Adding contributions to Employer 401k plan

Tom Harney
Tom Harney Member ✭✭
edited February 2019 in Investing (Windows)
I am trying to add 410k contributions to an account.I am using windows 10 and Quicken 17.
When I enter transactions, Quicken asks for a cash source.
I use Employee pre-tax contributions. 
My problem is this generates a negative cash balance.
I could use the checking account, but the payment is gone before the cash hits the account. 

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you looked at the Paycheck Wizard? You can find it at Bills > Add Reminder > Paycheck Reminder

This will set up a paycheck reminder with your gross pay and deductions including 401k contributions, with the net pay deposited in your checking account. 

QWin Premier subscription
  • Tom Harney
    Tom Harney Member ✭✭
    Jim:

Thank you, I will check to see if I can find a pay stub.
    However, right now I have a series of negative cash balances in the account.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only the Cash Bal matters as being red.  The Cash Amt column shows that you spent money to buy the fund.
    SO, now the question is: have you ever transferred money INTO that account ... so that you'd have cash to buy those securities?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Tom Harney
    Tom Harney Member ✭✭
    Yes, there was a rollover at account creation. 
    I did a XIn to take the cash balance back to zero. 
    Note: I did not have the original transfer account information to establish a basis. So, I fudged it.

Jim was correct in using paycheck reminder to correctly allocate the allocation.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why did you take the cash back to Zero.  The transfer in from the Rollover should have created a positive balance.
    And, since your 2 shown transactions show a cumulative negative balance equal to the 2 transactions, $300.02, the balance immediately before them MUST have been $0.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP