Quicken won't recognize a purchase of Vanguard Wellington

DaveL
DaveL Member
edited December 2019 in Investing (Windows)
Purchased vanguard wellington but program will not post it

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How have you recorded that purchase in  Q?  Did you set up an Investment account (taxable or IRA) to hold that security?  Have you downloaded from Vanguard into Q?
    Also, What Q product are you running?  What BUILD of Q?  Do HELP{, About Quicken for this info.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• DaveL
    DaveL Member
    Running 2015 Premier. Have all my accounts and mutual funds posted but it accepts it and reduced the cash value but will not post on the investments page.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I assume "the investments page" is referring to to what comes up when you click the Investments tab, commonly referred to a "Portfolio View." 
    Does the investment show up when you click on the "Holdings" button in the Account itself?  If you can see the security in the Holdings view and not Portfolio View, click Options > Customize current view... > Securities and make sure Vanguard Wellington is selected.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    DaveL said:
    Running 2015 Premier. Have all my accounts and mutual funds posted....
    If you are running Q 2015 -
    how are you downloading or entering transactions ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• DaveL
    DaveL Member
    Not downloading, am entering manually. All others that I enter post just fine.
  • DaveL
    DaveL Member
    Unfortunately customizing the view is not available with 2015. I don't care for the new system of subscribing annually so I guess I'll keep my investments on another program.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Before you give up on Quicken, could you please explain what you mean by "will not post on the investments page"? Is this the window titled "Account Overview" that is displayed when you are viewing the transactions for an account and you click on the Holdings button, or it it one of the views that are displayed when you select Investing then Portfolio?

The Investing > Portfolio views can certainly be customized in Q2015. Click on Customize near the top then click on Securities to make sure your Wellington fund is included in the current view. If Wellington does not appear in the list, it may be hidden. Check the box Show (hidden secuiities) at the bottom. If that box is not present, go to Tools > Securtiy list, select the Show Hidden securities box there, and make sure Wanguard Wellington is not marked as Hidden.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another possibility is that the purchase date you entered for the Buy is in the future. Both the Holdings and Investing > Portfolio views default to showing your holdings as of today, so a future-dated Buy will not appear there. 

You can either set the As of date to the purchase date or later, or correct the purchase date of the Buy.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    DaveL said:
    Running 2015 Premier. Have all my accounts and mutual funds posted but it accepts it and reduced the cash value but will not post on the investments page.
    As mentioned above -
    WHAT exactly are you looking at and calling the "Investments Page"
    since that could mean anything depending on where and what you are viewing...

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please go into Tools / Security List.
    Show us the line with this security, all columns.
    Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and up) can be used to capture a partial screen image and save it to a file.  Microsoft Paint can be used to annotate the image.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots
    To take a screenshot in Mac please see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361
    Please create image files of type PNG, JPG or GIF only.
    To attach the image here, start composing your reply in the "Type your comment" box at the bottom of this webpage. Drag and drop the image or, at the top of the text entry window you'll see a row of icons possibly beginning with B I S
    Click the "Attach image" icon (the one that looks like a tiny landscape with mountain and sun). It will allow you to select and upload the captured image file(s) from your computer. The captured image(s) will be inserted at wherever the cursor is located in the text.

• DaveL
    DaveL Member
    Thank you all for your help. You got me delving deeper into the program and was able to cure the problem by clicking on the customize button on the portfolio page then clicking on securities, then securities to show in this view. clicked on vanguard wellington and voila, it now shows in the portfolio view. Also thank you UKR for the snippet tip, that is a handy tool.
This discussion has been closed.