My credit card account always showed the total of my charges.

Today it started showing the balance of the card limit. I pay the total at the end of each month. I prefer the account to show the total of the charges. What happened?

Comments

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Online Balance" is the sum of all charges and credits.  You are not seeing that at the bottom of the register (to the left of "Credit Remaining")?
    BTW, I've been a Quicken user since 2008.  In all that time my credit card registers have always shown the Credit Remaining number at the bottom of the register provided the credit line amount is entered in Account Details.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• JoVee
    JoVee Member
    Boatnmaniac, thank you for your help but I have used Quicken since the late 1990s & worked in an accounting office. What happened is the total column showing a running total of what I had charged on my card suddenly changed showing not the, less than a <thousand dollars> that I had charged, but to what appeared to be the thousands that I had left on my credit line. It did not turn out to be the the remainder of my credit line. When I looked for what caused this mess & tried to make the necessary corrections it made matters even worse by changing the checking account tied to the charge card account also. After wasting a day I finally made sure nothing was out of order at any of the banks involved then allowed Quicken to make the necessary adjustments to balance the accounts again. Not the way I prefer to handle things but since I balance everything every single day, it'll have to do. My charge card account is back to showing what I owe on the account. I'm not blaming Quicken since I never found what caused it. I have always loved my Quicken.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited March 2020
    I guess I'm having a difficult time trying to picture in my head what you were seeing but what confuses me the most is that you said you normally see a running total of charges.  Quicken does not have that feature in the register.  The closest thing to that in the register is the Balance column which shows the running total of charges and payments.
    The only things that Quicken shows at the bottom of the register are (from left to right in the order shown): 
    • Qty of Transactions
    • Online Balance (what the FI reported to Quicken during the last download)
    • Credit Remaining (if the credit line has been entered into Account Details)
    • Ending Balance (the sum of all charges and payments, not just the charges)
    What register columns appear above these depends upon spacing of those columns so Credit Remaining can appear under the Balance column if the column spacings are set that way.

And, of course, if the register is filtered by something other than date then that can be really confusing.

But it sounds like the Quicken balance adjustment fixed the problem for you.  Unfortunately, that means that there is at least one transaction missing or for the wrong amount and the only way to find out what it might be is to compare your register transactions to the transaction in your online account or statement with a fine tooth comb.

Take care and be safe.

• JoVee
    JoVee Member
    I don't know what to tell you. Mine does show a column with running a total of charges. It also shows, at the bottom of the page, the banks total charged balance, the balance of the credit line & the total in my Quicken account (the running total of charges).
    But every bank seems to be different in what & how their accounts are downloaded. One of my accounts, a credit union, doesn't even include the interest charged in the download. There is always a discrepancy between their total and mine. I just assume it is the interest charge & it always matches the interest charge on my statement. Another account, for my car payments, is totally useless in what they allow to be downloaded. If I want to see anything other than the amount due, date due and a list of future payments due, I have to go into the online account and it's not easy to find even there. Only the original amount ever shows & never the account balance. So, apparently, your bank & my bank don't do things differently. Maybe there are settings that I haven't explored but I prefer it the way it is. I am always careful in that if my Quicken looks off, I check with the bank.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Which version of Quicken are you using?

• JoVee
    JoVee Member
    Quicken Deluxe Personal, downloaded. No longer get the disc. Just a dust collector. I believe the version is 2018 or 2019. The year the 2017 was no longer supported. It is updated regularly but I only replace when it is no longer supported.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Please do HELP, About Quicken ... and review your answer immediately above.
    That will show the specific product, the product year and the BUILD ... which is the info that Boatnmaniac requested.
    And, like @Boatnmaniac, I've never seen a column of just the running charge amounts in Q.  The running balance for the entire account, YES.  But not just the charges ... UNLESS, possibly, you have the account filtered to only show Charges.  You can test this theory by clicking the RESET button immediately above the Payee column in the account and then settng the "Any Type" filter (that's above the Date header) to "Charges".

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• JoVee
    JoVee Member
    Sorry I asked. This is getting to be time consuming. This is from my Quicken.com account. If this doesn't help that's the best I can do. I don't have a box with all the info on it. QUICKEN DELUXE 2019 DIRECT DOWNLOAD 1YR
    Date Purchased: October 30, 2019
  • Boatnmaniac
    JoVee, are you running Mac or Windows?  This is a Windows thread and all of my comments have been related to that.  I know Mac is different but I have little understanding of what most of those differences are.
    NotAPCA's suggestion regarding the filtering is a possible cause.  My suggestion, if you don't have it set up like this already, is to make sure all 3 filters show "All Dates", "All Types", and "All Transactions".
    We are asking these things because what you are seeing in your account(s) doesn't make sense to us and appears to be confusing to you, as well.  We want to help so Quicken is a more useful and easier to use tool for you.  But the choice is yours to make.  You can answer the questions and we will continue to try helping or you can stop replying and we all will then go on our happy ways.  It's your decision and we will respect that.

• JoVee
    JoVee Member
    This is what my Windows tells me. I may or may not take their advice since my windows 10 updates automatically.
    "You’re currently running a version of Windows that’s nearing the end of service. We recommend you update to the most recent version of Windows 10 to get the latest features and security improvements."
  • Boatnmaniac
    JoVee, sorry for the delay in responding.  Today another person has posted an issue similar to what you are seeing which makes me think that maybe this is a Quicken issue.  So, I flagged your original post and the post of that other person to bring them both to the attention of Quicken Support.

This discussion has been closed.