Update from 2017 to 2020 Bills and Reminders Issues and Observations

Options

Answers

• stevenaromero
    stevenaromero Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hi, I am also having an issue with Fidelity [OL-327-B] "invalid date range" issue. As I am not computer literate, your solution via a 'hidden' key strokes in Online Billers / Contacts to reset the DSTART are over my head. Might you be willing to share a step-by-step guide for others? Please and thank you!
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So sorry Steve. Never got notified of your post.

Open your Quicken.

Go to Tools/ Online Center

HOLD down CTRL-SHIFT and click Contact info in the Upper Right Menu

Select Fidelity.

Check DSTART

Choose today...

Good luck. worked for me.

~Bob

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just thought I would update:

Tomorrow will be two months since I "updated:" from 2017 to Subscription 2020. You can read here and search for me to see other threads on this "adventure".

As of today, Paypal updates are not working and likely because the new Quicken and Paypal are not sending information in the required way to communicate with 2020. Quicken is working on this for me and others.

All but two Billers are updating when a new bill is present. I am afraid I will need to "Refresh from Biller" for one but not sure why it needs that and will not update by itself when a new bill is ready.

I learned that to pay a bill from the Bills and Income tab to use ENTER rather than PAY as PAY "seems" to be for using some version of Quicken Bill Pay and not bill pay through my bank. I then get entries in the last payment column.

BUT... sorting by Due Date does not sort the Last Payment column and the dates "Entered" are all over the map. Would have expected it to sort by date entered or at least date scheduled to be paid. But it does not.

All else appears to be working at this point in time. Thanks to a great deal of help from Quicken Anja!

~Bob
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just to let you know, the problem with PayPal is a very unusual one.
    I say that because I'm using the latest version of Quicken and my PayPal downloading is working fine.  In fact this morning I got a new payment downloaded.
    Also even though there is fair amount of people on that thread reporting the problem, PayPal downloads have failed many times in the past (which included me), and when that happens there tends to be a lot more people reporting the problem.  Of course after all the problems people have had with downloading PayPal over the years, maybe they just gave up.

Why it behaves differently for different people is very strange.  And frankly my bet is on the Intuit server or something different about the account on PayPal, not Quicken the program.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Bob. said:
    ... sorting by Due Date does not sort the Last Payment column and the dates "Entered" are all over the map. Would have expected it to sort by date entered or at least date scheduled to be paid. But it does not.

Thanks for the update.  It's good to know someone is seeing improvement.

Regarding sorting, are you sorting just the Online Bills view or including other reminders in the tab view.  First off, I would not expect the sort to be for the Last Payment column.  I have my Bills tab view set for "All bills" and my transactions not linked to an online biller are sorted just fine based on the next payment date.  I expect that the online bills sorting will improve once Bill Manager payments can be scheduled into the future.  As for the dates "Entered" for Last Payment, only a few of on my manual bills reflect anything close to a correct date and amount.

Quicken user since 1995
    Win11 Deluxe Subscription thru 2024

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jrfaris said:

Thanks for the update.  It's good to know someone is seeing improvement.

Regarding sorting, are you sorting just the Online Bills view or including other reminders in the tab view.  First off, I would not expect the sort to be for the Last Payment column.  I have my Bills tab view set for "All bills" and my transactions not linked to an online biller are sorted just fine based on the next payment date.  I expect that the online bills sorting will improve once Bill Manager payments can be scheduled into the future.  As for the dates "Entered" for Last Payment, only a few of on my manual bills reflect anything close to a correct date and amount.

I have ALL BILLS and sorted by Due Date. But neither the Current Bill  column nor the Last Payment column sort by Due Date. Current Bill shows the top three which are Online Bills by Due Date order, but all the rest show Awaiting Next Bill. Last Payment seems to be a random order.

I would think that if I pay a bill, it should drop to the bottom of the Last Payment, but it does not.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That's interesting.  Here's how my bills are sorted:

I do not have any reminders linked to my online bills.  Currently, only the Hawaiian Electric bill has a current online bill.  All other online bills are sitting at the bottom  of the list awaiting the next bill.  
    You'll note that there are two instances of Hawaiian Electric.  The first is my traditional reminder which displays an estimated amount due based on past payments.  The second instance is the current bill which has recently updated.  When I review the bill, I will update the current instance of the reminder with the correct date due/dollar amount and then ignore the online bill which drops it down to the bottom again. This is working well for me and keeps the balance projections reasonably accurate.

