Home Quicken for Windows Budgeting and Planning Tools (Windows)

When and why did Income get moved below Expenses in Budget Annual View?

Did I miss a change where Quicken decided to move Income categories below Expense categories in Planning/Budget? Or did I make a change, unknowingly, to change the line up? Current to Quicken 27.1.26.23.

20 plus year user of Quicken

Answers

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What Category Groups do you use for your categories?
    If you use the built-in Personal Income, Personal Expenses groups for all your categories, then Personal Income lists before Personal Expenses.
    Home-grown category groups come after these two ... but please don't ask me in what order. I haven't quite figured out that mechanism myself ...
    To keep it simple, I always recommend the use of the built-in Category Groups.
  • Bradley RoseberryBradley Roseberry Member ✭✭
    Been using Quicken standard groups and categories for 20 years. I think it may be due to To: Account and From:Account transfers. I will back test this and let you know.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been using Quicken standard groups and categories for 20 years. I think it may be due to To: Account and From:Account transfers. I will back test this and let you know.

What, exactly, are the names of the Category Groups that you use?
    There's a difference between "Personal Income" and "Income", the latter having been used as a standard group for a few years.
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well here is how they sort for me.

1. Category groups with only income categories come first, and are in alphabetical order.
    2. Paycheck next (only have one so I don't know the sort order, but most likely alphabetical).
    3. Category groups with only expense categories, and they are in alphabetical order.
    4. Category groups the have both income and expense categories in them.  And they are in alphabetical order.
    Note when you mix income and expenses in a category group and it is put at the bottom removing the categories so that it only has income or expenses in it will not make it go back above 1 or 3 sections.  You need to right click on the category group name and there is an option Mixed / Default Group Type -> deselect Ignore
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
    P.S. All of this was done in the Annual view, didn't check out what the graph view does.
  • Bradley RoseberryBradley Roseberry Member ✭✭
    :) Perfect unchecking Ignore did the trick. I suspect it was due to the Transfer From Savings that caused it.

Thanks for bulldog-ing this one down for me.
    @Bradley Roseberry Your welcome. I actually never checked where the "Transfer XXX" from show up in the list.