In QP 2019 for Mac bought shares are not added

Jonny
Jonny Member ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Investing (Mac)
When I try to add shares manually that I bought  (lets say IBM), it does not add it to my existing qty of shares I already own of IBM. It deducts the cost from my balance of the portfolio, but does not do anything with my existing position of those shares!

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    Check for placeholder at the end of your Transactions.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2018
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Jonny
    Jonny Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Thank you both for your reply, but I am completely at loss.I do not update my accounts via the FI, but after downloading their statement at the end of the month, I input the transactions manually.In QP 2011 for Windows this would work correctly by updating the transactions manually. Can you not update your share positions manually? I do not know where to look for "placeholder"
  • RickO
    edited December 2018
    Jonny said:

Thank you both for your reply, but I am completely at loss.I do not update my accounts via the FI, but after downloading their statement at the end of the month, I input the transactions manually.In QP 2011 for Windows this would work correctly by updating the transactions manually. Can you not update your share positions manually? I do not know where to look for "placeholder"

Placeholders can also occur on the transfer of the file from another version of Quicken. Just search the register for the word "placeholder". (And carefully read the FAQ linked above.)
  • Jonny
    Jonny Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Jonny said:

Thank you again for taking the time to reply. I have read the articles and I understand from those that you must have your brokerage accounts in Quicken online with the accounts of the FI. I have not done that as I am weary of having a link between QP and FI, because of security. What I want to know if you can update your stock positions(qty, purchase price etc. without being connected to the FI?
  • RickO
    edited December 2018
    Jonny said:

No, you DO NOT have to have your brokerage accounts connected online. You can do everything manually just fine. 

But again, just because the account is not connected online does not mean that there are no placeholders. Go to the account transaction register and type the word "placeholder" in the search box at the top right. This will tell you if there are any placeholders that resulted from the conversion from Windows.
  • Jonny
    Jonny Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Jonny said:

Sorry RickO, but I cannot find "account transaction register". If I click on Transactions, there is nothing black, all options are grey. If I click on Accounts, there is nothing where I can input the word "placeholder". Can you explain where I can find"account transaction register"? 
  • RickO
    edited December 2018
    Jonny said:

Jonny,

1) Click the account name in the sidebar

2) Click the Transactions button below the account name

3) Type "placeholder" in the search box

• RickO
    edited December 2018
    Jonny said:

If you still can't find it, post a screenshot of what your screen looks like.

FAQ: Posting a Screenshot

• Jonny
    Jonny Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Jonny said:

Thanks, I will let you know!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Jonny said:

Note also that updating prices in "modern" QMac is not as easy as it is in QM2007 and QWin. You can add your VOTE to Add ability to manually update security quotes within the portfolio window.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your vote will count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the 
    List of Requests for Data Entry and Usability Options and Features and the 
    List of Requests Related to Investments
     Click on each underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Jonny
    Jonny Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I tried your method, but nothing appears when I type "placeholder" in the search box. I had a live chat with customer support yesterday and owing to them the problem is that I migrated from QPW2011,which is discontinued, to QPM2019. I have to create a new investment account and and recreate the transaction. I will let you know if it works.
This discussion has been closed.