Negative Cash Amount in SEP IRA Account

I have a negative cash amount in my SEP-IRA account. It is a nice round figure with no cents ($2885.00). I cannot figure out where this amount came from. I have transactions in the account back to 2001. I scanned through them trying to determine the origin, but to no avail. Can anyone help me with hints on why I would have a negative cash amount in a retirement account? All the other accounts are reconciled and balanced.

Best Answer

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I cannot figure out where this amount came from."

The Account has a "Cash Bal" column and it keeps a running total and the running total is reflected "Cash Balance" down in the lower right hand corner of the screen as well as the "Holdings" window.  Are you saying that the running balance in the Cash Bal column in one figure, e.g., $159.75, but the Holding window and/or the Cash Balance reported right below the transaction list is different?

• Mammondee
    Mammondee Member ✭✭
    Are you saying that the running balance in the Cash Bal column in one figure, e.g., $159.75, but the Holding window and/or the Cash Balance reported right below the transaction list is different?

The Cash Bal column is $0.00, which is correct. There is no cash in this particular SEP-IRA investment account. The "Total Market Value" is short by $2,885. The only place I see this amount is when I click on the Holdings tab which shows the negative cash of $-2,885
  • Mammondee
    Mammondee Member ✭✭
    Jim Harman.....your explanation is exactly what I needed. Thank you so much for your quick and thorough answer.
This discussion has been closed.