Stock "buys" appear in Transactions but not in Portfolio - QM2018

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited August 2018 in Investing (Mac)
Something around the middle of January changed in the investments section of QM2018.

For example, a stock purchase on 1/12 lists in both the Transactions view and Portfolio view. The Portfolio balance would thus be correct.

However, stock purchases on 1/18 only list in the Transaction view and NOT in the Portfolio view. Now the Portfolio balance only shows the balance of stocks purchased prior to 1/18.

If it helps, I'm running Version 5.5.3 (Build 55.21566.100).

Comments

• Ken137
    Ken137 Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I'm seeing the same thing (same version). I imported transactions via QFX file, and they appear in the transaction view, but are not in the portfolio view, nor are they included in the total.  I deleted the downloaded transactions and reentered them manually, and they show up correctly in the Portfolio View. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    I noticed this too.  Direct download via Quicken.  I am running both 2017 and 2018.  Identical.  The transactions in both download.  Quicken 2017 correctly updates the portfolio view.  Quicken 2018 does not.  I had to go into Quicken 2018 and click on the save button.  The security listed then goes blank. I select it again and click save and it updates correctly.   This has only been the case for the last version or so.  Obviously they messed the code up with the new release.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    I'll try to delete the downloaded transactions and reenter them manually. Certainly a bug. Appreciate the tip!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    I can confirm directly entering the transactions and deleting the downloaded transactions does correct the Portfolio balance. 

Ken, Gasport - Appreciate the tip!
  • moski
    moski Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Yes, this is a repeatable  occurrence.  I wrote about it in another thread somewhere, but Buy transactions downloaded directly from the investment company show up in Transactions but do not update the shares in Portfolio. My workaround is to enter an empty "Add Shares" transaction in that register for the impacted security...you don't even have to put any values in this transaction. This seems to "wake up" the shares counter somehow and then the previously entered "buy" shares do show up. You can delete the manual entry at this point with no ill effect. But seriously, this is a major bug that has to be fixed!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled portfolio view on Mac.

I am using Quicken 2018 / version 5.5.3

I download transactions from my brokerage (William Blair), import and reconcile.

However, when I switch from the transaction register to the Portfolio view, most of those transaction do NOT show up in the Portfolio view.

For example, if I sold 50 shares of ABC in 1/31/2018, when I go to the Portfolio view, the share Total on ABC does not match my brokerage statement. When I expand the security to see the list of transactions, the sale from 1/31 is NOT listed.

I have refreshed the report, start and stopped Quicken and I cannot get the transaction to impact the portfolio view. 
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2018

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled portfolio view on Mac.

I download transactions from my brokerage (William Blair), import and reconcile.

However, when I switch from the transaction register to the Portfolio view, most of those transaction do NOT show up in the Portfolio view.

For example, if I sold 50 shares of ABC in 1/31/2018, when I go to the Portfolio view, the share Total on ABC does not match my brokerage statement. When I expand the security to see the list of transactions, the sale from 1/31 is NOT listed.

I have refreshed the report, start and stopped Quicken and I cannot get the transaction to impact the portfolio view. 

Might be an issue with placeholders at the beginning the register, have you checked for the placeholders?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018

I have the same problem.  Worked fine until a recent update.  Works fine in Mac 2017 which I am running in parallel.  
  • Ken137
    Ken137 Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018

moski's workaround earlier in this thread seems to be the simplest until they fix it. It is clearly broken, but simply adding a blank 'buy' transaction for any affected securities causes the application to recalculate and include the downloaded records. You can then delete the blank one(s).

Yes, it's a pain, but a simple enough workaround until they fix it properly.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    moski said:

Yes, this is a repeatable  occurrence.  I wrote about it in another thread somewhere, but Buy transactions downloaded directly from the investment company show up in Transactions but do not update the shares in Portfolio. My workaround is to enter an empty "Add Shares" transaction in that register for the impacted security...you don't even have to put any values in this transaction. This seems to "wake up" the shares counter somehow and then the previously entered "buy" shares do show up. You can delete the manual entry at this point with no ill effect. But seriously, this is a major bug that has to be fixed!

Yes, your other reply was here:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/migrating-from-qw-2011-to-qm-2018-deluxe-but-iss...

On this thread:
    investing accounts not carrying over the securities data (only cash balances),

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    moski said:

Another user seemed to have success simply by trying this this work-around of just changing the stock, saving it, then changing it back to the original stock and saving again. YMMV

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

See comment above for another alternative:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/stock-buys-appear-in-transactions-but-not-in-por...

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018

I checked placeholders, and that is not the problem.

I can also confirm that if I add a 'buy' transaction for one share and subsequently delete, the downloaded transaction shows up, but this is a terrible workaround. If i have 30 buys in a month, I am manually entering 30 transactions. I might as well use an abacas. 

I have not looked at the other suggested alternative, but hope that provides some relief.

Has anyone from Quicken acknowledged this as a defect?
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hello Everyone,

A new release (5.5.4) for QM2018 is available as of today and does include some fixes for performance issues with the investment registers.  If you haven't already, I would recommend installing the newest release and checking the portfolio again for the missing stock "buy" transactions.

If this issue is still occurring after updating to the 5.5.4 release, please comment on the release notes thread, found at https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-for-mac-2018-v5-5-4-and-other-5-5-x-rele... and share your experience.  Development watches the release notes conversation for any new or continued issues/bugs or problems that may be experienced after an update and appreciates receiving reports of issues that were or were not fixed or might have occurred as part of the update process.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • john2018
    john2018 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

Hello Everyone,

A new release (5.5.4) for QM2018 is available as of today and does include some fixes for performance issues with the investment registers.  If you haven't already, I would recommend installing the newest release and checking the portfolio again for the missing stock "buy" transactions.

If this issue is still occurring after updating to the 5.5.4 release, please comment on the release notes thread, found at https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-for-mac-2018-v5-5-4-and-other-5-5-x-rele... and share your experience.  Development watches the release notes conversation for any new or continued issues/bugs or problems that may be experienced after an update and appreciates receiving reports of issues that were or were not fixed or might have occurred as part of the update process.

Thank you,

Sarah

Doesnt look like it helped.   I erased 1 downloaded transaction and re-synced and it didnt even add the missing transaction.   The others in the transactions didnt get updated in the portfolio view 
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2018

Hello Everyone,

Thank you,

Sarah

Not being downloaded again is to be expected. If you delete a downloaded transaction, Quicken will still consider it as having been downloaded and not download it again to prevent duplicates.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
This discussion has been closed.