Load a backup file into a new account?

Options
Two years ago, started having trouble with Quicken. Quicken help told me that my file was "too big" and that I should break it apart. So I saved from x/x/1992 through x/x/2014 into a qdf file.

Then anything after x/x/2014 is in the current file.

I'd really like to be able to search that prior data. Can I "restore" that older qdf into a new account? I tried - Added a new account, then restored with that file, but it override the new data completely. I was able to reverse it - but why can't I restore into a new account without it thinking it is the current account?

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's almost impossible to merge 2 Q data files.
    What you should be able to do, however, is to Restore that older file ... but give it a new/different name, so that it doesn't overwrite your current file.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You can rename the file in Windows Explorer and when you do the restore, it will not overwrite the existing data file.
    OR, when doing the restore, choose to have Quicken make a copy, not overwrite, the data file.
    Either way, you will end up with two data files, which are independent of each other.
    You should though, deactivate the online linkage in the restored file so that if you inadvertently trigger One Step Update, it does not try to pull down any new data into the older data file.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Joan Triano
    Joan Triano Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. The problem is that the old file already had a different name - yet Quicken treated it like it was the current. Can't figure out why.

I will try again and look to see if it has a choice to make a copy, not overwrite. Don't recall seeing that choice the first time around.

I don't have online activated but thanks for the tip
  • Joan Triano
    Joan Triano Member ✭✭
    Options
    I think the real issue here is that Quicken isn't capable of importing information into just one account - it wants to import the entire data file. Which sucks.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think the real issue here is that Quicken isn't capable of importing information into just one account -
    A couple of points...
    Unfortunately - whomever at Quicken Help told you the file was "too big" should be flogged.... that is NEVER a problem - my Quicken file is 153 MB -
    Anyway, as suggested above, one way or another, restore the old file into a NEW Quicken file, so as to NOT overwrite any existing data.
    Then, you might be able to EXPORT some of the Account data, and then later IMPORT that data into your other more current Quicken file.... just a thought -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You are trying to MERGE two data files and Quicken does not support that.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
This discussion has been closed.