new error on sign-in--black screen opens and an inactive sign-in dialog

Quicken opens to the dashboard, then suddenly opens a black screen over most of the app. This cannot be closed nor is the remaining menu bar enabled. A small sign-in dialog appears that is also inactive.
Almost looks like a hack to phich for my account info--except that it's not enabled.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• hgclay
    hgclay Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    My Quicken license is a Premier level.
    Running Release 22.12 on Windows 10 Home . (Lenovo with i5s) Verizon FIOS Quantum

Happily, I have resolved the problem--it is indeed Quicken-based. I resolved the problem by
    1) dropping the video to 640 x 480.
    2) Run Quicken. The dashboard now stays on top and the login dialog form is active (and large).
    3) Login to Quicken
    4) Reboot Quicken. (Normal dashboard screen restored).

Why does this happen?
    Recall in my published problem (above), the login dialog appears on top in a micro-font size--even smaller than my max screen resolution would render. It is also un-enabled.

I had set large fonts in View and found that the top page fonts are large, but none of the drop-down menus change from the native screen resolution. This makes them tiny, even on a 15 inch screen. I recall using Zoom to help balance the font sizes--perhaps mixing zoom and the menu "Use Large Fonts" is what triggered the rendering failures.

Perhaps Quicken needs to consider use cases that include adjusting font sizes on all screens, not just the top level. (Note my vision is corrected to 20/20; but I am in my 60s so tiny fonts are not necessarily comfortable on a laptop.

Answers

• Hello hgclay,

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue to the Community, although I apologize you have not yet received a response.

What version/release of Quicken are you using? You can find that by going to Help>About Quicken. Also, please review this FAQ for details on adding more information to your post so that other users are best able to assist you. 

Is this issue still occurring? If so, are you able to still use Quicken or any of its features, or does the black screen prevent further use of the program?

To start, I suggest a reboot of your computer. If the issue persists, you may try performing a QCleanUI to resolve any potential issues with the installation of Quicken on your computer, following these steps.

Please note that the QCleanUI process can be complex. You may consider contacting Support for guidance on completing these steps as well as more in-depth troubleshooting of the issue.

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

• hgclay
    hgclay Member ✭✭
    Thanks, Natalie! All updates for my Premier edition were up-to-date. Everything was working fine until this sudden event.
    I have done the following:
    I Unistalled Quicken; used QCleanUI and reinstalled Quicken to no effect. The program still loads my dashboard and after 2-3 seconds, covers most of the screen with black and a miniature login dialog. The main menu -- in the back--bar is also reduced to only Files and Help. It is not the usual Files and Help submenus, though!
    Of course, I have a screenshot, but this "help" blog does not allow an attachment.
  • Hello hgclay,

Thank you for responding with those additional details, although I apologize that you are unable to add an image to the post.

At this point, I would suggest contacting Support for more in-depth troubleshooting. I recommend having the Agent establish a screen share with you so that you can show them exactly what is occurring and then they can work with you to identify a solution. 

Thank you,

-Quicken Natalie 

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• hgclay
    hgclay Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    My Quicken license is a Premier level.
    Running Release 22.12 on Windows 10 Home . (Lenovo with i5s) Verizon FIOS Quantum

Happily, I have resolved the problem--it is indeed Quicken-based. I resolved the problem by
    1) dropping the video to 640 x 480.
    2) Run Quicken. The dashboard now stays on top and the login dialog form is active (and large).
    3) Login to Quicken
    4) Reboot Quicken. (Normal dashboard screen restored).

Why does this happen?
    Recall in my published problem (above), the login dialog appears on top in a micro-font size--even smaller than my max screen resolution would render. It is also un-enabled.

I had set large fonts in View and found that the top page fonts are large, but none of the drop-down menus change from the native screen resolution. This makes them tiny, even on a 15 inch screen. I recall using Zoom to help balance the font sizes--perhaps mixing zoom and the menu "Use Large Fonts" is what triggered the rendering failures.

Perhaps Quicken needs to consider use cases that include adjusting font sizes on all screens, not just the top level. (Note my vision is corrected to 20/20; but I am in my 60s so tiny fonts are not necessarily comfortable on a laptop.
This discussion has been closed.