Quicken 2019 web based?

Options
Rob
Rob Member ✭✭✭
I gather Quicken 2019 isn't a web based program like YNAB, correct?  That shouldn't affect my ability to meet with my wife (she would be on her own computer, I would be on mine) to review our financial info.  Assume she can login in with the same credentials as I do and see everything just fine?  

Trying to wrap my head around what not to do if two people are accessing the data.  I'm the only one entering and coding, and back-up to a local plus the cloud.  As long as that's going on, we should be able to access the reports with the same login info and not mess anything up.  Am I on the right track?  In other words, if two people were entering data or changing things, that could get kinda tricky.

Last Q? Backing up to the cloud is basically a safety net if I'm also backing up to a local drive also?  

Appreciate the help!

Comments

• Marshall A
    Marshall A Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Hello,

First, No, Quicken is NOT web-based.  They offer a web-based companion to their desktop program but its basic at best right now. (hopefully getting better soon).

As far as you and your wife accessing it, thats another issue.  You can install the program on your computer and hers with no issue.  You would want to be accessing only 1 file though. (otherwise it gets messy trading backups back and forth).  Also, you would NOT want to both be accessing the data file at the same time.  Quicken is NOT designed to have multiple people logged in to the same file at the same time.

What you could do is 1 of 2 things.

1. You use the desktop program for entering and updating info as needed.  Your wife can log into the web-based app to view data.  The data on the web will be updated as you edit the desktop file and SYNC it to the cloud.

2. If you have another computer on your home network that is always on (like a media center PC) you can install Quicken and the data file there and remote into that computer anytime you want to view Quicken.  Just make sure you and your wife are not trying to log into it at the same time.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Options

Hello,

First, No, Quicken is NOT web-based.  They offer a web-based companion to their desktop program but its basic at best right now. (hopefully getting better soon).

As far as you and your wife accessing it, thats another issue.  You can install the program on your computer and hers with no issue.  You would want to be accessing only 1 file though. (otherwise it gets messy trading backups back and forth).  Also, you would NOT want to both be accessing the data file at the same time.  Quicken is NOT designed to have multiple people logged in to the same file at the same time.

1. You use the desktop program for entering and updating info as needed.  Your wife can log into the web-based app to view data.  The data on the web will be updated as you edit the desktop file and SYNC it to the cloud.

2. If you have another computer on your home network that is always on (like a media center PC) you can install Quicken and the data file there and remote into that computer anytime you want to view Quicken.  Just make sure you and your wife are not trying to log into it at the same time.

It is correct that QWeb (and similarly QMobile) is a companion to the desktop app, where the source data needs to be and is always stored.  But it is not a full fledged version of Quicken. So though you will be able to see cash, credit card and bank account registers, see budgets, and see summary investment data, and analyze your data, there are no reports, etc. 

QWeb (and similarly QMobile) can be used to enter data. Quicken is designed to be able to use multiple mobile devices and the web to sync to the same desktop file using the same Quicken ID. 

For more guidance, take a look at this Help Guide and FAQs for Quicken Mobile.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Rob
    Rob Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Options

Hello,

So, backing up the data file to an external hard drive vs using the Quicken Cloud.  Am I right in assuming the cloud is a secondary backup or vice versa?   In other words, I have two backups if I do that every time in Quicken, correct?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Options

Hello,

No, the Quicken cloud is NOT a backup. It was not designed for that nor should be considered for that either ... though it does sync the last 2 years of data plus accumulates anything added since and may or may not re-sync some data to a restored backup desktop file (though the QCloud gets reset to the last 2 years if you need to ever reset the cloud data). This is different than using any other cloud based backup location like iCloud, DropBox, etc, for storage.

Read more about the QCloud here: What is the Quicken Cloud? (note the info is slightly dated as it now syncs more data and for longer but is essentially the same).

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

This discussion has been closed.