Updated to High Sierra and Quicken Essentials not opening. Essential data for me! Which version of Q

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Quicken Mac 2015, 2016, 2017 and the new subscription Quicken (for 2018) will all work on High Sierra and will convert your Quicken Essentials data file. 

Quicken Mac 2007 will work, but in a limited fashion (regarding backups) and you'll need to find someone to give you the latest update because the original Quicken Mac 2007 will NOT run with High Sierra and Quicken support will NOT give you the last update patch.  I found it was next to futile to find that patch to get it to run on recent macOS's.  

Personally, I'd purchase a copy of Quicken Mac 2017.  You'll have until April 2020 to continue downloading transactions.  It is fairly stable.  You should be able to find it on eBay or some other  outlets by doing a Google search.  Quicken Mac 2017 is NOT available through most retail outlets and is NOT available on the quicken.com website. 

Note that there will be a learning curve for Quicken Mac 2017 (or 2018) as the entire software has been re-written and updated.  

Quicken Mac 2018 still has a lot of growing pains and has a ways to go, as yet.  If you feel adventurous, then purchase the subscription Quicken.  12 month, 24 month and 27 month subscriptions are available at various sites with varying prices...so shop around.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Thank you. I am not feeling adventurous. This is nightmare-ish for me. Will look for 2017. Not happy with my decision to upgrade OS today.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Actually, since you were using QEM, obviously you were not downloading data, so I suspect this should not be an issue as to when it stops. As such, I would opt for QM2018, because with all the newer versions, you will face the same challenges with some new learning...but you do not have to be that adventurous to get there...keep in mind that you have a 30-day money-back guarantee (60 if you find QM2017)...so nothing to lose.

Though you can find 24 and 27 month subscription periods with QM2018 and it comes with any updates during that period, you probably will be fine with the 12 month one since again you do not download. Just make sure you get the Deluxe or higher edition since the Starter edition will make your data file read-only if you do not renew your subscription when it expires.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017

Actually, since you were using QEM, obviously you were not downloading data, so I suspect this should not be an issue as to when it stops. As such, I would opt for QM2018, because with all the newer versions, you will face the same challenges with some new learning...but you do not have to be that adventurous to get there...keep in mind that you have a 30-day money-back guarantee (60 if you find QM2017)...so nothing to lose.

Though you can find 24 and 27 month subscription periods with QM2018 and it comes with any updates during that period, you probably will be fine with the 12 month one since again you do not download. Just make sure you get the Deluxe or higher edition since the Starter edition will make your data file read-only if you do not renew your subscription when it expires.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Nice suggestion...but I would want a stable product without Quicken induced bugs if I was purchasing software.

Quicken Mac 2017 is much more stable than Quicken subscription...at this time.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    What are the tips and/or pitfalls in updating my old Quicken Essentials files to either 2017 or 2018?I am about to take the plunge but am nervous about losing the data I have been keeping for several years.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Jackie said:

What are the tips and/or pitfalls in updating my old Quicken Essentials files to either 2017 or 2018?I am about to take the plunge but am nervous about losing the data I have been keeping for several years.

You can download Quicken Mac 2017 or 2018 and still keep your Quicken Essentials too.

My opinion?  Backup your Quicken Essentials data file(s) to a flash drive...just in case something happens. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Jackie said:

Well I jumped into the deep end and got the 2018 and... IT WORKED!! Updated my old files perfectly! I am so happy. Was quite worried but thanks to replies I received felt brave and all’s right with the world. Did make backup Just in case and went into time machine to confirm the old files were there. Thanks for info!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Jackie said:

Thank you. I am not feeling adventurous. This is nightmare-ish for me. Will look for 2017. Not happy with my decision to upgrade OS today.

I'm not happy either!  I wish there had been a warning telling you which programs weren't going to work with the update!  Quicken was one of my most important apps and now I've lost of my checkbook info!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Jackie said:

It is the user's responsibility to check software compatibility before upgrading...
    Anyway, your data is fine. You can either buy a compatible version of Quicken (currently 2018) or downgrade your Mac OS (not simply and probably less desirable).

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

This discussion has been closed.