Quicken user since 1995

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All of my Online Bills are linked to reminders. The Manual Bills are the only ones that sort correctly. The linked sort seemingly at random. If they acted like manual bills as you show, it would be great. But they do not.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We can hope that they will improve Online Bills behavior when they update to allow scheduling payments into the future.  It's interesting that without the link to a reminder, my online bills to not actual affect the balance projections or payment registers, even when I have several with current bills.  As it stands now, I don't see much benefit to linking them with reminders.

Quicken user since 1995

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Frankly, I think the Bills and Income and reminders are poorly designed and even more poorly documented. It feels like no customer input was considered nor Beta testing with any stakeholder performed. Maybe I'm wrong, but its hard to prove differently to me from the delivered product.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I definitely agree.  I tried setting up some online bills months before the whole Bill Manager push came about.  I never had much luck getting any biller to update consistently so almost never visited the Bills & Income tab.  Then with Bill Manager, the overlay of Quick & Check Pay systems seemed to be rushed into service with little or no quality control.  Being forced to set up an Online Bill to even try out the service, I succeeded in getting a few to work intermittently.  It is still a work in progress for me and definitely not reliable for bill payment. Maybe that will change with the promised scheduling update but I'm not counting on it.
    The irony is that the old reminder system does work quite well when it is not tied to the online bill system.   

Quicken user since 1995

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The irony, indeed.

I keep suggesting they hire me. I am a mile away from Quicken, have long history in tech of many kinds and few are better in uncovering issues with software and hardware than I. And semi-retired. But crickets....:)

Look, likely no software has ever shipped bug free. But you should know your issues before your customers do. And better documentation and communication goes a long way to creating a trusting partnership rather than frustration.

It should have never taken me two months + to make this mandatory change....And would I recommend Quicken to a friend or family is not a simple yes or no answer.

PS:jfaris - I had forgotten that an online Bill that is not linked to a Reminder appears the same as a Manual Bill on that tab. So I now see how and why yours "line up". I found that very confusing and use Reminders so mine is very different with its own set of quirks and bugs.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    OK, two new issues today :(

I had a bill I knew was posted online. I waited three extra days to see if either One Step Update or Update All on the Bills tab would grab it. Quicken did not. Of course, as soon as I hit Refresh Bill it was there. This is an issue!! If I did not know I had a bill, I could have missed it. I still think this is a bug. Frustrates me.

Second, I think 6 Billers present their pdf bills. Of them 4 are always up to date, but two (including the Biller I had to Refresh) are a month behind. The statements are available online and they show May and April, but not the June pdfs even though I have the June bill showing.

Another bug????
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bob. said:

I had a bill I knew was posted online. I waited three extra days to see if either One Step Update or Update All on the Bills tab would grab it. Quicken did not. Of course, as soon as I hit Refresh Bill it was there. This is an issue!! If I did not know I had a bill, I could have missed it. I still think this is a bug. Frustrates me.

Second, I think 6 Billers present their pdf bills. Of them 4 are always up to date, but two (including the Biller I had to Refresh) are a month behind. The statements are available online and they show May and April, but not the June pdfs even though I have the June bill showing.

Another bug????
    I have both of these issues as well.  I get the feeling that they are holding off addressing them until the scheduling update is implemented.  If we're lucky, many of these bugs will be addressed by the update.  Of course, there will probably be as many new issues created.

Quicken user since 1995

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    jrfaris said:
    Bob. said:

Another bug????
    I have both of these issues as well.  I get the feeling that they are holding off addressing them until the scheduling update is implemented.  If we're lucky, many of these bugs will be addressed by the update.  Of course, there will probably be as many new issues created.
    Personally I wouldn't hold your breath on that.

I tried using the Bill Presentment that all of this is based on for years.  And the "behavior" was all over the board, from some never updating (my water bill) to some "sort of working" if I "refreshed" them, to ones that seemed to work all the time.

One thing that was consistent is that they took away the ability to do any estimating so you either always got the current bill for the future predictions, or even worse $0.

Bottom line is that I believe like Express Web Connect a lot of the problems are with how the service is collecting this information (non standard way of doing it), and as such every different biller represents a potentially different set of problems.
    Signature:
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No, I'm breathing regularly.  Just frustrated.  

Quicken user since 1995

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I am beside myself. Things more broken than ever. @QuickenSarah @quicken Anja, can you help? Let me describe totally. (and note, I was down to one account that needed refresh bill and one that could not get the latest pdf. After weeks and weeks of work.

