Automatic Updates to Quicken?

Yesterday I got a message I could update Quicken to 27.24 on my Windows 7 computer. When I chose to, I could do a one step update and backup before hand. Today on my Windows 10 computer Quicken never asked and updated as soon as it was open. No chance to backup, etc.

What is the difference? Is there a setting to disable auto update I might have missed?

Thanks.

Answers

• miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    UAC

Try changing setting as from another post pasted below. 

The setting in in your user account profile:
    Control Panel (select icons view) -> User Accounts -> Change User Account Control settings

With it at this setting or higher it will prompt you before any install including the automatic updates Quicken installs when it starts.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    No, but thanks. The notice was in the One Step Update Summary that gave me the choice.

I do not believe could have possibly been a result of UAC. And both set identically on Win 7 and Win 10 machines. But appreciate the reply.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    In fact, the machine that did notify me in One Step Update Summary is set to Never Notify.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    To prevent Quicken from applying an update without your approval, I suggest you set Windows UAC settings appropriately (choose default or always notify).
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    To prevent Quicken from applying an update without your approval, I suggest you set Windows UAC settings appropriately (choose default or always notify).
    That is, of course, true and I have read most of the times you have posted that Sherlock. But that is not my question.

I want to know why one computer set identically to another will ask me if I choose to update in the One Step Update Summary and another will update upon opening Quicken offering me no choice. What is different here.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Bob. said:
    Sherlock said:
    That is, of course, true and I have read most of the times you have posted that Sherlock. But that is not my question.

I want to know why one computer set identically to another will ask me if I choose to update in the One Step Update Summary and another will update upon opening Quicken offering me no choice. What is different here.

Well, if you set the UAC appropriately on one of the computers and did not set it appropriately on the other computer, that would explain a difference in behavior.

The other variable is timing.  When Quicken stages a release, they only push the update to a limited number of users.  Then they wait some period of time to evaluate whether users report significant issues before they decide to push the update to more of us or pull the release.  If we launch Quicken while the update is published, Quicken will attempt to update itself.  If we attempt a One Step Update while the update is published, we're told of the availability of an update.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Would not explain a notification in one step update summary, Sherlock. In Windows, of course. But not how this presented.

And this is a closer explanation, but in fact I got both the "offer" to update and the forced update within 24 hours. So not a lot of time for feedback,. Still does not feel like the difference between installations and updates.

No setting anywhere to notify rather than push that i have missed, eh?
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob. said:

The thing is the computers are NOT the same, one is Win7 and the other is Win10, they respond differently.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Bob. said:
    Would not explain a notification in one step update summary, Sherlock. In Windows, of course. But not how this presented.

And this is a closer explanation, but in fact I got both the "offer" to update and the forced update within 24 hours. So not a lot of time for feedback,. Still does not feel like the difference between installations and updates.

No setting anywhere to notify rather than push that i have missed, eh?
    Yes. It would explain the notification in the One Step Update Summary.

There is no Quicken setting which is why we rely on UAC.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Gotta disagree and then let's close this Sherlock. UAC should not affect notifications inside an application. Windows yes, inside Quicken, no. No way it could change the One Step Update Summary messages. I t can prevent the update of software, but not hide that message. I just do not buy that.

But good to know that there isn't an obvious or hidden switch or preference I could not find.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Bob. said:
    Gotta disagree and then let's close this Sherlock. UAC should not affect notifications inside an application. Windows yes, inside Quicken, no. No way it could change the One Step Update Summary messages. I t can prevent the update of software, but not hide that message. I just do not buy that.

But good to know that there isn't an obvious or hidden switch or preference I could not find.
    That is not what I said.

Sherlock said:
    The other variable is timing.  When Quicken stages a release, they only push the update to a limited number of users.  Then they wait some period of time to evaluate whether users report significant issues before they decide to push the update to more of us or pull the release.  If we launch Quicken while the update is published, Quicken will attempt to update itself.  If we attempt a One Step Update while the update is published, we're told of the availability of an update.
This discussion has been closed.