Quicken 2007 and BOA (Q Mac)

Options
2»

Answers

• alkind
    alkind Member ✭✭
    Options
    I download the qfx directly from BofA (go to each account and click on download). It worked for me last week, and it worked 10 minutes ago.

What doesn't work is using OneStep for Vanguard, which generates the 209. If I download the qfx directly from Vanguard, Quicken can't find the account, even though it is listed under accounts. I now see that Vanguard is set to using direct connect, while BofA is using via web site.

If via web site will work for Vanguard, I will be OK with it.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello all,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report your issues.

As of July 2019, transaction download for the 2007 product was officially announced as discontinued.

https://www.quicken.com/support/update-quicken-mac-2007-support-policies-may-2016

Due to an upcoming security and reliability update from the service provider, the ability to download transactions will no longer work in Quicken 2007, regardless of your macOS version.

There are very real ongoing costs associated with maintaining connectivity, purchasing data for connected services, operating cloud-based companion apps, security monitoring and management, and periodically revising the product itself to meet evolving security and connectivity changes with financial institutions. If we provided these services at no charge in perpetuity, we could not afford to run our business.

Transaction download for the 2007 product will not be available as it has been discontinued.

There are a couple of ways to continue using Quicken:

Keep using macOS High Sierra or earlier. As long as you do not update to Catalina, you can continue using Quicken 2007. However, please note that transaction download will not be available.

Upgrade to try Quicken 2020. If you’re not fully satisfied, you can take advantage of our 30-day money-back guarantee. 

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    AS a vintage (!!) Q2007 user, I HAVE bought multiple versions of Quicken over the years and have a current subscription to Q2020. However, it still stinks! Has anyone working there EVER used Q2007 or even looked at it? Do they even know what a 'checkbook' looks like or a paper ledger?
    For better or worse, the conception of "paper ledgers" and even checkbooks are pretty dated circa 2020. I do the accounting work for my company, and I don't think I've touched a paper ledger since the 1980s. ;) And the various software products I've used for our accounting work over the past three decades do not strictly emulate the look of an old paper ledger.

As for the look of a checkbook -- the traditional two-row look -- there's nothing sacrosanct about it. That look was because a printed checkbook register couldn't fit all the information on one row without being too wide to handle. When Quicken was invented in the 1980s, it emulated the look of a paper checkbook because (a) it was familiar to people and (b) computer monitors were quite small (9" to 12") and therefore had the same limitations as a paper register. When the engineers set out to create a new generation of Quicken back in 2010, they didn't copy everything just to look the same; they designed what the computer hardware and software at that time could support, and they implemented the registers in a single, wider row.

There is certainly room for people to have different opinions about which look they prefer, but there is nothing inherently wrong with the single-line register. When I first tried the modern Quicken Mac back in 2014, I was among what I imagine were a majority of people asking them to implement a two-line register like Quicken of yore. The developers didn't do it because it turns out be a surprisingly complex thing to build (I won't go into the technical details here), and they had bigger issues of missing functionality to tackle, so we settled in to using the new look register. I know not everyone agrees, to this day, but over time, I came to find the single-line register much better than the old look. It scrolls smoothly (unlike Quicken 2007, which jumps a screen at a time), I like being able to hide/show the columns I want and rearrange column order and widths, and it's far easier to spot specific items on a screen when everything is in columns that line up versus alternating rows. I say all this only to make one point: if you dislike the register because it's different, I understand -- but I'd encourage you to try it for a month or two to see if your impression changes. I think most (not all) Quicken Mac users today would tell you this isn't an issue for them.

You say Quicken 2020 "stinks." I find it does some things better than Quicken 2007, most things pretty equivalent to Quicken 2007, and a few things it simply cannot do that Quicken 2007 could. Each of us uses Quicken differently, so anything that falls into that last bucket may impact us all differently. To give one example, Quicken 2020 doesn't have anything like QuickMath, and I miss that most days I'm using Quicken. Is that a show-stopper that prevents me from using Quicken 2020? No. It just takes me longer to calculate sales taxes on splits using a calculator in the program or on my desk, so I miss the ease of use of this Quicken 2007 feature. Other Quicken users have different functionality omissions which affect them differently -- and for a few, making Quicken 2020 not yet a suitable replacement for Quicken 2007. But I think the vast majority of Quicken 2007 users who have moved to modern Quicken Mac find it substantially suitable for their needs. I am not saying you need to agree, because your use of specific features in Quicken might truly make it "stink" for you; I'm only suggesting to give it a fair try to see if you can do what you need, even though it's a bit different than Quicken 2007.

But asking/wishing for Quicken to continue to support Quicken 2007 is an exercise in futility that will only cause you frustration. Accept that it's just not going to happen. Then, if you can find ways to continue to use Quicken 2007 entering data manually or if you can import files from your bank, you can choose which product and workflow suits you best. If Quicken 2007 works for you and you choose to stick with it, great -- just be conscious that you're on borrowed time with 14 year-old software which won't work the next time you need to replace your Mac. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • alkind
    alkind Member ✭✭
    Options
    While perhaps slightly off topic, when I got my 2018 mini, I put two volumes on my start up disk, both with 10.14. When 10.15 came out, I upgraded one of them, but not the second, so I can dual boot between Mojave where Quicken runs and Catalina where it doesn't. When I buy a new machine with say 10.17, I think I will be able to install from a backup and then just upgrade Catalina to 10.17, leaving Mojave with Quicken in its own volume.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @alkind  Generally, Macs will not run versions of macOS prior to their release. So I wouldn't count on a 2021 Mac being able to boot under Mojave; it might be possible, but most of Mac history says it probably won't be possible. (You might get there if you install virtual machine software, such as Parallels, and install an older macOS like Mojave inside the virtual machine.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • alkind
    alkind Member ✭✭
    Options
    @jacobs You are right; thanks for correcting me. I knew that, but it slipped my mind.
This discussion has been closed.