"Not enough memory to proceed" after upgrading

2»

Comments

• tdecisions
    tdecisions Member ✭✭
    > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > First, the latest version of Windows 10 is 1903. Have you considered upgrading? Second, as I posted earlier, I have installed Quicken using an Administrator account and then switched to a user account, started Quicken and opened a data file with no problem. Why must you use an admin account in order to successfully launch your data file? Why do you need to run with the Windows 8 compatibility mode box checked? What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file?

I'm not ready to upgrade yet, and I'm not convinced the issue is with Windows 10 1809 since it worked just fine until a recent Quicken upgrade (see above). I currently have to use an Admin account since I'm getting (five) memory errors whenever I open any data file using just my user account. I never set the Windows 8 compatibility mode box - it was set that way when I went in to look at the properties of the Quicken icon (unchecking the box has had no affect). My data is stored in "C:\Users\{user_acct}\Documents\Quicken"
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm out of ideas. I have an older laptop with 4 GB of RAM and Windows 10 Pro Version 1903. I install Quicken Subscription (currently R21.16) using an Administrator account and then run Quicken using an User account and don't have any problems. My Quicken shortcut doesn't have any Compatibility boxes checked.

It's either something in Windows or Quicken. You said you run QCleanUI to remove Quicken (though there are some folders left behind that should be deleted) and reinstalled a new copy. At which release did you start getting the Out of Memory message? Have you tried going back to the release that worked?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Avail Memory: 2097151K (16GB total RAM in my system)
    Total Memory: Same as Avail Memory
    I'm out of ideas, too, but this part bothers me. Q should be seeing 4 GB, the maximum for a 32-bit program.
    A thing to try would be to reboot into Safe Mode with Networking (if Win10 has such a thing or equivalent (I'm a Win7 holdout)) and see whether the problem goes away. If it does, I would guess the problem is external to Q and something is preventing Q from allocating enough memory.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Greg_the_Geek
    I have 8 GB of RAM in my desktop and I get the same number from Quicken.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    I have 8 GB also, and when I run Q with no other applications, it sees 4 GB.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    I also don't allow Win7 to manage my pagefile. I tried running without one, and had issues. I then manually set it to 8000 MB. With a solid state drive, I don't want the pagefile changing size at Windows's whim.

• Greg_the_Geek
    That's weird. Here's a screenshot from my laptop with 4 GB. Both computers are running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Version 1903.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    My display isn't weird, yours is weird. Mine is proper. As a Win7 holdout for the next few months, this kind of thing going on in Win10 doesn't thrill me.
    Or maybe you guys both have bitcoin mining viruses eating up your RAM.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    edited August 2019
    @Sherlock, you have an amazing memory for old threads. Q has always seen 4GB on both my Win7x64 machines, and I have never been aware of user tweaks to increase that from the 2GB that some are seeing.

All I glean from that thread’s references is “On 64-bit editions of Windows, 32-bit applications marked with the IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE flag have 4 GB of address space available.” This says to me that only 20th century PCs should show less than 4GB available to Q. If I’m missing something, kindly spell it out for me.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Rocket J Squirrel:  I think it comes down to what we think the System Resources Quicken is displaying are supposed to represent on our 64-bit systems.  Note:  The Quicken image does not have the IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE flag set so the user mode virtual address space is limited to 2 GB. 
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @tdecisions ,

If you were to upgrade to the latest Public Release of Windows 10 and your User Account in Windows 10 is corrupt, upgrading will not fix it. I know, because I had a corrupt USER Account. You need to create a New User Account and reinstall Quicken according to this procedure:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7844658/installing-reinstalling-windows-quicken-subscription-editions

We can only suggest, if you don't create a New Windows User Account without importing settings, just recreate the settings. Chances are some of the settings are corrupted.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Michael Jones
    Michael Jones Member, Windows Beta Beta
    If you want to dive deep and see what the installer thinks is going on, at least in the the latest release of Quicken (I don't have older versions, so can't say when all of this was implemented for the user to access directly) you can go to Help -> Log Files -> MSI Log.  It will open in Notepad. 

Scroll down looking for something like what I pasted below and look at the path names.  If you are using a non-admin named account (even if it has admin privileges, which are NOT the same thing as logging in using an account NAMED admin), then your path should be something like:

C:\Users\LOGINNAME\* for a bunch of these.  If it's anything else, then for me that says your account profile in Windows is somehow messed up and it's not necessarily an issue with Quicken.  

You can try creating a new account in windows, log out and into that one, and reinstall and try running from there.  If that works, then you know your Windows profile is hosed somehow.  

