investment reconcile not displaying dollar amount

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited September 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I tried to reconcile my investment account and items that were 'reinvest' type transactions had a $o.oo amount. The corresponding register items show the amount properly. I just installed Q 2018 release R7.5 build 27.1.7.5 earlier this week. I have not had this problem before. Been using Quicken for about 10 years

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I must admit that I've never used the Quicken reconcile feature in investment Account - I reconcile outside of Quicken - so I tried the reconcile function on one of my Accounts and I do see a reinvest action over in the "Decrease" column as $0.  If I was using that feature I guess I wouldn't see much harm in that presentation as it is in effect and "cash in/cash out" transaction.

You're saying that previous to the update that sort of transaction would show up in both the "Decrease" and "Increase" column? 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    The problem is by not listing the dollar amount in the 'Decreases' collum, the ending balance lists a 'Difference' amount. 
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

The problem is by not listing the dollar amount in the 'Decreases' collum, the ending balance lists a 'Difference' amount. 

I think I'm lost. 

When I go to one of my investment Accounts and click on reconcile I see the following with respect to the most recent "reinvest" actions:

In the "Decreases" column

ReinvSh  [Security]  $0.00
    ReinvLg  [Security]  $0.00

Over in the "Increases" column nothing shows up with respect to these transactions.

Since the ultimate cash effect of a reinvest action is zero I'd have no problem reconciling the Account.

I take it that prior to the upgrade when you reconciled you'd see something like:

In the "Decreases" column

Bought  [Security]  $X.XX

and

In the "Increases" column

Div        [Security]  $X.XX

which also works out to $0 for the cash.

What, exactly, did you used to see when a dividend was reinvested and what, exactly, are you seeing now?

I don't see where there's any problem here.  But you did say "items that were 'reinvest' type transactions had a $o.oo amount. The corresponding register items show the amount properly".  What is "properly" in this context?  A reinvest transaction in the register has $0 effect on cash.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    In the 'Decreases' there would be ReinvDiv Security $Dollar Amount. There was not a corresponding transaction in the 'Increases'. 

This has remained the same with the exception that the Dollar Amount in the 'Decrease' does not show. This results in a Difference.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hey John,

Are you able to upload a screenshot of what you are seeing?

To capture a screenshot please see: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots.

If we don't hear back from you this post will be closed in 48 hours.

-Thanks!
    ~~~***~~~
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    After recent upgrade to Version R9.30 Build 27.1.9.30, the problem is still there. I shouldn't have to manually break up a downloaded ReinvDiv from my Broker into a Div & Bought transaction in order for my account to reconcile. It used to work correctly in previous versions back as far as 2006. Can anybody at Quicken figure this out?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    John,
    the net effect of a Reinvest Dividend transaction is $0.00 on the Cash balance.
    Therefore, provided you have selected the correct Statement Ending Balance, your Reconcile should balance.
    At least, when I reconcile my investment accounts, they always do.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    UKR said:

John,
    the net effect of a Reinvest Dividend transaction is $0.00 on the Cash balance.
    Therefore, provided you have selected the correct Statement Ending Balance, your Reconcile should balance.
    At least, when I reconcile my investment accounts, they always do.

The problem was that it was still showing a difference amount.

Contacted support, ran a validate & repair. Even though it didn't report any errors, it fixed the problem.

Thanks for the quick reply
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    Problem solved  by running Validate & Repair
This discussion has been closed.