Quicken2007 had a column for transaction type (ATM, Deposit, EFT.. etc) is that gone in Quicken 2018

Unknown
Unknown Member
Previously I had used Quicken 2007, and switched to MoneyDance for several years. I am back with Quicken 2018. In Quicken 2007 the check field had a drop-down menu to identify the transaction type that included ATM, Deposit, EFT, POS.. etc options.

Quicken 2018 doesn't seem to have a similar column, it was convenient in 2007 to identify the type of transaction. Is it gone or am I missing something? Is it not needed?

attached is a capture from Q2007 Mac.

thank you,

Comments

• Quicken Harold
    Quicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Hello Bridgestone,

I have switched this to an Idea post so that others can provide their input on this and can be voted on for a possible addition in a future version of Quicken. 

Thank you for the information.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 2018
    Display the "Action" column-that is where you enter those types of text entries. You no longer enter them in the check # field. Via the menubar, Window:Actions, you can edit what is shown in that list.

You should see that your previously entered text items from 2007 should have been converted to that column as well.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Hi John

Thank you. I tried the Actions and had thought there would be a pre-filled set of transaction types. Nothing had transferred since my accounts went from Q2007 > MoneyDance > Q2018. I can create a set, but are these entries only useful for searches and reports and have no real function? When using Q2007 I had assumed that they had a purpose but it seems not?

Do most people not identify the transaction type?

thanks,
  • John_in_NC
    edited September 2018

Hi John

Thank you. I tried the Actions and had thought there would be a pre-filled set of transaction types. Nothing had transferred since my accounts went from Q2007 > MoneyDance > Q2018. I can create a set, but are these entries only useful for searches and reports and have no real function? When using Q2007 I had assumed that they had a purpose but it seems not?

thanks,

I have found them only to be useful for informational purposes. I am sure there are some users who use the column for a specific use case, but I don't see the need to label each transaction as to what type it is. I think I started labeling transx about 25 years ago, and stopped soon afterwards. I think it was for ATM transactions, and I haven't used an ATM in about 25 years :-)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018

Hi John

thanks,

Hi John,  

Even though it's not functional I do think it might benefit the UI to quickly identify Deposits, Transfers etc especially if you can sort on the column. Rows could even be colored/tinted based upon the transaction type.

thanks again for your help
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Wish that were available in QM2017. I can ATM etc. in the "check #" column but no pre-set choices.

• John_in_NC
    edited September 2018

Wish that were available in QM2017. I can ATM etc. in the "check #" column but no pre-set choices.

The "Action" column is available in all versions of Quicken for Mac since 2010, so you have it in QM2017. You need to make it visible. Don't try entering the text info in the check number field.

From the menubar, you can go to Window:Actions to setup/remove what text items display in this field.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

Hi John

thanks,

Those actions in QM2007 are functional, but only subtly so. For example, entering DEP automatically forces the cursor to only move to the deposit column when entering an amount. Likewise entering WITHD likewise causes the cursor to go to the Payment field. Entering PRINT tags the entry to generate a printed cheque. Otherwise, all other actions simply labels that serve no obvious purpose other than what you attribute to them...like a NOTE or MEMO.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018

Hi John

thanks,

>Those actions in QM2007 are functional, but only subtly so

interesting that the functions were more than just labels and semi-smart features that were not added to QM2018.

It would be nice to incorporate these features into QM2918 to assign transaction type and result in a customized entry for that transaction.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018

> Don't try entering the text info in the check number field.

yup, that was the first thing I did when adding my first transaction to QM2018 after my long hiatus from QM2007 :)
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

I am still using QM2007 because QM2018 still lacks key functionality for me. I suggest that you make sure that Quicken 2018 for Mac will meet your needs, since it is not an upgrade from QM2007 but rather from Quicken Essentials (which was re-written from the ground up, starting in 2010, then continued with QM2015 onward), so there are some features that are still not there e.g. full loan amortization*, 2-line display, QuickMath, or are not as fully developed yet, e.g. Customized Reports, performance reports and stats (therefore some data may not carry over). You can start here:
    https://www.quicken.com/mac/upgrader-compare

*NOTE: Support for fixed rate loans has been released as of  QM2017 v4.5.x but there is no announced timing for support for variable rate or simple daily interest loans.

Currently, the main advantages of QM2018 over QM2007 include the ability to sync cash, bank, and credit card accounts using Quicken Mobile for mobile devices (iOS and Android) and the ability to save receipts with transactions via computer or mobile device. There are a few other minor features that QM2007 does not have. Note that online access is supposed to continue as long as the FI/Bank supports it and their security updates don't prevent it.

Please note that QM2018 is now a subscription-based product currently available for 1 year directly from Quicken or 2 yrs from retailers (which are often cheaper than Quicken). (If you are able to find QM2017 which is a pre-subscription product, it is supported until April 2020), whereas currently QM2007 will continue to work as long as your FIs/Banks support it, so keep that in mind. 

You may want to review the List of Obstacles and Hindrances for Migrating from QM2007 or QWin to Quicken for Mac
    Add your vote to any features that are missing for you. Your VOTES matter!

Be aware of data that will and will not carry forward: 
    https://www.quicken.com/support/what-data-gets-carried-over
    Then look at the updates since the original release here:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/2018-release-quicken-mac-release-notes
    You will also want to look at a more detailed comparison done by a SuperUser which also identifies nuances not mentioned elsewhere (and read on for comments from other users too on that same discussion thread): 
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/can-anyone-who-has-switched-from-2007-to-2015-he...
    Take a look at the following videos to give you a better idea:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/QuickenMac

Note that there are many differences that are rather subtle, that are not necessarily identifiable via documentation, for example, the 12-month budget feature does not allow including transfers, including investment income, selecting specific accounts, etc.

If you find that QM2018 does not meet your needs, the alternative is to continue to run QM2007 Lion Compatible (LC), which will run on Mac OS X 10.6.8 to 10.13 High Sierra (so far*). 

* See Is Quicken for Mac 2007 (QM2007) Compatible with High Sierra (macOS 10.13)?
    (Reports suggest QM2007 works on High Sierra but automatic backups do not seem to work, at least when using the new APFS drive format... but is ok with the HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) format on the boot drive only, NOT on external drives)

You may also want to follow the discussion Is Quicken for Mac 2007 Compatible with Mojave (macOS 10.14)?

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018

Thanks, John.  I didn't know about that before.  Wasn't sure what "Actions" was so never added the column. Bridgestone - I have entered text in the check column with no problems but now I don't have to!  My biggest problem is I use a MacBook Air & things start to get a little crowded :-)!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

You can add your VOTE to Add option for 2-line/row display.

First
    , click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the 
    List of Requests for User Interface Options and Features. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

This discussion has been closed.