Category Lines in a paycheck

I have my paycheck set up with my primary category of 'Salary' and then some other categories (Vacation, Holiday, etc) that are zero. If I take vacation (for example) I put in a vlaue for Vacation and then subtract that from the basic salary line. For those extra categories not used in this pay period I have been deleting that line. It has worked fine up to now. Now when I delete a lne that has zero dollars in it, the net value at the bottom changes. I have validated my data file. After three tries it is coming up with no errors, But the problem still exists.

Anyone have an idea?

Comments

  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't already, you may want to try using a split transaction window when editing the paycheck in the register: select the transaction and press Ctrl + Shift + S
  • Dave Davis
    Dave Davis Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply, However, I'm confused. When I open a paycheck transaction as a split, it opens as a paycheck. I get the problem whether I open the transaction after it is already created in my account or I make the change in the saved transaction in 'Bill and Income Reminders' before completing it. I guess I could create it as a split transaction in the first place, but then what good is the purpose of a paycheck transaction?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    You're double clicking the transaction to open it.  Only click it once, to select it, then follow Sherlock's instructions.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Dave Davis
    Dave Davis Member ✭✭
    Thanks Sherlock & NotACPA!.

    I wasn't double-clicking, I'm was selecting and hitting the split transaction button. Ctrl + Shift + S had been hijacked. Because of this problem I finally had incentive to track down the culprit. It was Microsoft's Mouse Without Borders.

    Anyway, this does allows me to edit the paycheck without the problem. But, it doesn't explain why it just started now, and it just adds to the work arounds I have to do to get Quicken to work when it doesn't work the way it's supposed to.

    BTW, I tried Quicken support, but they didn't have a clue. So again, thanks.
This discussion has been closed.