Create a useful Category/Transaction Detail Report in Quicken For Mac (248 Legacy Votes)

smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
What is needed is a category or transaction detail report like in QM2007 (and other versions of QWin). When included with the other report related features listed in this forum, it will achieve the level of versatility needed, such as with the following: * I have over 80 memorized reports, so with this feature would be extremely useful

Currently, the only way to get anywhere close to this is via the Category Summary report and select to show details. Unfortunately, it is hugely inflexible, providing very little control over its content and format.

As I have described in detail here in Request for Customizable Reporting Engine, a single properly designed detail report template can be used to create 3 different detailed reports for Category, Payee and Accounts. This same template could be easily modified to also create the Tag Detail report, by simply changing the order of columns. 

(The same approach can be use with a single summary report template to replace 4 existing Category, Payee and Accounts Summary, and even Tags reports.)

Of the 80+ memorized reports I have, over half of these are detail reports. So, this report is really needed.

(If you find this feature helpful, please be sure to click "VOTE" at the top of this page to increase the count of this post and therefore its visibility to other users and to the developers.)

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page, your vote will NOT be counted!

Click "Follow" at the top if you want to receive notifications of any replies to this thread.

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
5 votes

No Status · Last Updated

Comments

• smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    You may also want to add your VOTE to MANY types of reports and report features, here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/list-of-requests-for-report-types-and-related-fe...

Click the link above to go take a look at the list and vote for the ones you want to see implemented in Quicken for Mac. 

Be sure to scroll down the page, as some contain lists of related features.  Click on the link to EACH IDEA separatelyThen you click the VOTE button at the top of EACH page that opens up respectively to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of each feature, your vote will NOT be counted for THAT feature!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

edited August 2018
    I also highly recommend that you browse through the IDEAS section of this forum and VOTE for the request of each of the missing features to be added back into Quicken for Mac....to help direct the priorities of the developers.

To do that, I suggest you read this FAQ on how to filter the IDEAS to just show the ones for the Mac version, then VOTE to your heart's content:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-getsat-faq-how-to-filter-conversations-d...

The following are some of the many feature requests you will find: Be sure to scroll down the page, as some contain lists of related features. Click on the link to EACH IDEA separately that you are interested in, then click the VOTE button at the top of EACH page that opens up respectively to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of each feature, your vote will NOT be counted for THAT specific feature!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

edited December 2016

You may also want to add your VOTE to MANY types of reports and report features, here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/list-of-requests-for-report-types-and-related-fe...

Click the link above to go take a look at the list and vote for the ones you want to see implemented in Quicken for Mac. 

Be sure to scroll down the page, as some contain lists of related features.  Click on the link to EACH IDEA separatelyThen you click the VOTE button at the top of EACH page that opens up respectively to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of each feature, your vote will NOT be counted for THAT feature!

As I explain above , this is a very important point to make, and makes a big difference, by implementing the ability to choose what to subtotal, as this can cause a single report template to take the place of 4 different reports, that is the Category Detail, Tag Detail, Payee Detail AND Account Detail reports.

This is what I explain in detail in Request for Customizable Reporting Engine, which is a more practical and versatile approach, and is easier for developers once built, as there are fewer templates to maintain (as it is in QM2007). 

What makes this approach extremely convenient to the is because the user does not have to re-define your selection criteria for the report. There are many good reasons to be able to flip between these choices, like when analysing your data.

To the developers, please seriously consider this approach.

(I repeat this thought here too, in the discussion about Subtotals.)

• Snoopy FCSnoopy FC Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    You can get to one through the budget page.  I'd like to see them add the memo/notes to this detailed report.  That's the only thing I've seen. 
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • Snoopy FCSnoopy FC Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Adding a category detail report from the summary report would be helpful. 
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
    edited July 2017
    Snoopy FC said:

You can already get a Detailed category report on the Category Summary report, just not a separate detailed report like in QM2007 with all the features listed above.

edited December 2016

BTW, each of the links listed above is a feature request that you can vote on individually.

Click each link above to go vote for the ones you want to see implemented in Quicken for Mac. Click on the link to EACH IDEA separately. Then you click the VOTE button at the top of EACH page that opens up respectively to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of each feature, your vote will NOT be counted for THAT feature!

• Kim HamiltonKim Hamilton Member
    edited February 2018
    The QMac 2007 Transaction Detail report is just about the only report I run, and run it at least a dozen of times a month to analyze my transactions. I maintain 6 different Quicken data files for various needs (rentals, trust accounts, personal and family members accounts). The reporting flexibility of QM2007 works great, but falls very short with every new "upgrade". I just don't understand why the reporting function is not part of the new versions when it worked so well in QM2007 and previous versions. 
    edited January 2017

I also highly recommend that you browse through the IDEAS section of this forum and VOTE for the request of each of the missing features to be added back into Quicken for Mac....to help direct the priorities of the developers.

