Does Schwab work well with Quicken, especially for downloading transaction??

Options

I currently have my investments held at LPL after recently moving to a new financial advisor. LPL does NOT handle transaction downloads. It only handles a simple transfer of current positions by account, and they do not do that well. They also hamper the one-step update process by including a 2 factor authentication process into the downloads etc.

I am looking at moving this over to Schwab. Does Schwab support transaction downloading to Quicken? Do they do it well? If not, what are the issues??

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 3
    Options

(EDIT 5/3/2024: Corrected some incorrect information regarding Schwab and Tracking method.)

It is my understanding that Schwab downloads with Express Web Connect+ (EWC+) and does support Complete Tracking of investment accounts so you would be able to view all transactions details. I cannot speak to how well the Schwab EWC+ downloads process works. Hopefully someone who is downloading from Schwab with post here to provide more insight on this.

Fidelity downloads with Direct Connect (DC) and does support the Complete Tracking view you want showing specific transactions details. There are other brokerages that do this as well but I don't have a clear understanding of which others do this.

It is also my understanding that LPL does also support the Web Connect (WC) connection method which does support Complete Tracking. But WC does not work with OSU. Instead you need to log into your online LPL account and manually download the transactions in QFX file format (also sometimes called "Quicken" or "Web Connect" formats). Once downloaded to your computer, you can then import the QFX file into Quicken. The first time you do this will be a little more manual than many people like but after the first download/import is linked to the correct account in Quicken "remembers" it which makes the process go more quickly and pretty smoothly.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2
    Options

for us - our Schwab downloads just fine - all transactions and Quicken even can setup a virtual Linked Cash acct to track your cash avail… along with the complete register of transactions using OSU and EWC+ downloads

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks for correcting me on this. I know that at least one brokerage that made the change to EWC+ no longer supports Complete Tracking of investment accounts and for some reason I thought Schwab was one of those. I don't know where I got that idea because doing a search about this in the Oct-Dec 2021 window (when Schwab cut in EWC+) produced no results stating that Complete Tracking was no longer available. I have corrected my original post above.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11

• drfleming
    drfleming Member ✭✭
    Options

I have had problems off and on with Schwab not downloading or with delayed downloads. I’ve spoken to Schwab and was told that the problem was not with them. The problem is with Quicken. I’ve also had some similar problems with downloads from other investments and banking firms.