I have an online bill due. Quicken does not show that on the Bills and Income tab. So I refreshed the bill. Did not work. I believe, but may have forgotten, that it took me to a biller added / waiting for next bill screen.

So I restored from last known backup. For some reason after doing that Quicken brings up a dialog that "syncs to the cloud". I do not use cloud, but.

Then I got an upgrade required to use online bills. I super validated and that cleared. Fortunately I knew that trick.

After that four bills, which WERE just fine before the restore from backup, Need Attention: 
    Now., I had paid off two bills so I had a clean Bills and Income tab, so no new bills anticipated for two of the 4.

I also have one that says: The billers Website is not available at this time. I can login to their website.

Let me play a little more and continue. What a rotten morning. Can NEVER get Bills and Income all working right and functioning.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    All billers validated. One that says not available but does update from the register.

OY, I need to fix Important Upgrade AGAIN!!!

Back in a bit.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No errors, as before. Closing and reopening and One Step Update, again.

All my pdf statements are gone.

Tried updating all bills, no change.

Closing, reopening and One Step just to confirm no other issues.

OK, aside from the very well known Paypal OL-221-A Error, I have these four billers  - 3 with try again and 1 with billers website not available.

Can anything be fixed on the server side at Quicken as it seems this happened after syncing form restoring a backup?

If not, anyway to fix other than deleting the biller and recreating which throws off paid messages, etc?

Thanks.

I need a walk......

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ARGGGHHH. Just got I got an upgrade required to use online bills. I super validated and that cleared. AGAIN. How do I stop this one now?

Really need help.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So, a summary:

An important update has happened more than once since restoring from backup.

Restoring from backup syncs to the cloud even though I do not use the cloud.

After this message, Bills and Income loses information and bills get Try Again, PDF's are gone and in general this tab is munged. I believe this is a BUG that is caused by the new syncing after restoring from a backup.

I now have 3 billers stuck on try again and 1 biller that cannot connect to the web.

I have done open/one step update/close three times now and have not seen the Important Update Required again, but not yet confident the Super Validate actually fioxed that this time. There were NO errors in Super Validate log.

This is where I am at this moment.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Apologies for all my posts and rants around the community today. What you don't see in the background is that Comcast decided to change my Internet IP yesterday and now Google searches think I am in the middle of Kansas instead of Palo Alto, CA. Pizza will not deliver.

And Costco refused to make new lenses for my glasses since I did not buy the frame there, though they never mentioned when I called to check prices for lenses only before making the drive.

And I fully believe that Quicken 2020 is a train wreck.

<rant>Many know that we can not update Paypal since late April.

I fully believe that if you have ANY online bills (maybe linked to reminders) and restore from backup - even from earlier in the day, Quicken will sync to the cloud and then require attention to the You Need a Critical Update to use Online bills. So you Super Validate the file, then validate the billers and some will not connect, all have lost their pdf files, some revert to biller added  - awaiting next bill. After months for me getting this all straight.

Some billers will not scrape their new bills with One Step Update or Update All and then with a Refresh Biller can create a new Awaiting New Bill error message.

We pay for this software and I have for MANY years. It is not a video game, it is Mission Critical Software. It appears to be incredibly poorly tested.

The silver lining here are rare gems in customer service like Quicken Sarah and Quicken Anja. But after being forced to upgrade from a working 2017 (finally) I have two months of problems with 2020. M<any hours invested. <rant/>

OK, enough. Will post two places. Will hope I get some support and do not have to rebuild too much in my Bills and Reminders and wait ANOTHER month until I can see if that really works. And hope others do not befall all of these issues.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just got the IMPORTANT UPGRADE REQUIRED for Online Billers again!!!! Not every time I open the file, but one out of three? Did Super Validate and Validate All Billers again. No errors at all.

PLEASE HELP. Quicken has become unusable and I don't know what to do any longer.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Just tried to delete and reinstall some of the munged billers. Once it says removed, it still appears in the list. Then xfinity will no longer accept my login / password. Has to be related to the Sync with Cloud after a restore from backup.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Frankly Quicken Sync (transactions) and restoring from a backup throws up warning signs to this old programmer.  It is hard enough keeping two different data sources in sync without bring in the fact that a restore from backup is going to really change the "master" (Quicken data file) in that sync.

Then again syncing to the Quicken cloud (transactions) isn't something most of the SuperUsers do (trust issues, both technical and in some cases just because it is off of their machine).

