Pending transactions not behaving as assumed

Options

Checking account with BankPlus setup with EWC. Pending transactions enabled. Checking account selected to show pending in register. Downloaded Quicken update. Performed OSU. No pending transactions in register. Below is a capture of a pending transaction on this checking account at the time of running OSU.

Comments

• rpgarrett75703
    rpgarrett75703 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Chase supports pending transactions AFAIK (Chase appears in the account list when I select "Account Settings" in the pending transactions preferences window). However, enabling pending transactions in Quicken and performing an OSU doesn't show any even though there is a pending transaction shown in my Chase mobile app. I'm not sure how EWC and EWC+ work but it could be a timing issue. The pending transactions may not show up until tomorrow assuming they are still pending.

Also, this seems strange. When I click on "Pending transactions preferences" it says the feature is currently paused. It could be an oversight in updating Quicken help. Also, does this include credit card accounts? My Discover card uses EWC but doesn't appear in the account list when I select "Account Settings" in the pending transactions preferences window. Perhaps Discover doesn't support pending transactions and the account list only displays accounts that do even though they are using EWC or EWC+.

• Rick56
    Rick56 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I too see the "feature is currently paused" message in preferences. I took this to mean that Quicken folks are responding to the pending transaction feature requests by enabling the preference to see how many folks would actually be using it in practice. My own Helpdesk history may be showing though…… Not sure this will be a useful feature but, we will undoubtedly learn more in the days to come.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

To show pending transactions in the register you have to have automatic transaction entry mode on.

If you are going to have that option off and have transactions going through the tabs at the bottom of the register, then you are going to get a "Pending transactions tab" and that is where you will see them, and they can't be accepted into the register until they are posted/cleared.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Note that paused message seems to be an old message that is still in the help pages since they last tried to rollout the pending transactions feature. Pending transactions are downloading today.

Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I just bought up that help page again and the "paused" is now gone.

Signature:
  • Rick56
    Rick56 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Confirmed that "Paused" is gone and I now see pending transactions (after a new update)

• mikeweberatl
    mikeweberatl Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Ahh… I didn't see that Pending Transactions tab. Now that I know what to look for, I see my pending items showing up now.

However, I'll probably never look there because it's just not that obvious. Most likely I am going to review my downloaded items then close the register and go to the next account. They should find a way to make it more "in my face" like displaying it in the register (but it can be a locked and show up in a different color and just be there for informational purposes.)

• MSStateDawg
    MSStateDawg Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks. Was not even aware of the Pending Transactions tab. I'm blind, dumb, stupid, or ignint. Not sure which.

Another question, though. I'm connected to Amex using EWC+. There are currently 13 pending transactions on the Amex site. I've updated Amex with "Show pending transactions in register" both on and off but they don't appear in the Pending Transactions tab. Please, advise.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you want "in your face" turn on automatic transaction entry mode.

This is all pretty new and if work seamlessly with all financial institutions is "unknown". We will have to wait and see on that. Also, it might be the case for some financial institution they don't show "old pending" transactions, just the new ones that have shown up since it was turned on.

Signature:
  • dbottaro
    dbottaro Member ✭✭
    Options

It's great that we have access to Pending Transactions and they can be included in visible balances. This finally makes the account register accurate to the REAL available bank balance.

HOWEVER, and this is a big one for me… The Pending Balance does NOT show up correctly in the Projected Balances section where I literally PLAN financial decisions. For example, one account has two pending deposits that cover a regular recurring transction. That account doesn't show those pending deposits (or any pending transactions) in the Projected Balances, making it a pretty useless feature for planning.

Unless I am missing some option somewhere this feels like a pretty big omission from the Pending Transactions feature.

• mikeweberatl
    mikeweberatl Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Ok, I'm going to try that option. I haven't been using it.

Still think they could present the Pending transactions differently for everyone else, though.

• Rick56
    Rick56 Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 5
    Options

I think I prefer having the pending transaction on a tab rather than in my register. I know I prefer reviewing my downloaded transactions before they just go straight into the register. Just my preference.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I use automatic transaction entry mode, so I'm sort of partial to the way it is displayed there, but I agree that if one is going to have transactions going through a "Downloaded.. " tab then they all should do the same for consistency.

This is definitely something they learned/changed since the last time they tried adding pending transactions.

I notice they also made it pretty clear that they aren't going to support this with Direct Connect.

Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Just be aware of the fact, that "automatic transaction entry mode" doesn't mean "download and forget". You need to "review" your transactions just like you would have if you were accepting them into the register. You will get New or New Match on the new cleared transactions, click on that to "Review" it and clear the New/New Match status.

Signature:
  • Rick56
    Rick56 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I was not aware of that since I have never used that. That doesn't sound like automatic transaction entry. What is the difference if you still have to review and accept the transactions? Is this the automatic entry you are referring to?

Sorry if I am missing something.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, that is the mode I'm referring to.

With this mode off you select the downloaded transaction in the Downloaded Transactions tab, change it in the register if needed and then select Accept to put it into the register.

With this mode on all the downloaded transactions go into the register, but it is still subject to all the problems you might have had going through the Downloaded Transactions tab. As in a transaction might not get the category or payee you wanted and needs to be changed.

So, a "review process" is needed to make sure that all the transactions are correct. And in fact, I should have stated that there is more than one way to do this. The main thing to understand is that the new downloaded transactions will get the status (the first/Blue icon column) of New or New Match. Note you can expand that column to see the text and not just the icon. You can click on that status to mark it as reviewed, you can also select to mark all the transactions as reviewed from the same menu/click. Since all the download transactions are in the register you can scan them all at once and then just mark them all reviewed (Marking a transaction reviewed clears the New/New Match status). Also, if you edit a transaction, it will be marked reviewed/clear the New/New Match status. You can also just run a reconcile and that will also mark those transactions reviewed/clear the New/New Match status.

WARNING do not use automatic reconcile mode with automatic add to banking register mode. Reconcile only cares about the amounts, and so you can reconcile without having your categories be correct. You should always review your downloaded transactions to make sure they are correct before kicking off a reconcile.

If you need manual match, the way you do it in this mode is first correct the amount of the pre-entered transaction to match the downloaded amount. Then click on the pencil icon/status of the manually entered transaction and then select Match to downloaded.

Signature:
  • rpgarrett75703
    Options

I had trouble this morning with the pending transactions reported for my Discover card. It showed I had 5 pending transactions while the Discover website and mobile app show only 3. The reason is 1 transaction was cleared with this morning's download while at the same time showing up in my pending transactions list and the other problem was that a pending transaction was duplicated showing up twice in the list. I proceeded to delete those 2 erroneous pending transactions from the list.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I did an update and don't see the new pending transactions. Two theories here, one is that I did an update earlier and Quicken is caching the result and not actually doing an update to get the transactions (very possible since the update was way faster than it should be for a full update). The other possible answer is just what Chase is sending. As in it might not be sending the transactions on the weekend.

One thing I can say for sure is that people that expect Quicken to be "real time" are going to be disappointed.

Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The remaining pending transactions just downloaded, so I suspect it is Quicken's caching of the downloaded transactions is what is delaying them getting downloaded into the register.

Signature:
  • KeithSCDC
    KeithSCDC Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I am not getting the purpose of the pending transaction. It downloads to Pending Transaction tab and the only option I have is to delete. I cannot match or add to the register. I click on the pencil Uncleared, match to download and nothing shows up, even though the exact transaction is in my downloaded pending transaction.

Nice to see what is pending, but the only option I have is to delete transaction.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Since the transactions are pending and may not go through, they aren't yet considered "downloaded transactions" in the sense that you can now for instance reconcile with them. And note the behavior is different depending on if you have the preference to for automatically adding them to the register or not.

With that preference off they go to the Pending transactions tab and as you have said you can only view/delete them, and they will not affect any balance.

If the preference is on the pending transactions will go into the register with a status of pending provides you selected to show them. You also have the choice of whether they will affect your register balance or not. On top of that you have one more option than you do with the option off. Besides being able to delete them you can also edit them. If you edit them, they become a manually edited transaction (uncleared). You should notice two things about that. One is that this isn't a process for matching your existing transactions (actually since I don't normally manually enter transactions and therefore haven't tested the possibility of matching an existing manually entered transaction I'm not 100% sure it can't be done, but I doubt it. The transactions aren't clear/official downloaded in the same sense.).

You will note the pending transactions still shouldn't be in the Online Balance and that you can't include them in a reconcile.

Signature:
  • KeithSCDC
    KeithSCDC Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Ugh, I don't have anything set for automatically in Quicken. I have learned with Quicken, anything automatically means, at some point, I will be going to backup for a restore, since Quicken takes the liberty of changing my data without my consent.

Quicken Automatic = restore and loss of data and time.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

UPDATE: I have had a chance to test what happens if you edit a pending transaction. It will create a manual entry transaction. As such you should never do it if you already have a manually entered transaction for that transaction or you will end up with two manually entered transactions and only one will be able to be matched to the downloaded transaction when that happens.

Signature:
  • ulrichson1
    ulrichson1 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

ok so after it first started downloading pending transactions it works on all of my credit cards but not my bank. It deletes prior transactions that I have put in already and then my balance is screwed up. Example I know I am going to have a direct deposit from whoever and I know the amount I will put in on that date to see what balance is and same with bills I know I will pay on certain dates and amounts quicken will delete these and I will have to go out and come back in and they will be back. I have show pending in register and balance turned off. Is this still being worked on?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

We have no insight into what is "being worked on". But I would say that the best time to send in bug reports and generally report problems is right after a feature is released. I suggest that you create your own question by selecting the New Post at the top of this page and put in as much detail as you can. That way it might get more visibility. I would also select Help → Report a problem and submit the problem that way too. And if you are feeling really enterprising you can contact Quicken Support and see what they say about it.

The more feedback they get the more likely the problem will be addressed.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Signature:
  • rpgarrett75703
    Options

One issue with pending transactions with Chase just came up today. I was expecting a pension payment (not Social Security) direct deposit. It is listed in pending transactions and the amount is correct. However, the payee listed is not correct. The payee is listed as "Social Security Administration" which is not correct. It should be from the company that I retired from. When I sign in to the Chase website it shows the pending transaction correctly for both the payee and amount. Anyone else have this issue?