Quicken for Mac 2017 v4.6.x Released

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    diane d said:

I had a major issue with this update which I posted about under the Investment category. Basically my Scottrade brokerage account thinks I still own 10 shares of CPQ (Compaq) which was bought out by HP many years ago. CPQ still exists under another name. It also doubled my stock sale from earlier this month, both transactions were downloaded but only one is correct. I will be happy to paste that post over here if it is a better place for it.

I'm also unhappy with how the import took my transactions that were not assigned a category and tried it's best to categorize them. Thing is, I leave them uncatagorzied until I process the receipt. I am able to run a report on all of these unfilled transactions and easily find and fix them (at least in my old Q2006/7). Now I have to look at the royal mess that Quicken decided to make for me and at this point, I'm not sure if it used its own categories only or used its own and some of mine. At this point I have no confidence in the accuracy of what is categorized which is important to me at tax time. Perhaps deleting all the Quicken standard categories would fix this issue. I don't ever remember Quicken imposing its own categories upon me and I've been a user since Version 1 (Mac)

Is there a vote to bring back the keyboard shortcuts that we've used for 20 years?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Michelle said:

After a few tries, it finally migrated me to the updated version last night. Total disaster. All my accounts are screwed up, missing transactions, have balances that are off etc.  It seems a lot had to do with manually edited transactions, but that doesn't seem to be all of it. Several of my accounts are many thousands of dollars off. I'm very unhappy, since this is a very inconvenient time for this to happen for me. Will there be a fix? Is there a way to go back to yesterday do I can salvage what I can?

I'm so glad I saw this post. I was able to go back to the version prior to Saturday and my old backup file and amazingly, my Scottrade account has the correct balance again.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    diane d said:

I had a major issue with this update which I posted about under the Investment category. Basically my Scottrade brokerage account thinks I still own 10 shares of CPQ (Compaq) which was bought out by HP many years ago. CPQ still exists under another name. It also doubled my stock sale from earlier this month, both transactions were downloaded but only one is correct. I will be happy to paste that post over here if it is a better place for it.

I'm also unhappy with how the import took my transactions that were not assigned a category and tried it's best to categorize them. Thing is, I leave them uncatagorzied until I process the receipt. I am able to run a report on all of these unfilled transactions and easily find and fix them (at least in my old Q2006/7). Now I have to look at the royal mess that Quicken decided to make for me and at this point, I'm not sure if it used its own categories only or used its own and some of mine. At this point I have no confidence in the accuracy of what is categorized which is important to me at tax time. Perhaps deleting all the Quicken standard categories would fix this issue. I don't ever remember Quicken imposing its own categories upon me and I've been a user since Version 1 (Mac)

diane,

Which shortcuts are you missing? Did you know that if the action you want a shortcut for is available via a main menu bar item, you can customize it in macOS System Preferences?...

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25377?locale=en_US

Here are a couple of specific IDEA threads:
    Add keyboard shortcuts to switch accounts
    Add Keyboard Shortcut to Jump to Other Side of Transfer Transaction

Here's the whole index of IDEA threads (thanks @smayer97!):
    EXPANDED List of Categorized IDEAS of Feature Requests and Enhancements to Vote On for Quicken for Mac | Quicken Customer Community

Also, I've customized a bunch of keyboard shortcuts using Keyboard Maestro (https://www.keyboardmaestro.com). If you're not familiar, KM is a very powerful macro utility for Mac. It does cost $36. I use it to customize many things, not just Quicken.

I describe some of the Quicken shortcuts I've made here: KM Mark As Reviewed macro and here: Keyboard Maestro macros. They are available to download as a KM library here: Quicken 2017 for Mac Macros - Library.  Note that they will likely need to be tweaked for your particular machine so it will take a little bit of scripting skill to use some of these.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    diane d said:

Thanks. I guess it just feels like whoever wrote this was not someone who used it for many years. I have a degree and programming and realize it was a full re-write which is not easy. I find the current look of financial packages to be cluttered and not at all like a register.

As for keystrokes, I use Cmd-E to split transactions all the time, and unless I'm missing something when I enter a new one, it requires a mouse click now. Keeping my hands on the keyboard works best. Tab enter etc. I really don't want to touch the mouse at all and I was able to do this with versions up to 2007.

Cmd-N seems to still work. 

I also always used Cmd-A to bring up my account list and then would hit the first letter of the account I want, enter, and my register is open. Back-tabbing does not seem to bring me to the sidebar so that I can scroll down to pick my account. Again, it's hands off the keyboard and another click.

I realize I'm late to the party as I didn't try any other versions after the fiasco that was Essentials and didn't install this version until many months after I bought it.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will check them out.
  • RickO
    edited October 2017
    diane d said:

diane, There are both "Add Split" and "Show Splits" items in the Transactions menu. You can assign your own custom shortcuts to one of those (e.g., Cmd-E) in System Preferences: 

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25377?locale=en_US

No mouse click needed for splits after you do that.

