't. In the first case, it's the Report Spending with 'Itemized Categories' and i chose time interval = all dates. It's been running for about an hour and I have no indication of the % progress and I've used task manager to kill Quicken to regain some control.

In the 2nd case, I chose the Report Spending with 'Spending by Category' and it finished its operation within seconds.

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can change the default time period for reports by going to Edit > Preferences > Reports and Graphs. I set it to Yearly.

I have a similar problem with the default Register report that is accessed from an account's gear menu > More reports. My main checking account goes back 24 years and has over 9,000 transactions. The report takes a very long time to come up and there is no way to stop it. Unfortunately this report does not honor the default setting.

QWin Premier subscription
  • wtd60
    wtd60 Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

Thanks, I didn't know about the Register/Gear/More Reports option. That could be useful.

The thing is though, that I really do want to export the itemized category report for all time. It's much easier to analyze that data in excel than it is in Quicken. Every once in a while I forget which report is fast and which takes forever and I click on the forever one (itemized transactions). It yields good data if I select only a few years of history. However, I've been a user since Quicken's inception and I have data going back 40+ years. If I get data-greedy and pick a time history that's too long, then I get trapped in the never ending report generation process. I haven't figured out how far back in time I can go before it's trouble. Until Quicken can handle any requested time history, it needs to offer a way to stop, halt, pause the process. (Assuming pause would give me an button to stop or continue). It also needs a progress bar. After an hour of report generation, is it making any progress at all? is it almost done? does it have hours to go? should I assume it's in a never ending loop and kill Quicken with Task manager? If I kill it, then is the data safe or must I restore from backup?

Consider this one or more feature requests:

1. Progress bar
    2. 64 bit program (hopefully that would speed up the process)
    3. Stop/pause button during report/search processes

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

A progress bar and a way to stop the report generation would certainly be useful.

You must also be careful with Find/replace if your Find will return a large number of results.

Also note that for reports like your second example there is a limit of 250 columns.

QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I use the preference setting (Edit / Preferences / Reports and graphs) to "Customize report/graph before creating". That means foremost EVERY report I initiate first presents me with the customization settings. Some users might find that onerous. For me, it forces me to think about what time frames, what account/category/security settings etc. I really want at that time. Sometimes, it is one extra click, but not usually.

In your case, you might find that lets you avoid unintended but predictable long creation times.

This discussion has been closed.