Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Adding contributions to Employer 401k plan

Tom Harney
Tom Harney Member
edited February 2019 in Investing (Windows)
I am trying to add 410k contributions to an account.I am using windows 10 and Quicken 17.
When I enter transactions, Quicken asks for a cash source.
I use Employee pre-tax contributions. 
My problem is this generates a negative cash balance.
I could use the checking account, but the payment is gone before the cash hits the account. 

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you looked at the Paycheck Wizard? You can find it at Bills > Add Reminder > Paycheck Reminder

This will set up a paycheck reminder with your gross pay and deductions including 401k contributions, with the net pay deposited in your checking account. 

QWin Premier subscription
  • Jim:

Thank you, I will check to see if I can find a pay stub.
    However, right now I have a series of negative cash balances in the account.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Only the Cash Bal matters as being red.  The Cash Amt column shows that you spent money to buy the fund.
    SO, now the question is: have you ever transferred money INTO that account ... so that you'd have cash to buy those securities?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Yes, there was a rollover at account creation. 
    I did a XIn to take the cash balance back to zero. 
    Note: I did not have the original transfer account information to establish a basis. So, I fudged it.

Jim was correct in using paycheck reminder to correctly allocate the allocation.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Why did you take the cash back to Zero.  The transfer in from the Rollover should have created a positive balance.
    And, since your 2 shown transactions show a cumulative negative balance equal to the 2 transactions, $300.02, the balance immediately before them MUST have been $0.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP