Multiple User Access for One Data File [edited]

I'm running Quicken 2020 version R24.14. In addition to my personal files I also have a file for a club that I am treasurer for.
I want to have another club member have access to the club file but not to my personal files.
How is the best way to set this up?

Best Answer

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 Separate Q data files.  One for you personally, and One for the club.
    The data is stored in the Q data file ... NOT in the program.
    SO, FILE, New Quicken File.
    NOW are the club financials currently intermixed with yours?  Because in that case you'd want to FILE, Save a copy as ... and then delete your personal accounts from the copy.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The one problem you will run into is that a license can only have one Quicken Id (QID) associated with it.  So, if the other user does not have their own license for Quicken (and the same edition, Starter, Deluxe, Premier or Home & Business), they will have to know your QID which means that they will have access to your Quicken.com account and any of your personal data in the Quicken Cloud Account put there by Quicken if you use QMobile/Q-Web.
    If they have their own license, they would just have to "sign in as different user"  (Preferences->Quicken Id) every time they got a copy of the data file from you and if they then made changes and passed it back to you, you would have to change the QID (in the data file) back to your QID.
    Also, keep in mind, Quicken has no way to merge two files that have had changes made to them.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Paul ,

You need to establish a New Quicken Data File, if not already separated and here in lies a problem.

You are running the Subscription  / Membership program of Quicken. In order for that file to have access to Banks for downloading of Transactions, you need to allow them access to your Quicken User ID and password.

If you don't want to let them have access to your Quicken User ID and password, it requires them to buy the the version of Quicken, you have or if they can use Quicken 2016 or 2017 ( after April 30, 2020 ) in Manual node, only.

Remember, it is the Quicken Data File for Quicken, that now requires Registration, not the program, itself.

Is the Club Member going to access to Quicken over at your home, or their home?

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Paul20
    Paul20 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the answers to my question. An internet outage due to severe weather put me a little behind so my apologies for the late response.
    We had already done most of the things suggested, i.e.

We have 2 separate QDF files, one for the club and one for personal.

The data is not intermingled.

We both are running Quicken 2020. Mine is Deluxe, his is Premier.

I believe the Quicken ID file is IDF not QID. Am I correct?

I periodically send a QDF backup to the club member and he opens it on his computer. The only thing he cannot do is to download transactions from the bank to his Quicken. I am going to give him my Quicken sign in information so he can sign in as a different user.

Will that allow him to only access the club information or will he also have access to my personal files?
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paul said:

Will that allow him to only access the club information or will he also have access to my personal files?
    If you use QMobile/Q-Web, he will have access to that data.  You do not want to let anyone else know your Quicken Id.

Paul said:

I believe the Quicken ID file is IDF not QID. Am I correct?
    I was not referring to any file, but the Quicken ID , the QID associated with a file is changed by going to Edit->Preferences->Quicken Id "login as different user".

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.