On the "IMPORTANT UPGRADE REQUIRED" that was basically the last straw for me to keep using Online Bills.  As in I got it on three of my billers, and for one I couldn't clear it.  The only was I was able to clear that one was by reinstalling Quicken 2017 and clear it there.  Several people had reported that was the only way they could get it cleared.  Now that was a while ago so maybe the "fix/workaround" is back working in Quicken Subscription, but that was the last that I looked at this problem.  I stopped using Online Bills after that.
    Signature:
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Well, save enough backups so maybe Tech Support can get me back to before yesterday, but I fear the issue is this Important Upgrade has changed the files on the Quicken server when syncing and that is the root cause of the issues of half my Billers becoming corrupt.

I successfully deleted and rentered 1. Got 2 more plus Xfinity not allowing me to connect to try today. And if not, I think all i can do is make all bills manual which kills the number 1 or 2 feature of Quicken for me.

Really sad... Cannot count the hours since April trying to get subscription Quicken to a clean baseline.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good news / bad news....

Well, I have not seen the Important Update Needed since I did 3 or 4 times yesterday.

I successfully unlinked, removed and recreated the Xfinity Online Biller and connected.

I have two bills with the expanded Awaiting Next Bill dialogs and no next bill will be coming as I have a 0 balance - so i will have to go charge.

New. Cannot connect to Chase with OL-294-A Error. I tried to Reset and it tries to connect to Error Recovery at Chase. When it fails, and I try to exit, it tells me my Last Online Session was not complete, do I want to try again. I cannot get out of this loop. Even if I say no and exit, I get the Last Online Session Not Completed again when reopening. Can I clear that somehow?

I am more and more convinced there are at least 1 if not 2 bugs when restoring from backup. Any backup. The "Syncing to the Cloud" which I do not use, or the Important Update Required to use Online Bills breaks online bills. Trashes some of it. Whether Quicken thinks I use the Cloud or it thinks I use Quicken Bill Pay (I do not) it mungs up my billlers beyond belief to the point that 2 of my Online Billers would not connect to the online account! I have two more to remove and recreate and test.

This should be escalated. Restoring from backup should not change your servers information at Quicken or kill my bills.

If anyone has the desire, I'd love to see if latest subscription in Windows does anything to your online billers and reminders when you restore from backup. It never did until maybe the last week for me. And if it works for you...well. I am at 27.1.26.23

I can only hope that Sarah or Anja takes an interest in this and gets some help, perhaps restoring me to early morning 6/19 before Quicken gets too out of sync with all my accounts. Last known good before an online bill would not scrape and I refreshed to Bill which started all of this. Of course, should be in contact before any changes made.

The Sunday report....

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bob. said:

I am more and more convinced there are at least 1 if not 2 bugs when restoring from backup. Any backup. The "Syncing to the Cloud" which I do not use, or the Important Update Required to use Online Bills breaks online bills. Trashes some of it. Whether Quicken thinks I use the Cloud or it thinks I use Quicken Bill Pay (I do not) it mungs up my billlers beyond belief to the point that 2 of my Online Billers would not connect to the online account! I have two more to remove and recreate and test.
    I used Quicken cloud/transactions as an example because it is the most complicated and most likely to get messed up, but that isn't to say I was ruling out any other possibilities where you have two things that need to keep in sync.

Online Bills is certainly another case where you can get out of sync and if they aren't real careful get into bad states when resorting from a backup.  Clearly there is information in Quicken's data file that has to stay in sync with what in on the Quicken server and most likely even on the third party's server.

BTW have you tried:
    Bills & Income tab -> gear icon -> Validate Online billers
    Signature:
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thought I mentioned Chris, but Validated Biller MANY times yesterday and today and all validate properly. No errors.

As always, thanks for the replies Chris. I will beat this before it beats me. But so damn frustrating. I wish releases were better tested. I cannot be the only one with these problems.

Just searched and others with the Chase errors today. Cannot find where to clear the Last Session Not Completed dialogs and hope that Chase will correct trying to connect to Error Recovery at Chase.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Found this on an accounting website. Have not tried:

1. Select the Online menu and select Online Center.
    2. Click the Financial Institution drop-down arrow in the upper left of the window and select a financial institution. Click the Update/Send button.
    3. At the prompt, "Your last online session was not complete..." press Ctrl+Enter on your keyboard.
    4. At the next prompt, "Would you like to skip re-sending of the original request?" click OK.
    5. Enter your PIN and download from your financial institution.

This discussion has been closed.