"Not enough memory to proceed" after upgrading

I have used Quicken for a long time, moving to the subscription model over the last couple of years.  This morning I accepted the installation of the latest updates, after which I now see the "Not enough memory to proceed" error.  Quicken does not load.  In the past rebooting the machine has resolved this issue - not this time.  After researching here, I used the QCleanUI tool to fully remove Quicken and then reinstalled from my downloaded copy (from quicken.com).  The installation requires admin privileges on the machine - that's fine.  I proceeded with the installation but now get the error when launching from my regular account, even after multiple restarts.  I can launch Quicken using my admin account but I see the error message "Quicken does not support the option 'Run as Administrator'."  My data files remain where they have always been - on my regular-user part of the computer.  [C:\Users\{my regular account}\Documents\Quicken]

Comments

• tdecisions
    tdecisions Member ✭✭
    This seems to be related to where the installation program installs various files. By default it chooses "C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken" which on my computer requires admin privileges to create. So I tried to use a different location within my "C:\Windows\Users\{my regular account}" area, to no avail. This only became an issue with the latest upgrade. As noted above, prior to that upgrade yesterday, i was able to run the program with my regular account.
  • nathan.wambach
    nathan.wambach Member ✭✭
    Is there any guidance on this? I am unable to open Quicken anymore because upon opening the app it constantly says "Not enough memory to proceed" until it finally quits.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have used Quicken for a long time, moving to the subscription model over the last couple of years.  This morning I accepted the installation of the latest updates, after which I now see the "Not enough memory to proceed" error.  Quicken does not load.  In the past rebooting the machine has resolved this issue - not this time.  After researching here, I used the QCleanUI tool to fully remove Quicken and then reinstalled from my downloaded copy (from quicken.com).  The installation requires admin privileges on the machine - that's fine.  I proceeded with the installation but now get the error when launching from my regular account, even after multiple restarts.  I can launch Quicken using my admin account but I see the error message "Quicken does not support the option 'Run as Administrator'."  My data files remain where they have always been - on my regular-user part of the computer.  [C:\Users\{my regular account}\Documents\Quicken]
    I would use your admin account to once again uninstall / QCLEANUI Quicken, then reinstall to the default Program Files location.
    Reboot Windows when done.
    After installation, launch Quicken from your admin account, but do NOT specify the "Run as Admin" override when you launch it.
    That's just to prove that it starts and lets you either access your regular data file or, at least, create a new Test file.
    If trying to load your regular data file you still get the memory error ... your data file may have gotten stepped on. With Quicken closed, rename the file, then start Quicken and restore from your most recent Manual or Automatic backup.
  • tdecisions
    tdecisions Member ✭✭
    The resolution offered by UKR did not resolve the issue, in fact left me slightly worse off in that I now cannot set up connections within Quicken to bank accounts (the pre-existing ones still work). I think the issue has to do with where Quicken wants to write temporary files. I have a folder structure under "C:\Users\{admin acct}\AppData\Roaming\Quicken" that contains config, Data, and Log folders; the Log folder contains CONNLOG, DATA_LOG, PHLOG, quickenPath, quickenPath_log, qw text files. No way my non-admin account will write to these. How do I re-direct Quicken to create these files in my non-admin account?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, Quicken should write to  "C:\Users\{non-admin acct}\AppData\Roaming\Quicken".