MSI (s) (74:A0) [13:33:16:966]: SHELL32::SHGetFolderPath returned: C:\Users\micha\AppData\Roaming
    MSI (s) (74:A0) [13:33:16:966]: SHELL32::SHGetFolderPath returned: C:\Users\micha\Favorites
    MSI (s) (74:A0) [13:33:16:966]: SHELL32::SHGetFolderPath returned: C:\Users\micha\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Network Shortcuts
    MSI (s) (74:A0) [13:33:16:966]: SHELL32::SHGetFolderPath returned: C:\Users\micha\Documents
    MSI (s) (74:A0) [13:33:16:966]: SHELL32::SHGetFolderPath returned: C:\Users\micha\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Printer Shortcuts
    MSI (s) (74:A0) [13:33:16:966]: SHELL32::SHGetFolderPath returned: C:\Users\micha\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent
    MSI (s) (74:A0) [13:33:16:966]: SHELL32::SHGetFolderPath returned: C:\Users\micha\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo
    MSI (s) (74:A0) [13:33:16:966]: SHELL32::SHGetFolderPath returned: C:\Users\micha\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Templates
    MSI (s) (74:A0) [13:33:16:966]: SHELL32::SHGetFolderPath returned: C:\ProgramData
    MSI (s) (74:A0) [13:33:16:966]: SHELL32::SHGetFolderPath returned: C:\Users\micha\AppData\Local
    MSI (s) (74:A0) [13:33:16:966]: SHELL32::SHGetFolderPath returned: C:\Users\micha\Pictures
    MSI (s) (74:A0) [13:33:16:966]: SHELL32::SHGetFolderPath returned: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools
    MSI (s) (74:A0) [13:33:16:966]: SHELL32::SHGetFolderPath returned: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    MSI (s) (74:A0) [13:33:16:966]: SHELL32::SHGetFolderPath returned: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    MSI (s) (74:A0) [13:33:16:966]: SHELL32::SHGetFolderPath returned: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
    MSI (s) (74:A0) [13:33:16:966]: SHELL32::SHGetFolderPath returned: C:\Users\Public\Desktop
    MSI (s) (74:A0) [13:33:16:966]: SHELL32::SHGetFolderPath returned: C:\Users\micha\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools
    MSI (s) (74:A0) [13:33:16:966]: SHELL32::SHGetFolderPath returned: C:\Users\micha\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    MSI (s) (74:A0) [13:33:16:966]: SHELL32::SHGetFolderPath returned: C:\Users\micha\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    MSI (s) (74:A0) [13:33:16:981]: SHELL32::SHGetFolderPath returned: C:\Users\micha\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
    MSI (s) (74:A0) [13:33:16:981]: SHELL32::SHGetFolderPath returned: C:\Users\micha\Desktop
    MSI (s) (74:A0) [13:33:16:981]: SHELL32::SHGetFolderPath returned: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Templates
  • Michael Jones
    Also, you didn't say, but you aren't running Windows in a virtual machine, are you?  Like Parallels on a MAC or anything?  While these will often SHOW that you have that much virtual memory in those instances, in reality, the underlying hypervisor may in fact not be allocating that much memory.  I have the trouble sometimes when I'm beta testing using VirtualPC.  :)
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recall the previous discussions on RAM - and how Win10 sees it vs how Q sees it.
    Here is my Win10 - 64-bit - 4GB installed - Q20.15 -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Sherlock said:
     Note:  The Quicken image does not have the IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE flag set so the user mode virtual address space is limited to 2 GB. 
    May I ask how you know this is true?

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    I've only ever seen Quicken with 2GB memory on several installations. I'm on a new machine now with a fresh install and it's still 2GB.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    How is it, then, that my Quicken has always seen 4GB as shown in my comment above?

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    How is it, then, that my Quicken has always seen 4GB as shown in my comment above?
    Wonder if your "Premier" version has a slightly different OS interface for RAM usage ?
    Mine is Q2019 - Deluxe -
    OR... if there is something else different in the way Win10 "appears" on your machine ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Michael Jones
    For what it's worth, I'm using Quicken Home, Business and RP R21 on two computers, both Win 10, one 64 bit home (with 16GB of memory) the other 64 bit professional (with 8).  Both show the 2GB availability in Quicken.  Both of those computers have been upgraded from previous versions of Quicken however over the years, so it's also possible maybe an upgrade vs a clean install?  There are a whole host of underlying hardware reasons this might happen as well. 

Regardless, I don't think it's the reason the OP is having issues running Quicken.  ;)

Clearly enough of us who show the 2GB available are running just fine with large multi-year data files.  My guess is still that there is a profile issue with the Windows account....  
This discussion has been closed.