Import Lot data from Qw 18 into QM18

Concordman
Concordman Mac Beta Beta
edited December 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I would like to import lot history on certain investments that are resident in an old QW13 file which I just converted to QW18.  Is this feasible ? I have checked off both QW & QM Investments to get a full breath of opinions 

Comments

• jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Lot history should have been imported with the file conversion from QW13 to QW18. If the accounts were accurate, the buy/sell history would be preserved and the lots built correctly.

Unless you are asking for only specific positions to be built (say you had 5 positions, but only wanted 3 to be built). I'm not certain how that would be handled as the lots are built from the account transactions.

If you can clarify maybe I can provide a better answer.
    Quicken user since 1994.
    Quicken Forum/Community Contributor since 2005.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    I note my question was not put forward correctly. My error.

let me clarify further; I am wanting to import lots from securities In QW18 into QM18. is it reasonable to export lot transactions which now are located in Qw18 into an excel format then import them into QM18? 

To review why this is the situation   the conversion a few yrs ago from QW13 to QM16 as it relates to investments was pretty much catastrophic, Banking & CCRD Accounts came over with minor issues but the investments were a total fiasco. I made the decision at that time to simple store my old QW13 file on a PC for historical data & downloaded transactions from my Fi where all lot info was available .

If its possible to export transactions from QW into a file that can be imported into Qm I will do it. If not , I have the Qw file on a relatively new PC (the Wife) & will review the history there if its needed.
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    When you say import, do you mean convert from QW18 to QM18? In that case, easy test is open QW file in QM and see what happens. If it was successful, that would still leave you with two QM files, one for banking, other for investments.

Did you keep the QW investment files current? Or did you restart fresh in QM?

Also, re: importing transactions into Q for investments requires you to build a QXF/OXF file .
    Quicken user since 1994.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    jr7107 said:

When you say import, do you mean convert from QW18 to QM18? In that case, easy test is open QW file in QM and see what happens. If it was successful, that would still leave you with two QM files, one for banking, other for investments.

Also, re: importing transactions into Q for investments requires you to build a QXF/OXF file .

QW file was abandoned except for banking & CCRD card data which came over in decent shape. I am just wanting to get lot data on investments presently owned,. I made the decision that looking at old , old history was not a priority for me. In fact I have only opened my old QW13 file to do the conversion to QW18.

Is it reasonable in QW to sort transactions by a particular security , export them to an excel file then import into transactions in QM18?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    jr7107 said:

It is unclear as to whether QM2018 can handle merging multiple QXF transfer files from QWin but I think in theory it should work. You are probably best to try it on back up copies and see how it goes. That will give you the best answer.

Do fill us in on your results if you try this.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Noting that the QXF transfer capability occurs with all of the accounts in a QDF file, then I would test this:

1. Open the QDF file in the most recent version of Q that you will be using. In your case open the QW (old) file in QM (current version).
    2. Check for position and lot accuracy. If that is successful, then delete all of the accounts within the new migrated file (except those that you need) so that you can prep it for a QXF transfer into the QM file that holds the Bank/CC information.
    3. Failing that does QW 2013 have the QXF file transfer function? If yes, then create a QXF transfer file of the required accounts and attempt to import into QM 2018.

Ultimately, what I think you are looking for is a bulk "Add" transaction. The very cumbersome "Add" transaction. Manual and time consuming, but highly accurate.
    Quicken user since 1994.
This discussion has been closed.