Each user has their own copy of those Quicken files.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • tdecisions
    tdecisions Member ✭✭
    Agreed, but that's not what is happening when I install using my Admin account. which I must do in order to place any part of the program in the Windows program folder structure. Is there a file somewhere that tells Quicken to look in this admin folder structure that I can change to point to the non-admin Quicken folder structure? is there a set of instructions that would tell me how properly to install Quicken when a user doesn't have admin rights on the computer? Thanks.
  • nathan.wambach
    nathan.wambach Member ✭✭
    For me, setting compatibility model to Windows 8 stopped this message. It may be that you have to set this every time the app updates though.
  • tdecisions
    tdecisions Member ✭✭
    Changing the compatibility model doesn't change things for me. I still think the program is looking for its config files in the admin folder structure. Is there a way I can repoint the application to look in my user folder?
  • tdecisions
    tdecisions Member ✭✭
    I'd really like to resolve this issue because I have to download individual QFX files from two institutions I use all of the time. Then I have to import them through File | File Import - tedious to say the least!
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    You should be able to install Quicken using the admin account and then open Quicken in the non-admin account.  I suspect you did not perform a complete clean uninstall: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken

• tdecisions
    tdecisions Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your reply. I followed the instructions explicitly. But when I go to open my data file, I get the same "Not enough memory to proceed error". What's next?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    FWIW, I just created a Standard Windows user account, installed a fresh copy of Quicken Subscription R19.55 and had no trouble running Quicken.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    If you press the Ctrl key while you open Quicken, do you receive the error?  If you do receive the error, you may want to consider reverting to an earlier patch release.  If you do not get the error, I suggest you attempt to restore a data file backup. 

To revert to an earlier patch release, I suggest you perform a clean uninstall, install while disconnected from the internet, update by applying the appropriate Mondo Patch, and restore a data file saved prior to updating from the earlier patch release.  If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken. To update Quicken, I recommend you download and apply the appropriate Mondo Patch: https://www.quicken.com/support/patching-updates-windows or http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html

To prevent Quicken from automatically applying an update, I suggest you set Windows UAC settings appropriately.
  • tdecisions
    tdecisions Member ✭✭
    Thank you both! I am able to open Quicken using the Ctrl key. But when I attempt to open either data file I use regularly, I get the memory error. The version of Quicken running on my system is R19.55.
  • tdecisions
    tdecisions Member ✭✭
    Still not fully resolved but I have additional information: I logged into my computer using the admin account and ran QcleanUI to totally remove all vestiges of the Quicken program files. I noticed when I started the utility that it contained these two lines:

StartUp Path : C:\Users\{admin account}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\

and

User Desktop Path : C:\Users\{admin account}\Desktop\

If Quicken is trying to use these paths when I log in to my computer with my regular user account and start Quicken, then it will definitely fail to start properly. However, when I launch Quicken while holding down the Ctrl key, the application loads. But as soon as I try to load one of my standard data files, I get the memory error.
  • tdecisions
    tdecisions Member ✭✭
    Can I make Quicken start up in "verbose" mode so I can get a log of what it is trying to do, thus perhaps giving me enough info to solve the problem?
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @tdecisions

Thank you for taking the time to report this error to the Community, although I apologize that you have not yet received a follow-up response.

There is not a "verbose" mode available for Quicken, I apologize.  The closest is the various log files that Quicken writes to when opening the program and a data file, which may give some additional information about what is happening.

I would also recommend viewing the Windows Event Log for additional insight.  Steps to locate the files are available here and here.

Or, if you haven't already, I would also recommend contacting Quicken Support to troubleshoot this issue further.  Support has the ability to share your screen (view only, they cannot take control) to see what is happening in real time.

Please let us know how it goes, thank you.