To do that, I suggest you read this FAQ on how to filter the IDEAS to just show the ones for the Mac version, then VOTE to your heart's content:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-getsat-faq-how-to-filter-conversations-d...

The following are some of the many feature requests you will find:

Be sure to scroll down the page, as some contain lists of related features. Click on the link to EACH IDEA separately that you are interested in, then click the VOTE button at the top of EACH page that opens up respectively to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of each feature, your vote will NOT be counted for THAT specific feature!

The following are some additional organized highlights of the many feature requests you will find: and many others.

Click on each link above, then be sure to scroll down each page, as some contain lists of related features. Then VOTE on EACH IDEA separately that you are interested in.

edited December 2016

And of course, we need the following feature on the report too. Add your Vote for the feature to Add Unreconciled Filter in Transaction Register and Reports

First
    , click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers.

• ludieludie Member
    edited March 2017

I could not agree more with the need for this Quicken 2016 to incorporate the reporting options from 2007. I am stymied trying to prepare end of year spending reports in the format i had memorized and used for years. The generic offerings, even when "customized" are too general to be useful. I tried exporting CVS files and editing in Excel but, man, is that tedious and unsatisfying. Had I known how reporting was going to regress, I NEVER would have upgraded. Very bummed. A 25-year user of Quicken. 
    edited July 2018

I have checked out every upgrade since QM 2007 and each have been inadequate for reporting compared to QM2007. I have not upgraded since then, waiting for this functionality to return. It is hard to understand that in 10 years, a great piece of software cannot retain the functionality of the previous versions. Upgrade is not an operative concept here. 
    edited September 2017
    Snoopy FC said:

You can get to one through the budget page.  I'd like to see them add the memo/notes to this detailed report.  That's the only thing I've seen. 

For this and other Budget related requests, see the List of Requests Related to Budgets

edited February 2017

Your repeated long canned response is not appreciated. No satisfaction is gotten. A response from inside of Quicken customer support would be much more satisfying
    edited July 2018

I'm a user just like you looking for some of the same things. But If you are looking for feedback from Quicken as to when they will deliver on this or any other feature, that is not likely to happen. Quicken rarely discusses or announces features ahead of time. 

One of the means they have offered for users to voice their interests and needs (aside from their feedback page) is by posting and voting on feature requests here in this forum. It is about as good as it gets. But by adding votes in this forum, the cumulative interest can be seen.

On the other hand, not many other software companies offer the same level of opportunity. So take it for what it's worth.

• edited October 2018
    Snoopy FC said:

I need separate detailed report like the one provided in QM2007 date delimited. 
    edited June 2017

Also, we need the following feature on the report too. Add your Vote to Add Ability to Organize Reports by Income and Expense vs Cash Flow

First
    , click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers.

edited December 2016

Also, we need the following feature on the report too. Add your Vote to Add Ability to Organize Reports by Income and Expense vs Cash Flow

First

edited July 2017
        Snoopy FC said:

Agreed...I have a few dozen saved reports that use this format. 

• LCoppLCopp Member
        edited September 2017

I just spent my time during the whole year using Quicken for Mac 2015 (after having to give up the 2009 version) only to discover that I cannot create the Reports I need!

I expected Quicken 2015 to be the same, if not better than the 2009 version, not unbelievably WORSE, to the point that it is USELESS to me as a business owner. How can that be????

This software used to be the most powerful accounting software on the market, only to be given a lobotomy in its current versions. It is USELESS for a business owner until it can make reports like the one shown above.
      • LCoppLCopp Member
        edited September 2017

The QMac 2007 Transaction Detail report is just about the only report I run, and run it at least a dozen of times a month to analyze my transactions. I maintain 6 different Quicken data files for various needs (rentals, trust accounts, personal and family members accounts). The reporting flexibility of QM2007 works great, but falls very short with every new "upgrade". I just don't understand why the reporting function is not part of the new versions when it worked so well in QM2007 and previous versions. 

I just spent my time during the whole year using Quicken for Mac 2015 (after having to give up the 2009 version) only to discover that I cannot create the Reports I need!

I expected Quicken 2015 to be the same, if not better than the 2009 version, not unbelievably WORSE, to the point that it is USELESS to me as a business owner. How can that be????

This software used to be the most powerful accounting software on the market, only to be given a lobotomy in its current versions. It is USELESS for a business owner until it can make reports like 2007 and 2009 versions.
      • TimTim Member
        edited March 2017
        Can you please help me with this report?

How do I set it so it doesn't show a category as "other," ie "Fuel: Other Auto:Fuel"?

I just want the subcategory "Fuel" of the category "Auto".
        edited October 2018
        Another key feature that needs to be included in the creation of reports is the 
        Ability to Include $0 (zero) Transactions in Reports.

You can add your VOTE by first, clicking on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page.

Your VOTES matter!