How do I manually adjust the unit prices of shares I own in a Pacific Life Innovated Select Annuity

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
How do I manually adjust the unit prices of shares I own in a Pacific Life Innovated Select Annuity in Quicken 2018? There is no 'dropdown' menu item that allows a manual update of existing shares' value.

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Do you have this set up as an Investment Account?  That's the type you need for some kind of share/unit pricing.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Provided that this is setup as an investment account with "Pacific Life Innovated Select Annuity" as the security you can select the Holdings button and change the prices there.  You can also change them on the Investing -> Portfolio page.  Or with Ctrl+Y -> click on security -> Update -> Security price history
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    I have it set up as a "Account type: Traditional IRA" at present; there is no path similar on it to what you describe above.  Can I just change it to an Investment Account or do I have to delete and reenter data?
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    That account type should be OK, assuming it is taxed like an IRA.

Select the account and click on Holdings. It should show a security called Pacific Life Annuity or whatever with a holding of the number of shares shown on your statement. If the security is not in the account, you will have to enter transactions to the account to add or buy it.

Once the security is in the account, one way to set the share price is to click on the name of the security to display the Security Detail view. As QPW says, you can then click on Update then Edit Price History to add or correct the security's price history.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Ed said:

I have it set up as a "Account type: Traditional IRA" at present; there is no path similar on it to what you describe above.  Can I just change it to an Investment Account or do I have to delete and reenter data?

The way you have it set up should work fine.  When you're in the transaction list you should be able to click on the "Holdings" button

which opens a window with the investments in the Account showing quantity (e.g., shares) and a price quote "as of" a date.  (Make sure the "Value" view is selected from the drop-down list.)  You can change the date to whatever date you want to use and then go to the quote/price column for the investment and change it to whatever you want.  That quote/price figure times the unit's held as of that date is then reflected in the "Market Value" column. 

You can also change quotes over in the portfolio view ("Investing" tab > "Portfolio") in the same fashion.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Yea!  You cracked the nut. THANK YOU!  This is not an intuitive path to follow, but it works to allow me to track the value of the Annuity once I get the value from my Pacific Life statement (or from their website).  Would be nice if Quicken added this path info to their HELP menu or FAQS; however, I still would like a dropdown menu item to 'UPDATE HOLDING VALUES' that would take you to the appropriate page so you could just put in the date and the value on that date.  Based on your help I think I can safely say my present problem has been addressed; again, my thanks for your help.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018

That account type should be OK, assuming it is taxed like an IRA.

Select the account and click on Holdings. It should show a security called Pacific Life Annuity or whatever with a holding of the number of shares shown on your statement. If the security is not in the account, you will have to enter transactions to the account to add or buy it.

Once the security is in the account, one way to set the share price is to click on the name of the security to display the Security Detail view. As QPW says, you can then click on Update then Edit Price History to add or correct the security's price history.

See my comment below. Thanks!!
This discussion has been closed.