I also find it annoying to have to reach for the mouse to change accounts. Hence the account select macros I created in KM. It's not elegant, nor should it be needed, but at least it works.

Here are three posts with IDEAs to add some functions to the menu bar and thus allow the user to assign keyboard shortcuts via System Preferences:

Add a "Registers" menu item to the Accounts menu | Quicken Customer Community

Add "Set Status of Selected Transactions to" to menu bar | Quicken Customer Community

QM 2017: add an Update Quotes menu item to the menu bar | Quicken Customer Community

You may want to go to each of these and VOTE for them (upper right) to increase their visibility to the developers. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    diane d said:

Thank you AGAIN! Guess I should've signed up as a beta tester years ago but I think Essentials traumatized me and I put my head in the sand and went back to Q2006.

One last thing, is there a way to prevent Quicken Mac from adding placeholders in brokerage accounts? I'm guessing that was my problem when my Scotttrade account doubled due to a security that no was bought out. I've found instructions on how to prevent the Windows version from doing that but I can't seem to find the same on the Mac side. In the meantime I'm back on the version from earlier last week. No one has responded to my thread on that from yesterday.
  • RickO
    edited October 2017
    diane d said:

I have to admit that I don't really understand when and how placeholders appear. (Perhaps John will chime in here.)

It has something to do with Quicken thinking there's a mismatch between the share totals the brokerage is reporting and those within Quicken. But they are sometimes just wrong.

The good news is that you can usually just delete the placeholder transactions and they don't return.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    diane d said:

I am voting on your comments and really don't know protocol here. I was going to add a comment but I'm not sure it's the right thing to do but I think it goes hand in hand with the Account List. It would be nice if the sidebar can be hidden. That gives more room for the register and if an account list can be brought up with a simple keystroke it accomplishes the same thing.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    diane d said:

Yes, that's exactly what seemed to happen but I didn't find the placeholder.

I bought 10 shares of Compaq in the 1990s. Compaq was then bought out by HP and those show in my portfolio. But I guess the SELL/BUY wasn't recorded correctly in the version I imported into Q2017.

CPQ still exists today and the latest update added it to my portfolio at todays price - but it's not HP or Compaq. I couldn't find a way to delete the security and of course it is valid history for my account so I don't want to destroy it completely. 

I didn't find the other info until this morning, after I'd already dragged my old version out of the trash. So maybe I'll play with that later.
  • RickO
    edited October 2017
    diane d said:

Re: Hiding the sidebar... there's already an IDEA post for that:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/move-or-hide-the-accounts-column-quicken-2017-ma...

In the mean time, if you double click an account in the sidebar, it will open in its own window which you can expand to full screen without the sidebar. If you're in macOS full screen mode, it expands to full screen automatically.
  • RickO
    edited October 2017
    diane d said:

Re: Compaq... I'll respond on your other thread.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Just upgraded to 4.6.6. on Mac then downloaded new transactions from USAA.  All came in with category of "uncategorized", which is annoying as....  Prior to the new update(s), downloaded transactions automatically entered the categories. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    diane d said:

Perfect and thanks! I should just go through all the ideas tonight :)
  • fayejean
    fayejean Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Bob said:

@ Quicken Marcus: There does seem to be an issue with the upgrade and subsequent problems with Direct Connect downloads. Personally, I have 11 accounts in various institutions (checking, savings, credit cards, retirement and brokerage). All downloaded perfectly with Direct Connect for years. Since the upgrade, nine accounts transitioned to v.4.6.2 and are working fine. 

However, two accounts changed from Direct Connect to Quicken Connect and no longer connect and download transactions (according to the Account Status window). I've tried a number of different approaches, including Change Connection Type and Deactivate Downloads and Set Up Transaction Downloads. To no avail. The result is that the account preferences show that Quicken Connect is active and no downloads occur. The Account Status window shows no connection since before the update to v.4.6.2 (Build 46.19020.100). Curiously, one of the accounts that failed to transition is one of two Chase credit cards that share the same ID and password on the Chase website. Both had worked fine for years in v.4.5.8. 

I've deactivated downloads for the time being and am hoping for at least an acknowledgement that the problem has been noted. I'll use manual updates for now. 

Thanks for the help. I know you're under the gun right now. Posting this in several locations. 

I see this too.  Every time I update, one or two accounts register an update, but the others show a "last update" one to several days earlier.   Do the new Quicken updates only register a connection if there is actually something new to download?  This is confusing since it gives the appearance that the connection didn't work. 
  • RickO
    edited October 2017
    Bob said:

@ Quicken Marcus: There does seem to be an issue with the upgrade and subsequent problems with Direct Connect downloads. Personally, I have 11 accounts in various institutions (checking, savings, credit cards, retirement and brokerage). All downloaded perfectly with Direct Connect for years. Since the upgrade, nine accounts transitioned to v.4.6.2 and are working fine. 

