How do I record a mutual fund "exchange"?

For example, Vanguard Mid-Cap (VIMSX) with a share class of " Investor" to Vanguard Mid-Cap (VIMAX) with a share class of "Admiral". The cost basis stays the same, but the number of shares change. There is no gain or loss on the exchange.

Best Answers


  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which Q product are you running?  What BUILD of Q (do HELP, About Quicken for this info).
    Because "Mutual Fund Exchange" is an investment transaction in the higher level Q products.

    Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vanguard Investor to Admiral conversion is a Share Class Conversion in Quicken. Click on Enter Transactions and pick Mutual Fund Conversion.

    This is different from what Vanguard calls an "exchange" where you sell one mutual fund and buy another.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Norm17
    Norm17 Member ✭✭
    I have Quicken Premier 2018 Version. The drop down menu for Transactions does not include Mutual Fund Conversion.
    Any help you can provide would b appreciated.
  • Norm17
    Norm17 Member ✭✭
    I figured out that this can be done for a SMF as follows:
    1. Change the mutual fund Symbol to the new Symbol – when changing the Symbol (on 2nd screen) check “Merge Quotes …”
    2. Use the Stock Split transaction
    3. Update the portfolio
This discussion has been closed.