One Step Update SUMMARY missing information

solostorm
solostorm Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

One Step Update SUMMARY does not show results for all accounts which have requested downloads/updates.

This includes not showing some accounts which have downloaded transactions or completed successfully where there were no new transactions to download.

This includes not indicating some accounts which failed to complete downloads.

Quicken Windows - Classic Business & Personal Version R58.14

Best Answer

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @solostorm

I am seeing this same issue and I am running an earlier version.

When did this behavior first begin for you? I think it started within the last week for me. When you say "This includes not indicating some accounts which failed to complete downloads." how did you determine that some accounts fail the download process? Are you seeing an error code?

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• solostorm
    solostorm Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

Hi @Frankx-

It's been happening for a while - but it has become a problem as I've missed some transactions and had some accounts not updating - and didn't realize that because quicken didn't tell me (I use Quicken to operate several businesses in addition to personal activities - and have a lot of accounts.

No error code. Simply no indication that something wasn't connecting and downloading.

I'm hoping to hear from Team Quicken.

• canoe32
    canoe32 Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭

All my Direct Connect accounts are updating, but are missing from the One Step Update summary. Even if one shows it failed during the update process, nothing appears in the update summary. Express Web Connect accounts are updating and displaying normally.

Using Quicken for Windows version R58.14

• Ajay2020
    Ajay2020 Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

Same issue since early August 2024….One Step Update appears to work properly, but One Step Update Summary fails to display all of the accounts that were Updated. The only confirmation I see that any specific account was actually updated is when such account has the "red mark" by it. This is very unsatisfactory, annoying, and potentially leading to erroneous information/assumptions.

I have posted about this previously, and the solution proposed did not fix it. I then reported that as a follow-up, but have not received any further messages, etc.

Sure would like Quicken to provide definitive directions for permanent fix. Running Version 58.14

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

For the accounts in question:

1. Account Register: Directly below the Account Name above and to the left of the Register, do you see the date and time of the last update and, if so, is it accurate or is it old? In addition, in that same line, does it show the connection method (Direct Connect, Express Web Connect or Express Web Connect+)?
    2. Account List: In the Transaction Download and the Last Download columns, what does it show for the connection method and the date and time of the last download? (If you do not see these columns, click on the "Options" button below the list and check those options.)

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R59.10 on Windows 11

• Ajay2020

@Boatnmaniac

1. Account Register: All credit card accounts (from Chase) show "Yes (Express Web Connect+). The ones that appear in the Summary also have the current/accurate date & time of Last Download. The ones that do not appear in my Summary all show Not Available, but they have also been recently successfully downloaded.

For Financial Institutions (Vanguard, Morgan Stanley, Fidelity), some show "Yes (Improve Connection)" or "Yes (web Connect)" or "No (Activate Downloads)". ALL OF THEM show Not Available in the Last Download column—even though they have recently been successfully downloaded.

Crazy, huh?

• Boatnmaniac
    edited September 22 Answer ✓

It sounds like perhaps your runtime.dat file might be corrupted. If that is the case, that file cannot be fixed but it can pretty easily be replaced. The steps to take to replace that file are found in the thread at the following link: Time date stamp [of last account update]. Scroll to the top of the thread and see my post under "Best Answer".

Let me know if this resolved the issue for you or if you have any questions.

• Ajay2020

@Boatnmaniac

Here is the result of my search for files named runtime.dat:

Are ALL of these files potentially suspect for my Quicken issues? Even the top one that seems to be related to my Epson printer software?

I am not PC expert, although I know my way around a bit. And can follow directions. I admit I get nervous when I do things like deleting files, as I do not want to impact anything unintentionally. And there is the fear of crippling other programs or deleting other data, etc.

If I delete just the two (2) files with the word Quicken in them, will that have any impact on any other program I have? Or any impact on how my Windows 10 will act/behave after I delete them? Or are they solely and exclusively associated with Quicken Classic that is installed on my PC?

Thanks for your continuing support.

• Boatnmaniac

I've never seen a runtime.dat file in my system that was not a Quicken file. Thanks for highlighting the Epson one. I would leave that one alone.

I certainly understand your concern about deleting any file(s) when you don't fully understand what they do and how that might impact your system. In fact, the first time I was told to do it I cringed and then first made a copy of it that I saved to a thumb drive….just in case.

Others have expressed similar concern about doing this. What some have suggested doing was to simply edit the name of the file to runtime_OLD.dat. Then they could leave the file there and if for some reason they wanted to undo the action they could simply delete the new runtime.dat file that Quicken created and then edit the "_OLD" out of the original file's name.

Also, it is not unusual to find multiple runtime.dat files in multiple locations. Most commonly, this occurs if there are multiple unique data files being used because each unique data file will have it's own unique runtime.dat file. If you have ever created a Quicken TEST file, that, too would have its own unique runtime.dat file. Even after you delete a Quicken data file that runtime.dat file will remain there.

If it will make you feel more comfortable, edit those 2 runtime.dat files in both of the Quicken paths to runtime_OLD.dat. Then you have an easy fallback should something go wrong with the creation of the new runtime.dat file(s).

• Ajay2020

@Boatnmaniac

Success!

Using your method to replace the runtime.dat file, my One Step Update Summary now shows 100% of my accounts—just like they did until early August. I am still working on the 2nd part of your suggestions to update each account so that each shows when last updated. Most of my accounts are A-OK, but there are some stragglers, and I will do them one by one.

Thanks so much for your suggestions and time. Much appreciated.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited September 24

@Ajay2020 - Great! As noted in my post in that thread I'd referenced, most of my accounts fixed the last update date/time on the first attempt to Reset or Deactivate/Reactivate the account but in one instance I needed to Deactivate/Reactivate 3X before the update date/time was resolved. I've seen others say they had experienced the same thing but all had said that eventually it all worked out well and was resolved. But I cannot recall anyone saying that they could not eventually resolve the issue entirely via the process in that referenced thread.

BTW, this is not an issue that you should be seeing frequently. For me, I last had to do it back in June 2023 (the data of the referenced discussion thread) and 15 months later I have not had a recurrence of this issue. I also have not seen others posting that they have had a recurrence after just a short time.