Starting Quicken 2017 for Mac Merry-Go-Round

I just downloaded and installed Quicken 2017 for Mac (OS 10.10.5). During Quicken's start up I am led to the "Let's Get Started" page. I click on "Start from a .qif file" which sends me to a "Create Account" page. I created an account, got a verification code which I entered. I then find myself on a page telling me "sign in". After signing in, I'm on a page which says "Your account needs to be migrated. Please Click here." I click and it wants another verification code entered. I enter the new one. And it sends me right back to the "Create your New Quicken ID" page. I'm getting dizzy trying to ride this Merry-go-round. Can anyone help?

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Yes, that got me through the sign in. Thanks. Now another hurdle shows up. When I try to import the qif file from Quicken 2006, it can't open the file. The error message is: "The file “Photo Accounts 1993-2017.qif” couldn’t be opened because the text encoding of its contents can’t be determined." After clicking OK, another message pops up: "Quicken 2017 can only import qif files into empty documents." Any idea about that? Thanks again!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    njh said:

Yes, that got me through the sign in. Thanks. Now another hurdle shows up. When I try to import the qif file from Quicken 2006, it can't open the file. The error message is: "The file “Photo Accounts 1993-2017.qif” couldn’t be opened because the text encoding of its contents can’t be determined." After clicking OK, another message pops up: "Quicken 2017 can only import qif files into empty documents." Any idea about that? Thanks again!

QM2017 does NOT read QIF to create a new data file from Quicken; it is only for importing from OTHER software like Banktivity (formerly iBank), Moneydance, etc.

QM2017 should be able to read your QM2006 data directly...If QM2017 has trouble reading in your data, first make sure you perform a re-indexing of your data file
    (see Troubleshooting Data File Problems/Corruption (Mac) in QM2007 (and earlier)), or you may need to contact Quicken Support to see if they will give you QM2007 LC as an intermediary version.

That being said, I suggest that you make sure that Quicken 2017 for Mac will meet your needs, since it is not an upgrade from QM2007 but rather from Quicken Essentials (which was re-written from the ground up, starting in 2010), so there are some features that are still not there e.g. full loan amortization*, 2-line display, QuickMath, or are not as fully developed yet, e.g. Customized Reports, investment lot management, performance reports and stats (therefore some data may not carry over). You can start here:
    http://www.quicken.com/mac/compare

*NOTE: Support for fixed rate loans has been released in v4.5.x but there is no announced timing for support for variable rate or simple daily interest loans.

Currently, the main advantages of QM2017 over QM2007 include the ability to sync cash, bank, and credit card accounts using Quicken Mobile for mobile devices (iOS and Android) and the ability to save receipts with transactions via computer or mobile device. There are a few other minor features that QM2007 does not have. Note that QM2017 is being supported until April 30, 2020 whereas it has been announced that security fixes have ceased for QM2007 since QM2017 is released...see http://www.quicken.com/support/update-quicken-mac-2007-support-policies-may-2016 yet online access will continue as long as the FI/Bank supports it and their security updates don't prevent it.

You may want to review the List of Obstacles and Hindrances for Migrating from QM2007 or QWin to Quicken for Mac. Add your vote to any features that are missing for you. Your VOTES Matter!

Be aware of data that will and will not carry forward: 
    https://www.quicken.com/support/what-data-gets-carried-over
    Then look at the updates since the original release here:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2017-mac-release-notes
    You will also want to look at a more detailed comparison done by a SuperUser which also identifies nuances not mentioned elsewhere (and read on for comments from other users too on that same discussion thread): 
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/can-anyone-who-has-switched-from-2007-to-2015-he...
    Take a look at the following videos to give you a better idea:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/QuickenMac

If you find that QM2017 does not meet your needs, the alternative is to obtain and run QM2007 Lion Compatible (LC), which will run on Mac OS X 10.6.8 to 10.13 High Sierra* (so far) by contacting Quicken support here: http://www.quicken.com/contact-support. If you succeed in getting QM2007, please let us know here for reference.

*Early reports suggest QM2007 works on High Sierra but automatic backups do not seem to work, at least when using the new APFS drive format... but is ok with the HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) format).  See here: Is Quicken for Mac 2007 (QM2007) Compatible with High Sierra (macOS 10.13)?

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    njh said:

THANKS for the in-depth reply!  I was finally able to get through to Quicken support. And we resolved the problem by backing up my 2006 accounts to .qdfm files . They sent me a 2007 download into which I opened the backed up files. Then I opened those 2007 files into QM17. That did the trick. So far everything looks great.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    njh said:

Thank you so much for confirming that were able to get QM2007...that is hopeful info for those that need to be bridged.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

This discussion has been closed.