Cash for Investment Transaction Did not Post to Bank Account QUICKEN DELUXE/SUBSCRIPTION

Transaction "Buy- Shares Bought" was posted to an investment account and it reconciled properly. The cash for this transaction is a bank account ("From"). This bank account's register does NOT show this transaction. I worked around the problem by re-posting the investment transaction using a different bank account and then re-posting again to the correct bank account.

Is this a known problem ? Is there a fix for it ?

Thanks.
Thanks,
zkaps

Comments

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello zkaps,

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue to the Community, although I apologize that you have not yet received a response.

If you are still needing assistance with missing transactions in Quicken, please take a moment and review the information available here and post back to let us know what version and release of Quicken you are using.

Please also let us know the name of the bank associated with this missing transaction. Is this account connected for automatic download or is this account tracked manually?  The more information you can provide regarding this issue will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • zkaps
    zkaps Member ✭✭
    Per your email requesting additional information......
    I don't how to better describe the problem above and beyond what's in my original post but I will try.

It was investment transaction ("buy") that was downloaded from the financial institution, which I modified after Accepting the downloaded transaction with the correct bank account (the source of the $s for the "buy"). However, these $s never posted to the bank account and I implemented the workaround described in my original post to correct the numbers in my bank account.

Using Quicken Deluxe Version R22.17, Build 27.1.22.17. I have received updates since the problem occurred so this is not the exact version with which I experienced the problem.
    Thanks,
    zkaps
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    "It was investment transaction ("buy") that was downloaded from the financial institution, which I modified after Accepting the downloaded transaction with the correct bank account (the source of the $s for the "buy")."
    I assume that the buy downloaded with the cash effect being in the investment Account itself, i.e., the box "Use cash for this transaction" had the "From this account's cash balance" ticked and "cash" in the investment Account was reduced for the Buy?  And then you edited the transaction to select "From" [Name of bank Account]"?
    I know of no reason why that wouldn't work and in fact tried it with a downloaded Buy action in my personal file and it worked just fine, so I think you might have some sort of "local" issue going on.  When you state " I worked around the problem by re-posting the investment transaction using a different bank account and then re-posting again to the correct bank account", did you actually delete the downloaded transaction completely and then enter it again, or were you editing the downloaded transaction each time?  (It should work either way but if something was slightly wrong - invisibly wrong - with the downloaded transaction I'd think that deleting and then re-entering the transaction would be the way to go.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Just to be on the safe side ...

If you haven't rebooted Windows since you installed the latest software update, please do so now and then try Quicken again.

Still not working?

Let's try some "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly and that your data file is in good working order.
    Please perform all the steps in this document:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

As to buying stock and transferring the cash from a different bank account ...
    I've always recorded two separate transactions:
    1. Transfer cash from my bank checking account to the investment account
    2. Buy shares of stock using the cash balance in my investing account.
    Yes, I know, what you're doing should work, but that has always worked best for me. Just saying ...
  • zkaps
    zkaps Member ✭✭
    Tom,
    Your understanding of the problem is correct. I too have done this many times in the past over 10+ years but this is the first time I came across this error thus the reason for my post. Maybe it was a one-time local issue, bad downloaded transaction or whatever. I cannot tell.

Regarding my workaround...l did not delete the "buy". I changed the bank account in the investment account to another bank, saved the "buy" transaction, and confirmed the debit had registered in this bank account. Afterwards I restored the correct bank account in "buy", saved it and confirmed that this time the debit was in the bank account's register.

Thanks.
    Thanks,
    zkaps
  • zkaps
    zkaps Member ✭✭
    UKR,

Thanks for the recommendations. However, your steps 1, 2 recommendation works only if the investment account can have a cash balance. This problem occurred in a Mutual Fund-only account; no cash balance.

Since I had the problem, I used this type of transaction several times and it's working fine.

zkaps
    Thanks,
    zkaps
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    That may be part of the problem.  Most of us recommend not to use the Single Mutual Fund type of account. It is very limiting. You can Edit it and change it from SMF. 

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    zkaps said:
    UKR,

Thanks for the recommendations. However, your steps 1, 2 recommendation works only if the investment account can have a cash balance. This problem occurred in a Mutual Fund-only account; no cash balance.

Since I had the problem, I used this type of transaction several times and it's working fine.

zkaps
    AFAIK, you don't really need to have a functionally restricted Single Mututal Fund account. A regular retirement account should do.
    How about this:
    First, make a backup of your Quicken data file ("Murphy insurance", in case something goes wrong)
    Go into Edit Account Details
    Change the radio button at "Single mutual fund account" from Yes to No
    Click OK.
    Check the results, especially the cash transfers into the account. Are they still correct? If not, restore your Quicken data file from the backup you made earlier and forget everything I said.
This discussion has been closed.