Retirement calculator for Mac??? Soon please.

I'd like to know when you'll add the retirement calculator to the Mac version of Quicken? Ive been waiting a few years now for this and still nothing for 2017 version. Also Id like to see the reconcilement side of the checking account be able to reconcile like the windows version. The only reason I switched to a Mac computer is for its reliability as well as staying free of versus.
Thanks, Tom

Comments

• Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2018
    Tom, you can have your cake & eat it by going to a VM using Parallels , bootcamp, etc.  whereby you can partition a portion of your hard drive to run windows based programs. Lots of folks here are unable to transition to QM due to deficiencies as it relates to QW..If you want to investigate  this approach you can search for many threads here on how to go about doing this.

Another way to go is the retirement template available in Numbers..Its not integrated into QM but at least its a way of getting what you need. This is not the ideal solution but its a way to move forward with QM. 

The QM folks under their new Management have committed to parity with QW, but it will take a few years.  Hope this helps.
  • Tim Bennett
    Tim Bennett Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I've always been a Mac user and have always used a VM to access Quicken Windows due to ONE feature missing on Mac: Retirement Planner.  Why is it so difficult to build this exclusive Windows-Quicken feature into the Mac product?

Quicken supposedly has new leadership why not evolve the Mac product. What am I missing here that's so fundamentally challenging to Quicken engineers?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017

I've always been a Mac user and have always used a VM to access Quicken Windows due to ONE feature missing on Mac: Retirement Planner.  Why is it so difficult to build this exclusive Windows-Quicken feature into the Mac product?

Quicken supposedly has new leadership why not evolve the Mac product. What am I missing here that's so fundamentally challenging to Quicken engineers?

What am I missing here...? 
    The fact there are MANY competing priorities...Quicken for Mac has been redeveloped and since late 2013 has been updated to include MANY missing features based on the Quicken Essentials for Mac product released in 2010. But with the divestiture of Quicken by Intuit, there has been a lot of churn to complete this endeavour. And with originally limited resources, this has been a slow progress. 

The good news is that we are told that Quicken has committed to doubling the Mac development team, and once the move away from Intuit is complete, resources will be more available to work on more Mac developments. 

That said, I recommend you look at the following list to identify any features being requested that you see missing in Quicken for Mac. You may want to add your vote to requests found on the List of Obstacles and Hindrances for Migrating from QM2007 or QWin to Quicken for Mac.
    This is a special list that draws attention to requests specifically related to this topic. Click the underlined link to visit that page to see the selection and add your VOTE to promote that list, to encourage others to vote. Then click on the links there to vote on the specific requests.

I also highly recommend that you browse through the IDEAS section of this forum and VOTE for the request of each of the missing features to be added back into Quicken for Mac....to help direct the priorities of the developers.

This includes adding your vote to Add Lifetime Planner to Quicken Mac.

To do that click on this underlined linkfollowing the instructions then VOTE to your heart's content
    Categorized List of IDEAS of Feature Requests and Enhancements to Vote On

This will help make the transition easier for you when you are ready to upgrade by seeking to have the features you are used to in QWin end up in the latest version.

Your VOTE matters!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Roland5@
    Roland5@ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018

Parallels does not work on my MacBook Pro.  Every time XOS is updated or Windows 10 is updated, Parallels crashed.  And, IMO, Quicken for MAC is superior (assuming that you add the retirement planner)
  • Roland5@
    Roland5@ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018

Tom, you can have your cake & eat it by going to a VM using Parallels , bootcamp, etc.  whereby you can partition a portion of your hard drive to run windows based programs. Lots of folks here are unable to transition to QM due to deficiencies as it relates to QW..If you want to investigate  this approach you can search for many threads here on how to go about doing this.

Another way to go is the retirement template available in Numbers..Its not integrated into QM but at least its a way of getting what you need. This is not the ideal solution but its a way to move forward with QM. 

The QM folks under their new Management have committed to parity with QW, but it will take a few years.  Hope this helps.

Parallels does not work on my MacBook Pro.  Every time XOS is updated or Windows 10 is updated, Parallels crashed.  And, IMO, Quicken for MAC is superior (assuming that you add the retirement planner)
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018

Remember that if you want to see this feature prioritized, go to the link above to add your vote.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018

The only reason I ever started using Quicken almost 30 years ago was to track my progress toward a retirement goal.  Why even set up a budget, track expenditures, manage investments etc unless you have an objective or goal (other than simply not over spending your income, which can be done without Quicken). How can Intuit sell a product that doesn’t allow tracking to reach a goal?  I have run Bootcamp on my Mac for several years, just so I can use Quicken and track toward a retirement goal.  But switching back and forth between Windows and iOS is SUCH a MAJOR inconvenience, just so I can run Quicken. I have to keep Windows patches current, all my passwords for my financial accounts are saved in Apple Key Chain, I had to sign up for MS OneDrive (while I keep all my other files backed up in iCloud... there are so many reasons why I hate running Quicken on BootCamp and I am seriously looking for another financial tracking software package so I can dump Quicken. I know so many people in my situation... Quicken is nuts fo not keeping the Retirement calculator updated, it really needs a lot of updating even in the Windows version... much less adding it to the Mac version. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018

As an in between solution you may want to consider running QWin in a VM, such as Parallels, Fusion, or VirtualBox, which can take over your Boot Camp partition. This way you do not have to reboot your Mac to use QWin.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018

Meanwhile, be sure to add your VOTE to Add Lifetime/Retirement Planner.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

This idea will eventually be added to the List of Requests for New CapabilitiesClick on the underlined link, then click FOLLOW at the top of the page so you can be notified of any new related IDEAS to which you could add your vote when they are added. Your VOTES matter!

This discussion has been closed.