"Not enough memory to proceed" after upgrading

I have used Quicken for a long time, moving to the subscription model over the last couple of years.  This morning I accepted the installation of the latest updates, after which I now see the "Not enough memory to proceed" error.  Quicken does not load.  In the past rebooting the machine has resolved this issue - not this time.  After researching here, I used the QCleanUI tool to fully remove Quicken and then reinstalled from my downloaded copy (from quicken.com).  The installation requires admin privileges on the machine - that's fine.  I proceeded with the installation but now get the error when launching from my regular account, even after multiple restarts.  I can launch Quicken using my admin account but I see the error message "Quicken does not support the option 'Run as Administrator'."  My data files remain where they have always been - on my regular-user part of the computer.  [C:\Users\{my regular account}\Documents\Quicken]

Comments

• tdecisionstdecisions Member ✭✭
    This seems to be related to where the installation program installs various files. By default it chooses "C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken" which on my computer requires admin privileges to create. So I tried to use a different location within my "C:\Windows\Users\{my regular account}" area, to no avail. This only became an issue with the latest upgrade. As noted above, prior to that upgrade yesterday, i was able to run the program with my regular account.
  • nathan.wambachnathan.wambach Member ✭✭
    Is there any guidance on this? I am unable to open Quicken anymore because upon opening the app it constantly says "Not enough memory to proceed" until it finally quits.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have used Quicken for a long time, moving to the subscription model over the last couple of years.  This morning I accepted the installation of the latest updates, after which I now see the "Not enough memory to proceed" error.  Quicken does not load.  In the past rebooting the machine has resolved this issue - not this time.  After researching here, I used the QCleanUI tool to fully remove Quicken and then reinstalled from my downloaded copy (from quicken.com).  The installation requires admin privileges on the machine - that's fine.  I proceeded with the installation but now get the error when launching from my regular account, even after multiple restarts.  I can launch Quicken using my admin account but I see the error message "Quicken does not support the option 'Run as Administrator'."  My data files remain where they have always been - on my regular-user part of the computer.  [C:\Users\{my regular account}\Documents\Quicken]
    I would use your admin account to once again uninstall / QCLEANUI Quicken, then reinstall to the default Program Files location.
    Reboot Windows when done.
    After installation, launch Quicken from your admin account, but do NOT specify the "Run as Admin" override when you launch it.
    That's just to prove that it starts and lets you either access your regular data file or, at least, create a new Test file.
    If trying to load your regular data file you still get the memory error ... your data file may have gotten stepped on. With Quicken closed, rename the file, then start Quicken and restore from your most recent Manual or Automatic backup.
    The resolution offered by UKR did not resolve the issue, in fact left me slightly worse off in that I now cannot set up connections within Quicken to bank accounts (the pre-existing ones still work). I think the issue has to do with where Quicken wants to write temporary files. I have a folder structure under "C:\Users\{admin acct}\AppData\Roaming\Quicken" that contains config, Data, and Log folders; the Log folder contains CONNLOG, DATA_LOG, PHLOG, quickenPath, quickenPath_log, qw text files. No way my non-admin account will write to these. How do I re-direct Quicken to create these files in my non-admin account?
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, Quicken should write to  "C:\Users\{non-admin acct}\AppData\Roaming\Quicken".

Each user has their own copy of those Quicken files.
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
    Agreed, but that's not what is happening when I install using my Admin account. which I must do in order to place any part of the program in the Windows program folder structure. Is there a file somewhere that tells Quicken to look in this admin folder structure that I can change to point to the non-admin Quicken folder structure? is there a set of instructions that would tell me how properly to install Quicken when a user doesn't have admin rights on the computer? Thanks.