Report subcategory order?

When I run a transaction report, my subcategories don't display in alpha/numeric order. Why? (I've named my subcategories 01 Architect, 02 Permits, 03 Demolition, etc.)

Thanks for any help!
Tagged:

Comments

• jeff.power.1176
    jeff.power.1176 Member ✭✭
    I'm using Quicken Starter 2019, Version 5.11.0
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What order do they go?  Can you tell if they are sorting by something else?

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you look at your Category list ... in what order do they display there?
    Perchance, is that the same order as you get in your reports?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• jeff.power.1176
    Thanks for asking volvogirl... it seems to be random every time I bring up the report. I can't see any obvious order. And the categories don't re-sort when I click on the sort arrow in the right of the "category" column.
  • jeff.power.1176
    Hi NotACAP... they sort in the correct numerical order in my category list. But they sort randomly (it seems) when I bring up the report.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you post a screen shot of the report that's out of order?

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• jeff.power.1176
    Here's a screenshot...
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reverse numeric.  Curious.  If you print a longer report, with more main cats, are they in reverse numeric also?  What about their sub-cats?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Your report shows it is sorted by the Amount column:

Click on the Category column to re-sort the report by Category name. How does that work?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jeff.power.1176
    Thanks jacobs... I've tried clicking the sort button on every column, no luck. The report seems to randomly sort in different ways every time I open Quicken and run it.
  • jacobs
    Yup, I just did some testing now, and I see that subcategories aren't alphabetized. I guess I had never noticed this. I suggest using Help > Report a Problem to report this, as it seems to be a bug to me.
  • jeff.power.1176
    Thanks jacobs... I'll do that... I guess it's another level in their development process...
  • Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    Very curious as in all of my reports all of the subcategories are sorted properly, I am however using the Premier version of Quicken 2019.  Could it be something that is only present in the Starter Edition??
  • jacobs
    @Snowman First, there's no separate Quicken Starter, quicken Deluxe or Quicken Premier -- they're all the same application, with just certain features enabled/disabled based on your subscription level.

Second, I'm using Premier, and I was able to find subcategories that were no in alphabetical order. (When you tested, were you using New Report, or the old Category Summary? The bug is with New Report; I didn't test the other.)
  • jeff.power.1176
    @jacobs @Snowman ah yes, it must be related to a new report, because when I add those categories to one of my old reports they sort just fine within that report. Interesting...
  • jacobs
    But beware that there are problems with the old Category Summary report. Many people have reported that it does not include all the data it should. I would absolutely not use that report at this time.
  • jeff.power.1176
    @jacobs thanks
This discussion has been closed.