Year End Copy function has not been working for over a year

Any plans to fix it? It used to work. Every year I would make a year end copy. Now when I try, the file copy dialog box appears for less than 2 seconds and then I get a box saying "File NOT copied". Any suggestions?

Best Answer

  • rcrang
    rcrang Member
    Accepted Answer
    Thanks Sarah. After much trial and error I found a couple of categories that were causing the problem. My file seems to be functioning correctly now.

Answers

  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
  • rcrang
    rcrang Member
    I have tried validating in the past and got no errors. I just tried again and got no errors.

    I did see an error in the log after trying to copy or trying to year end copy:

    Could not copy record of type 128. DB Error: 1251
    File copy failed.

    I've seen this problem of the year end copy not working several times in the forum. I've also seen a Mondo Repair fix it. Any idea how to correct it?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    "Mondo" usually refers to software update.  By "Mondo Repair fix", are you actually referring to "SuperValidate"?
    If so, do the regular Validate routine, but hold down the CTRL and Shift keys until you see the message "SuperValidating".
    And, from the error message that you cited, this appears to me to be a data issue ... not a software issue.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • rcrang
    rcrang Member
    I saw somebody mention a "Mondo" repair fix that solved his problem. Not sure what that meant. I ran a SuperValidate and go no errors whatsoever. My file will still not Copy or YearEndCopy. I did try running a Ctrl Shift Copy and the resulting file was missing tons of categories. The file would then YearEndCopy though. I've been using Quicken for 30 years and there were so many categories missing that it would be an impossible task to fix all of the entries. So I guess I'm hooped? Why do you think it would remove so many of my categories?
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    Hello @rcrang

    I'm glad to hear that you were able to create the copy successfully, although I apologize that you have not yet received follow-up responses to your additional questions.

    I'm glad that you were able to successfully create a copy of the file using the Ctrl + Shift keys but apologize that so many categories are missing in the copy.

    Holding down the Ctrl + Shift keys while creating a data file copy, in most cases, will bypass or "skip over" the damaged data that is preventing the file from copying correctly.

    My assumption is that the issue preventing the file from copying was related to your category list.  When Quicken hit the damaged data in the database table, we bypassed that damage by skipping the request to copy the remaining categories in the list.

    This resulted in a successfully copied file that does not contain the damaged data, or in this case, missing categories.

    There's a couple of ways to move forward from this issue.
    1. Return to the original file and compare the category list to determine when the categories stopped copying.  If you can identify and remove the damaged category, you should be able to create a new copy of the file that will include the remaining categories.
    2. Export the category list from the File > File Export > QIF File option and import the missing categories into the copied file.
    3. Restore a backup copy of the original data file that does not exhibit this issue and can be copied successfully without the File Not Copied error, re-entering the missing data to bring the file to current.
    4. Archive the original file and start fresh with a new data file for 2020, using the QIF file export option to assist with building the new file.
    I hope this information is helpful and please let us know if there are any further questions/concerns the Community may assist with.

    Thank you,

    Sarah


  • rcrang
    rcrang Member
    Accepted Answer
    Thanks Sarah. After much trial and error I found a couple of categories that were causing the problem. My file seems to be functioning correctly now.
This discussion has been closed.