Sarah

• tencent
    tencent Member ✭✭
    @Greg_the_Geek here is one. My around, after trying on 4 different computers, is save a install package for R14.23, install while disconnected from the internet, and disconnect from internet every time i open up quicken so it won't auto update.
  • Hi folks ... I just (automatically) installed the upgrade to R21.16, and am having the same problem. Come on Quicken - Fix This! For an application that is central to many people's management of their finances, this is an egregious and unacceptable situation.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Is your Windows user account an Administrator account? What Version and OS Build of Windows are you using? Are there any boxes checked in the Compatibility tab of the Quicken shortcut?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just looked through this thread again, and maybe I missed it, but I don't see where @tdecisions reported on how much memory is in the computer. Please report both real and virtual memory. Also do Help > CTRL+About Quicken and report what it says for available and total memory.
    I don't think it's terribly likely that actual shortage of memory is the underlying cause of this problem, but let's rule that out. If it is the cause, increasing the Windows pagefile could fix this.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Greg_the_Geek
    FWIW, I've run Quicken on an older laptop with only 2 GB of RAM and never gotten that error message. I always let Windows set the virtual memory.
  • tdecisions
    tdecisions Member ✭✭
    replying to Rocket J Squirrel:
    I'm running Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property R20
    Size of QDF file: 320892K (yeah, that's a lot!)
    Accounts: 140
    Categories: 889
    Transactions: 137,932
    Avail Memory: 2097151K (16GB total RAM in my system)
    Total Memory: Same as Avail Memory
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    edited August 2019
    With 16 GB total RAM, I wonder why Quicken is only seeing 2 GB. It should see 4 GB.
    Your file is double the size of mine, and I thought mine was big. Do you really need that many accounts and categories? And what about memorized payees you didn't show?
    You could experiment using File > File Operations > Copy and create a new, smaller file, leaving behind really old stuff. Assuming you can open the file at all.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• tdecisions
    tdecisions Member ✭✭
    > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > Is your Windows user account an Administrator account? What Version and OS Build of Windows are you using? Are there any boxes checked in the Compatibility tab of the Quicken shortcut?

The account I wish to use is a user account; I must use an admin account in order to successfully launch my data file. I am running Windows 10 Build 1809. The only box checked on the Compatibility tab of my Quicken desktop shortcut is "Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows 8" - but I must add that I can't use that shortcut. It launches Quicken and I am prompted for a datafile; I choose my datafile and see the "Not enough memory to proceed" error message. I see that same message five successive times before Quicken quits.
    This is true for both datafiles I use regularly. Thanks.
  • tdecisions
    tdecisions Member ✭✭
    > @Rocket J Squirrel said:
    > With 16 GB total RAM, I wonder why Quicken is only seeing 2 GB. It should see 4 GB.Your file is double the size of mine, and I thought mine was big. Do you really need that many accounts and categories? And what about memorized payees you didn't show?You could experiment using File > File Operations > Copy and create a new, smaller file, leaving behind really old stuff. Assuming you can open the file at all.

I've tried that too: Same error message even with a brand new data file. Seems like the issue is in where Quicken wants to create temporary files.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > Is your Windows user account an Administrator account? What Version and OS Build of Windows are you using? Are there any boxes checked in the Compatibility tab of the Quicken shortcut?

The account I wish to use is a user account; I must use an admin account in order to successfully launch my data file. I am running Windows 10 Build 1809. The only box checked on the Compatibility tab of my Quicken desktop shortcut is "Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows 8" - but I must add that I can't use that shortcut. It launches Quicken and I am prompted for a datafile; I choose my datafile and see the "Not enough memory to proceed" error message. I see that same message five successive times before Quicken quits.
    This is true for both datafiles I use regularly. Thanks.
    Do NOT run Quicken with compatibility mode for older Quicken versions enabled.
    When changing this setting from your Admin account, be sure to click the "Apply to all users" button.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    First, the latest version of Windows 10 is 1903. Have you considered upgrading? Second, as I posted earlier, I have installed Quicken using an Administrator account and then switched to a user account, started Quicken and opened a data file with no problem. Why must you use an admin account in order to successfully launch your data file? Why do you need to run with the Windows 8 compatibility mode box checked? What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Seems like the issue is in where Quicken wants to create temporary files.
    Make sure your user account has write access to C:\ProgramData\Quicken\

• tdecisions
    tdecisions Member ✭✭
    > @Rocket J Squirrel said:
    > (Quote)
    > Make sure your user account has write access to C:\ProgramData\Quicken\

I have done so, without it's fixing the problem. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.