Dividends & interest payments don’t appear in budget

Options
Quicken Premier 2019 version 5.9.2

Dividend and interest payments in my brokerage accounts do not appear, either when creating or viewing a budget.

I suspect this obtains from the fact that the “Type” field of the transactions as downloaded from Charles Schwab contains either “Dividend Income” or “Interest Income” rather than “Payment/Deposit”. (Transactions in the same accounts and downloaded in the same manner and for which the “Type” field contains “Payment/Deposit” do appear.)

Quicken Help includes the note: “From investment accounts, only cash transactions for which you can apply a category are included.” (The transactions which fail to appear do have a valid category.)

Dividend and interest payments are a critical component of my income and a budget which arbitrarily excludes them is of little use. How can I cause the dividend and interest payments in my brokerage accounts to appear automatically in my budget?

I notice there was some discussion of this a few years ago - plenty of time to develop what should be a straightforward fix. Has it been fixed and, if not, when will it be?

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Options
    That is correct... these currently do not show up in the budget. You can add your VOTE to 
    Add investment income on budgets.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your vote will count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the 
    List of Requests Related to Budgets and the List of Requests Related to Investments.
    Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions
     to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    OK.  I did that.
    But ... 
    This has been under discussion apparently for some years; any idea when it will finally be addressed?
    And ...
    I really would like to make some kind of a budget now; any ideas or workarounds to use while we wait?

• jramsayjust
    Options
    I have the same problem, with Schwab and this version of Quicken. I hadn't been able to figure out what the problem was until you described it. So I went in and just changed the type of transaction from dividend to payment/deposit and presto it showed up as dividend income in the budget! This doesn't change how it's categorized in Quicken for tax purposes because it's still categorized as a dividend.

It's stupid to have to do this as a workaround, and but at least it works for now for budgeting purposes. Thanks for posting.
This discussion has been closed.