How to open Quicken's exported CSV files in Mac Excel without granting access

jschaffe
jschaffe Member ✭✭✭✭
edited August 8 in Reports (Mac)

I frequently export CSV files from a Quicken Mac register or report and open it from the file menu (or VBA) in Mac Excel. For the past several years, I have to go through two dialogs to grant access to each file in Excel. Has anyone else experienced this and is there a way to open the file without having to endure this?

Thanks in advance!

J

Comments

• UKR
    UKR Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

When creating the export file in Q Mac, what folder are you writing this file to? Your Documents folder? Somewhere else that you don't normally have access to?

• jschaffe
    jschaffe Member ✭✭✭✭

Will try double clicking and taking screen shots next time i get the chance

• jschaffe
    jschaffe Member ✭✭✭✭

I’ll double check, but I believe that it is a folder I created under my home folder.

• jschaffe
    jschaffe Member ✭✭✭✭

OK, I just went through the process today, and here is a summary:

1. The csv files are saved to a sub folder under my home directory
    2. Simply double clicking a new csv file opens the file in Excel without challenge
    3. All the relevant file activity takes place in macros I've written to process the data from Quicken
    4. In one of the macros, I create a new xlsx file and save it into the same target directory as the csv files with no challenge whatsoever
    5. So the problem arises when one of the macros tests whether a file exists: DirResult = Dir(PathName) where PathName is the complete path including the file name.
    6. I've attached the 2 dialogs this call triggers when testing for the csv (but not the xls) files.

After clicking Select and then Grant Access (the target file is automatically selected, so that's a plus), the rest of the macro process sucessfully.

It's a bit of mystery to me. Next time I'll try just opening the file in the macro without using the Dir() call and see if the same thing happens.

Thanks!

• jschaffe
    jschaffe Member ✭✭✭✭

True. I didn't realize it was macro specific until now, and my Google searches have not uncovered anything helpful to this point. Even so, I thought this community might include folks who were more likely to encounter the problem because of the export report features. Now that I know it’s related to VBA, my searches might be more fruitful! Thanks for your response!

• jschaffe
    jschaffe Member ✭✭✭✭

Best I could find is to grant access to all my csv files at once: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/office/vba/office-mac/grantaccesstomultiplefiles . This reduces the 8 original dialogs to 2, so it's at least a nice improvement!

Thanks for everyone who thought about this!

• retird
    retird Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

What about making the file a shared file….

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• jschaffe
    jschaffe Member ✭✭✭✭

How does one do that?

• retird
    retird Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

Google share csv files in excel

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• jschaffe
    jschaffe Member ✭✭✭✭

Well, whether that prevents Excel from asking me to grant access or not, doesn’t it also mean sharing my files with Google?

This discussion has been closed.