Is it possible to convert a Microsoft Money file to Quicken?

Adelson Smania
Adelson Smania Member ✭✭

Hello Everyone,

I've just subscribed to the Quicken Classic Premier plan of Quicken, hoping I could follow the instructions that I've found in this article to import my Microsoft Money file:

But when I look at my File menu, these are the only options I can see - no "File Import" menu option. 😕

Am I missing something? I've been using Microsoft Money for decades (no joke) so hopefully there will be a solution. 😊

Thanks for the help!

Adelson

Best Answer

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 Quicken Windows Subscription Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

You have to Open your Quicken QDF data file - and THEN do the IMPORT -

but - it seems like there are several major hurdles mentioned in that other article -

Any currently supported version of Quicken for Windows (Deluxe or higher feature level required)
    will directly import a MS Money data file into the currently open Quicken data file (File menu / File Import / MS Money File) ,
    but
    1 - the MS Money file must have been opened at least once with MS Money Plus Sunset Edition (V 17)
    so it's already been converted to the latest MS Money file format.
    2 - you MUST have MS Money Plus Sunset Edition installed on the same computer that Quicken runs on.
    3 - unless fixed, MS Money will not run on Windows 10.
    If you have a computer running Vista, 7, 8 or 8.1 (but NOT XP) use it for the conversion.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, the first thing that I'd do is to do a WINDOWS rename of your data file. Q frequently has problems with file names that contain spaces or punctuation and don't adhere to the 8.3 format (i.e, filename.qdf, where filename can be anything with 8 or fewer characters).

If you then click on that file, Q should open with it. Let us know if that changes your issue.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 Quicken Windows Subscription Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

You have to Open your Quicken QDF data file - and THEN do the IMPORT -

but - it seems like there are several major hurdles mentioned in that other article -

Any currently supported version of Quicken for Windows (Deluxe or higher feature level required)
    will directly import a MS Money data file into the currently open Quicken data file (File menu / File Import / MS Money File) ,
    but
    1 - the MS Money file must have been opened at least once with MS Money Plus Sunset Edition (V 17)
    so it's already been converted to the latest MS Money file format.
    2 - you MUST have MS Money Plus Sunset Edition installed on the same computer that Quicken runs on.
    3 - unless fixed, MS Money will not run on Windows 10.
    If you have a computer running Vista, 7, 8 or 8.1 (but NOT XP) use it for the conversion.

• Adelson Smania
    Adelson Smania Member ✭✭

Thanks for the answer! I've tried what you suggested, but got the error message below - so I do need to use the Import process.

• Adelson Smania
    Adelson Smania Member ✭✭

Thanks for the reply! And yes, that was my mistake - so basic. So, skipping the first screen and actually creating the file, the Import option was there.

Now I need to review all the accounts and transactions - as there were a lot of warning and errors - and see if I can adapt to Quicken after so many years using MS Money. 😊

Thanks once again!

This discussion has been closed.