How to restore Investment Accounts Values missing from Investment Center

jarhtmd
jarhtmd Member ✭✭✭
The "Investment Center" shows 0 value for all except 4 (of 15) accounts. I've updated those 4 in the last few days.  "Account Status" in "Summary" shows 0 for Security Value, Cash Balance and Total Market Value.  "Transactions" shows the transactions with "InvAmt" & "ShareBal" amounts  but "Securities Value" (lower right corner) shows $0.00 for all except those 4 accounts.

I'm using Quicken2007.  I know, I know . . . but there's valid reasons.

I recently copied the .QDF from my laptop to my desktop after a hectic 6 months of not using Quicken on my usual almost daily basis.  In fact, I used it very, very infrequently.  My mind was completely elsewhere because of tending to affairs after a sudden death in my family. 

I'm trying now to recreate missing entries from statements, etc., but I'm brain-dead remembering troubleshooting techniques.

Any/all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Best Answer

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    If you lost prices and historical values of securities, it is likely because you did not copy over the QPH file.  I would consider that file required for historical security and investment information.

First of all, be sure you have a good backup of your current state.  

If this is all truly recent (last 30 days or so), you should be able to copy the QPH file from your laptop replacing the current QPH file.  Your more recently added transactions should remain in tact, but you may need to redo month-end values from brokerage statements.  

From the transaction list for the brokerage account, with the cursor on any transaction, you should be able to Ctrl-Z and the Account will be recalculated.  That will include updating the price history file for the transaction related prices in the transaction list.  

There may be a QIF file option for you to get one set of prices from one file to the other, but that may be more work than redoing what you've done recently.  Post back if you think that may be of interest.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this Quicken for Windows or Mac? I don't think there is or was an "Investment Center" in QWin. If it is Windows, please post a screenshot or give us the exact title of the window you are seeing, or describe how you get there.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • jarhtmd
    jarhtmd Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Jim, for your reply.  I'm using Quicken2007 for Windows.  Oops, it's "InvestING Center" instead of Investment Center as I said..

This is the screen that I see when I open Quicken.  I've redacted some numbers and outlined some things in red.

This screen appears when I click on "Xerox stock Shares" in "Investing Center on the left side.

Incidentally, I just discovered another problem that probably requires a separate posting, but I just found it & will include it here.  I've accidentally, used and updated  2 (possibly even 3) separate/different .QDF files.  Is there a way to combine them in such a way to drop the duplicate entries?  Or does anyone have suggestions for correcting this horrible situation?  Maybe even starting again from scratch at 01-01-19.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    If you haven't already, I suggest you review the security's price history.

Regarding merging datafile sets, you may want to review: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7150406/how-to-merge-two-quicken-files
  • jarhtmd
    jarhtmd Member ✭✭✭

Sherlock, I've never reviewed a security's price history.  See my efforts below.  Is there a way to recovery/rebuild a missing file/directory and any others that might also be missing?  

As I've said, I recently copied the .QDF file (only) from my laptop computer to my desktop computer.  Should I have also copied the .QEL and .QPD files too?  I was unable to backup Quicken when working on the laptop.  Are the .QEL and .QPD files created during backup?  I assume not, since I'm having all these problems.  I'm not sure why I thought at the time that only the .QDF file needed to be copied.

Since I've added a number of transactions after copying the .QDF file, these files will probably/possibly be out of sync.  Would starting over by copying all 3 files and repeating transaction entries be my best option?

That brings another question to mind . . . Is there a way that I can maybe open 2 different/separate Quicken sessions at the same time . . . one session with the newly copied .QDF.QEL and .QPD files (which will eventually be my final working Quicken file) . . . and the other session with the transactions, etc that I added to the "problem" Quicken file?  In reality, I think that is probably just wishful thinking.

Here's what I did to review security price history.

1.     Investing Center

2.     Portfolio Tab

3.     Alliant Energy Corp - Note Market Value shows $6,382,710.00

That's definitely an error!

Hover over Alliant Energy Corp

Popup = Edit   Evaluate          Scorecard

4.   "Evaluate" and "Scorecard"  

BOTH  show   404 - File or directory not found error.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    The QDF is the minimally required file from the Quicken 2007 data file set: https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-data-file-set-extensions  The QEL maintained the Online Service settings.  The QPH held the price history.  The IDX provides an index and should automatically be regenerated.

The safest bet would be to restore a consistent data file set but I suspect you likely could drop in the missing QPH and be fine.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    If you lost prices and historical values of securities, it is likely because you did not copy over the QPH file.  I would consider that file required for historical security and investment information.

First of all, be sure you have a good backup of your current state.  

If this is all truly recent (last 30 days or so), you should be able to copy the QPH file from your laptop replacing the current QPH file.  Your more recently added transactions should remain in tact, but you may need to redo month-end values from brokerage statements.  

From the transaction list for the brokerage account, with the cursor on any transaction, you should be able to Ctrl-Z and the Account will be recalculated.  That will include updating the price history file for the transaction related prices in the transaction list.  

There may be a QIF file option for you to get one set of prices from one file to the other, but that may be more work than redoing what you've done recently.  Post back if you think that may be of interest.
  • jarhtmd
    jarhtmd Member ✭✭✭
    i copied QDF (14,252KB), QEL (27KB), QPH (63KB), IDX (2249KB) (all had same create/modify date/time) from my laptop to a folder on a thumb drive.  

Ran Q2007 . . . "Restore Backup File" from that thumb drive.  PROBLEM STILL EXISTS.

That indicates (to me) that the QEL, OPH & IDX files are to be copied elsewhere, based mostly on fact that only QDF file was shown when restoring.  Does Restore assume the other files are there.  (Remember, these files were copied to thumb drive, NOT backed up.  Backup did work days ago when I tried.) The only other QPH file (modify date/time 0:00:02 later than the one I copied; create date/time was 7 days later) as on my computer was in folder to which I had backed up (or recycle bin).  (I know backups should be offline, but . . . not while I'm troubleshooting this problem.)

Where should these QEL, OPH & IDX files be located?

I figure that I have a huge data entry job ahead of me to bring these files up to date, but I have to restore or create these missing files first.  Quicken doesn't seem to realize they are missing & recreate them for me.
  • jarhtmd
    jarhtmd Member ✭✭✭
    q_lurker said:

Thanks,  a million, q_lurker.  That worked like a champ.  I was "a little" concerned when Ctrl-Z changed the account balance in the list on the left, but didn't change the Security Value (lower right) in the transaction list.  However, after recalculating all the brokerage accounts, I exited and reopened Quicken and all was fine.

I would never have guessed Ctrl-Z, because that's "Undo" in many applications.

This problem seems to be solved.

Thanks, again.
This discussion has been closed.