Chase and Quicken Online Payees

I use Chase for my checking account. The last three online payees that I have tried to add through online payees all came back that the payee address is not valid. I have confirmed the addresses and they are all correct. Any ideas?

Best Answer

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @alvin1ibrarian

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report your issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a response.

I have a few questions to help me understand what could be happening?

May I ask, does the payee address use a 5 digit zip code or a 9 digit zip code?

Have you been able to pay any other payees while this error has been occurring?

The more information you can provide regarding this issue will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    One thing that isn't clear to me by the original post is if @alvin1ibrarian is using Chase's bill payment system through Quicken, or the Quicken Bill Manager.

Chase has free bill paying/Direct Connect for personal accounts, and it would be much better to use it than Quicken Bill Manager.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    One thing that isn't clear to me by the original post is if @alvin1ibrarian is using Chase's bill payment system through Quicken, or the Quicken Bill Manager.
    Same here - not sure what the OP is actually referencing....
    I use Chase directly with QWin - and it works great -
    It's been so long, I don't recall the Payee setup process, though I do think that with Direct Connect, being 2-way, the Payee info flows both ways - from being defined in Quicken and getting saved into the Chase online bill payment section - and the other way around also, as I first was using Chase online until I stumbled across the "connection" between Quicken and using Chase.....  

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    ps56k said:
     though I do think that with Direct Connect, being 2-way, the Payee info flows both ways - from being defined in Quicken and getting saved into the Chase online bill payment section - and the other way around also, as I first was using Chase online until I stumbled across the "connection" between Quicken and using Chase.....   

It has been more than 20 years since I used Bill Pay through Quicken through Wells Fargo, but I know for a fact that is its "two way".  What is really happening in this case is that Quicken is playing as a "GUI" for the financial institution's bill paying service.

So Quicken is just sending commands to their bill payment system, and getting information back from their system.

One of the main things l liked about that system is that if anything had happened where Quicken didn't work right I could always just go to the financial institution's website and fix it there.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • alvin1ibrarian
    alvin1ibrarian Member ✭✭
    I'm using Quicken through Direct Connect to Chase as part of my One Step Update.

I can go directly to Chase website and use its bill pay (that is it accepts the addresses and sends payments) but then I do that manually after I pay my other bills in Quicken. An awkward additional step. Sort of defeats the point of one-step update.

Yes, the other vendors that I have previously set up in Quicken work (and I have used for 20 years so there's a bunch of those). It's just as I am adding new vendors that I am experiencing issues.

I use 9 digit zip codes when available. I know two of the three problems had 9 digit zip codes. I don't remember the first. The last three vendors were Etrade, and two credit card vendors. It isn't like I was paying a local bookie. :)

I am using the current subscription version of Quicken Premier 2020 ver R 27.28 build 27.1.27.28

Thanks for the help.
This discussion has been closed.