Why does Tax Center/Tax Planner count Roth IRA reivested dividend as taxable income?

It is the beginning of the 2020 tax year. My Tax Center is showing 2019 reinvested dividends from my Roth IRA(s) as estimated taxable income for 2020. Any ideas?

Best Answers

Answers

• John_M
    John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    Are you using the Windows or Mac version? Note that subscription is not a version.

What follows pertains to the Mac version, but it's probably very similar in Windows.

From the "Window" window choose "Categories." Under the Investments category are all the subcategories including "Dividend Income" and "Dividend Income Tax-Free." Make sure that you are using the latter category for your Roth IRA dividends. See attached screenshots.

If that isn't the problem, I don't have any other ideas. Hope this helps.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How are you recording those reinvested dividends?  What Tax Attributes have you set for the Roth IRA? Is the Roth set as "Tax Deferred" on the Account Details screen?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• I am using Windows version. When I download transactions from my financial institution, quicken is assigning dividend categories, not me. Typically is _Div or _ReinvestDiv
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am using Windows version. When I download transactions from my financial institution, quicken is assigning dividend categories, not me. Typically is _Div or _ReinvestDiv

Do TOOLS, Category List.  What does it show in the "Tax Line Item" field across from_DivInc?

• > @John_M said:
    > Per the others, making the account tax-deferred should keep these transactions from showing up in your tax report.

This is what I ended up doing as a workaround and it seemed to work. Thanks.
  • > @NotACPA said:
    > (Quote)
    > Do TOOLS, Category List.  What does it show in the "Tax Line Item" field across from_DivInc?(Image)

"Schedule B: Dividend income"
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's not a "workaround".  It's how the account should have been setup in the 1st place.
    Glad you got it worked out.

• Well, perhaps. A Roth IRA is not exactly 'Tax deferred.' When I set the account up with the wizard and specified Roth IRA, if it was supposed to be that way it should've been set that way. I did not change it.
This discussion has been closed.