My quicked data file is too large and is concerning. How to archive older years out of the file.

Is there a way to archive years of older data out of my working Quicken data file? My goal is to reduce the sized of my working quicken data file, but not permanently lose the records from the years I archive out. Is this possible?
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7149937/faq-year-end-copy

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7149937/faq-year-end-copy
  • Orion13
    Orion13 Member ✭✭
    GeoffG - File Size is 148,020 KB My primary concern is program performance. About the last 3 months, any transaction work in my largest account (checking) in the file is painfully slow. You can hit the save button for a transaction, and everything goes into molasses mode. It can take 45 seconds while you watch the screen flicker and resized over the windows control bar at the bottom of the screen several times, the sound file for the transaction may eventually sound, but it will be maybe 1/2 minute longer before the register balance updates itself. Mainly noticeable on the checking account, with my most transitions. So I was thinking data file size. It also sometimes has felt like the update feature is continuously trying to run maybe... as if the delays are similar to when you are downloading transaction prior to reconciling. Any thoughts?

And Sherlock - I read the post you sent. Ok - I'm convinced I shouldn't. So I guess my question converts to the explanation above.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    The data file is not too large but you have a performance issue to resolve.  Unfortunately, there are many possible contributors to a degraded performance. Regarding the screen flicker, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/screen-flickers-flashes-or-jumps-when-using-quicken-windows
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    For that large checking account, I would start a new checking account.  Move the non-reconciled transactions to it and then do transfer of the remaining balance from old to new, which should make the ending balance correct, if not tweak the opening balance.
    Then, when you run reports against checking, include both accounts, but the day-to-day workings of that account will not be slowed by all of the old transactions.
    Nobody asked if you have attachments which will bloat a file but generally does slow Quicken down.
    Doing Help->About Quicken with the CTRL key held down will give you some statistics on your file.  The QDF file size it references is the size of the QDF file inside the overall QDF file.  Back in 2010 they combined all of the separate files used by Quicken into a single compressed file, so it will be smaller than the file size shown in Windows Explorer.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Orion13
    Orion13 Member ✭✭
    Thank you Sherlock. Resetting the cloud data from another answer you provided seems also to be improving program performance back to normal. I'm checking some additional items out too, but syncing issues in the background may have been causing the performance issues.
This discussion has been closed.