However, two accounts changed from Direct Connect to Quicken Connect and no longer connect and download transactions (according to the Account Status window). I've tried a number of different approaches, including Change Connection Type and Deactivate Downloads and Set Up Transaction Downloads. To no avail. The result is that the account preferences show that Quicken Connect is active and no downloads occur. The Account Status window shows no connection since before the update to v.4.6.2 (Build 46.19020.100). Curiously, one of the accounts that failed to transition is one of two Chase credit cards that share the same ID and password on the Chase website. Both had worked fine for years in v.4.5.8. 

I've deactivated downloads for the time being and am hoping for at least an acknowledgement that the problem has been noted. I'll use manual updates for now. 

Thanks for the help. I know you're under the gun right now. Posting this in several locations. 

Yes, for Quicken Connect accounts, the last update timestamp is now only changed when new transactions are downloaded. Direct Connect accounts' timestamps still change when an update is attempted.

I agree it's confusing. We are hoping they will add a "last download" column and provide different timestamps for the different cases.
  • ozarkcanoer
    ozarkcanoer Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Is Quicken for Mac 2017 v.4.6.6 the last 'critical update' in this series of updates?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

Is Quicken for Mac 2017 v.4.6.6 the last 'critical update' in this series of updates?

so far ;-)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• circles
    circles Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017

I am using Quicken for Mac 2017 - how do I move some transactions from Quickbooks Self Employed to the current version of Quicken for Mac 2017.  I have also done the Quicken upgrade
  • RickO
    edited October 2017

circles... your question is completely off topic for this thread. Please post your own new question.
  • JOHN M MALONEY
    JOHN M MALONEY Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I also have a problem with my Chase accounts not syncing too well.  
  • Brendan
    Brendan Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I've seen two issues since upgrading to 4.6.x.  I'm at 4.6.6 however, I'm not sure when the issue was introduced as I've installed almost every version released of 4.6.x.

Both issues are with BOA - Online bill payment

I noticed payees duplicated in Quicken but not at BOA.  I often use the description field to add more info, and I noticed I have many duplicates such as:

Toyota Loan  - Unused
    Toyota Loan{car} - 44 uses

For now, I merged them.  (EDIT:  Ugh! They come back.)

Check under Window / Payees and check some of your online payees (ones with a Green $ sign)

The second issue that I have seen is that I used to be able to pay Discover two days out.  Quicken seems to now want a week even though the withdrawal from account seems to happen sooner.  For example, the withdraw date may be 10/6 with a payment date of 10/12.  I can log into BOA and move the date- in this example I was able to move it to 10/10.  I assume I could not go sooner due to the Monday 10/9 holiday.

Anyone else see these?

Brendan
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    My bank account has not synced anything since Monday.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    I have trouble with both Vanguard and Bank of America connections. I know those are two very obscure organizations and you may not have time to make sure things work with them, but if you can look into it I would really appreciate it. I'm sorry this is so hard for you. As a paying customer I know it is my job to listen to you complain about how hard things are, deal with daily problems, and take my time to give you information to do your work in testing and quality.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    diane d said:

I have a similar problem with a Schwab brokerage account - multiple duplicate holdings, generally one looks like an old version and one the current.  All together these inflate the account holdings by about 20%, quite a mess.  I tried going to a recent backup that was correct, but Quicken went online to update the accounts, and created the same mess again.
  • HansT
    HansT Member, Windows Beta, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    As of 4.6.6, I'm still experiencing a nightmare re account updates.  Of my 18 online accounts, only 4-6 successfully update on any given day.  The others haven't updated in over a month, according to the "Account Status" window.  Plus, the dates showing for the un-updated accounts are insane, e.g. 2017/09/2217 or 2017/09/1517.  And, every time I attempt an update, I get the dreaded "OFX #-1002" error.  HELP!!!imageimage
  • Jay McAlevy
    Jay McAlevy Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I wish they would tell us that they are working on updating the accounts on line. I use WFargo and i end up asking 3 times before something happens. I could just be working in the background and i dont know.  It has gone from super slow to I maybe doing something.
  • RickO
    edited October 2017

I wish they would tell us that they are working on updating the accounts on line. I use WFargo and i end up asking 3 times before something happens. I could just be working in the background and i dont know.  It has gone from super slow to I maybe doing something.

In QM2017, the circle-arrow icon at the top of the sidebar spins while Quicken Connect accounts are being updated and during All Account update.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Unconfirmed
    edited October 2017

Hey RickO...why does Quicken Mac 2017 now update via Direct Connect, show the Account Status window and THEN download via Quicken Connect?

Shouldn't the Account Status window show AFTER all transactions have been downloaded?  I find this very confusing now...as I have to watch the circle-arrow continue to spin to figure out when it's done downloading.  
  • RickO
    edited October 2017

I have no idea. I only have D/C accounts and I usually update one FI at a time.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017

I can't seem to find the update. Even the Check for Update option from the software says my current version is up to date.

Me, neither, I can't find the update to download
This discussion has been closed.