Morning Star ratings not showing for Index funds / ETF's

Morning star rates Index funds and ETF's in my Ameritrade account. Why will they not show in Quicken on the Investing page?

Best Answer

Answers

  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bruce said:
    Morning star rates Index funds and ETF's in my Ameritrade account. Why will they not show in Quicken on the Investing page?
    Please be more specific about the index funds.  VFINX shows up in my files with Morningstar ratings.

    As Sherlock pointed out, the security in Quicken does need to carry the Type "Mutual Fund" and be a mutual fund.  If you typed the index funds as "Market Index", that could explain your lack of Morningstar data.   

  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    just out of curiousity - where do you see the M* ratings displayed ?
    Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    ps56k said:
    just out of curiousity - where do you see the M* ratings displayed ?
    Portfolio views, the mutual fund view in particular, will show M* data as limited above. 
  • A couple of examples not showing ratings would be ticker symbols DIA, ONEY, and VOT.  They show up just fine in my TD Ameritrade account.  
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Bruce said:
    A couple of examples not showing ratings would be ticker symbols DIA, ONEY, and VOT.  They show up just fine in my TD Ameritrade account.  
    Exchange traded funds (ETFs) are not mutual funds.
  • I understand that.  My point is that Morningstar rates ETF's and Index funds so it would seem simple for Quicken to incorporate it into their software.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bruce said:
    I understand that.  My point is that Morningstar rates ETF's and Index funds so it would seem simple for Quicken to incorporate it into their software.
    Index funds are mutual funds so their ratings are already provided.

    How much are you willing to pay Quicken so Quicken may purchase access to the Morningstar ratings for ETFs?  
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just looked at my Q - and yup - only the "mutual fund" is showing the M^ rating.
    So... guessing - the type of holding is used to filter what is sent to M^ for data.
    My ETFs are showing as "stock" and my Mutual Funds are showing as "Mutual Fund".
    Seems pretty clear.... if the "type" of security is not tagged as "Mutual Fund", then there is no request to M*
    Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • q_lurker said:
    Bruce said:
    Morning star rates Index funds and ETF's in my Ameritrade account. Why will they not show in Quicken on the Investing page?
    Please be more specific about the index funds.  VFINX shows up in my files with Morningstar ratings.

    As Sherlock pointed out, the security in Quicken does need to carry the Type "Mutual Fund" and be a mutual fund.  If you typed the index funds as "Market Index", that could explain your lack of Morningstar data.   


    Couple of examples of funds not showing ratings are DIA, ONEY, and VOT.

  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bruce said:
    Couple of examples of funds not showing ratings are DIA, ONEY, and VOT.

    Those are ETFs.  The Morningstar data Quicken has contracted to receive is for mutual funds.  It might be simple for Quicken to "incorporate it into their software" for ETFs also, or it might not be. 

    But as Sherlock observed, how much are you willing to pay for the extra data?  Users complain continuously about the price of the package.  How many are willing to pay extra for that extra service? 

    Feel free to post an Idea for this in the Product Ideas category.  Maybe it will develop some traction.  But as it stands, Morningstar data for ETFs is not provided through Quicken.    
  • It's not a big deal.  I can get the ratings via TD Ameritrade.  Just seems like a simple mapping, but I'm not programmer.  Quicken touts itself as a robot package to manage investments.  ETF's and Index Funds are extremely popular now so it would be a convenience to see the ratings for these in Quicken.  Nothing more than that.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bruce said:
    It's not a big deal.  I can get the ratings via TD Ameritrade.  Just seems like a simple mapping, but I'm not programmer.  Quicken touts itself as a robot package to manage investments.  ETF's and Index Funds are extremely popular now so it would be a convenience to see the ratings for these in Quicken.  Nothing more than that.
    While programming to add Morningstar ratings for ETFs may or may not be a trivial effort, there would be an additional cost for Quicken Inc to get the data feed from Morningstar. Quicken Inc would either need to absorb this additional cost or pass on some or all of the cost to Quicken users via a higher price for the program. 

    By posting the idea in the Product Ideas category and letting other users comment on and vote for the idea, it helps Quicken Inc determine if the idea appeals to a many users or to just a few users. 
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ps56k wrote: "Seems pretty clear.... if the "type" of security is not tagged as "Mutual Fund", then there is no request to M*"

    I think it is a 2-point check: 1) the security in Quicken has to have the Type = Mutual Fund, and 2) the security in real life needs to be recognized as a mutual fund. Naturally, along with that, the ticker must be correct since the M* data comes with the Quicken-sourced pricing.

  • rxmarton
    rxmarton Member ✭✭
    I just manually changed a few ETFs from Stocks to Mutual Funds and the M* rating was added. i wonder if there is a downside to doing this?
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't think of one.
    QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.