Help, Renaming Rules Aren't Working

Options
deex2
deex2 Member ✭✭

The renaming rules I created were working or at least some of them were for a while, but then they all stopped working.

I have manually deleted and recreated ALL of them and yet they still don't seem to work.

Anybody have any suggestions as to why or how to fix this?

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Check the setting at Edit > Preferences > Downloaded transactions. The box next to "Use my existing renaming rules" should be checked. Also if you click on the arrow next to a rule to view the details, it should generally say "If payee contains" and the text to look for. If it says "If Quicken name is" that 'is exactly what it will look for. Select the detail line and click on the pencil to edit the rule if necessary.

QWin Premier subscription
  • deex2
    deex2 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you for your reply I had already done that prior to deleting and recreating new rules…

• Jim_Harman
    edited April 15
    Options

You can see what is going on with renaming by enabling the Downloaded Payee column in your register.

Also you can turn off "Automatically accept transactions" and hover over the transaction in the downloaded transactions area to see the Payee before renaming.

Please let us know what you find.

• deex2
    deex2 Member ✭✭
    Options

Downloaded Payee column is and has been activated in my register, but that doesn't help solve the renaming rules from not working/applying

• Jim_Harman
    Options

Enabling the Downloaded Payee column won't fix anything automatically for you, it will help you to understand what is happening in more detail than "doesn't work".

If you provide some specific examples, maybe we can help. For example, what was the Downloaded payee? What does the Reaming rule say? What are your settings in the Downloaded transactions settings? What is the resulting Payee before you make any manual corrections?

• deex2
    deex2 Member ✭✭
    Options

I know Downloaded Payee column being enabled won't fix anything, I just didn't why it you referenced enabling it to begin with? I always have it enabled, that's how I know my once working renaming rules are no longer working.

In Preferences: Downloaded Transactions section: all boxes in "Renaming Rules" are checked

Why do you need to know what my Downloaded Payee is or what the Renaming rule says? Posting that isn't really going to help you help me?

When i created the Renaming Rule, the name i want(ed) to change was copied and pasted into the "Quicken will rename…." section so it was identical to the "downloaded payee".

Don't know what you mean by "What is the resulting Payee before you make any manual corrections?

• Jim_Harman
    edited April 16
    Options

So far you have told us is that you have the "Use my existing renaming rules" option enabled in Preferences but your renaming rules don't work.

I have that option enabled and my rules work for me. I am trying to help you figure out why your rules are not working.

Is the downloaded payee changed at all, or is the payee recorded in your register exactly the same as what was downloaded?

Does the detail line of your renaming rule say "If payee contains" or "If Quicken name is"? If you copy the complete downloaded Payee and the Payee is a little different the next time, a different store number or order number for example, the rule will not apply.

An example of a downloaded Payee, your rule, and the result might help explain what is going on. Screenshots would be a big help.

For example, this Renaming Rule

makes this change to the downloaded Payee.

This discussion has been closed.