Home Quicken for Windows Errors and Troubleshooting (Windows)

Bill Manager Won't Add Payment Account

Tried to start converting my BillPay accounts over to Bill Manager. The first step is to add the payment account. I tried doing this, but it fails with a message

Could not add payment account.

Tried calling Quicken on line chat, but that was useless - call back Monday since they had no idea what the problem was. They kept asking if I had previous problems with Bill Manager and could not get it through their heads that I had not used the service and could not use the service until I had a payment account set up. The next question was whether or not the information was correct. I told them i used the COPY FROM BILLPAY button, and that was when they suggested I call back on Monday.

I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling Quicken, but that did not resolve the problem.

Any ideas? The only other post on this topic was not helpful.

Comments

• Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello @goquy114

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your question, although I apologize that support was unable to assist.

I have a few questions to help me better understand what could be happening.

First, have you added an online biller? This is the first step that needs to be completed prior to adding a payment account.

If you have already added an online biller, please navigate to the Bills and Income Tab, and choose the gear. At the bottom do you have the message to "Set Up Quicken Bill Manager Plus" or does your option say something else?

Lastly, were you able to successfully use the copy from the bill pay button? This option only becomes available once Check Pay has been enabled, per this support article.

Please let me know so we can get a resolution on this!

-Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
  • svmillysvmilly Member
    I have a different message. It says "Set up Quicken Bill Manager" with out the Plus. When I click on it I get the 4 NEXT messages then the Acknowledgement banner and click Continue. A window opens for Payment Accounts for Quicken Bill Manager. I select my bank, Hit ENABLE, In the new popup for Enable Payment Account I select Copy from billpay which fills in Routing and account numbers. I add DOB as mm/dd/yyyy click Save and get "Could not add payment account." Help.
    Hello @svmilly

Thank you for the response and for providing additional details.

If you haven't done so already, please take a moment to review the information on enabling an account for check pay available here.

Please let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
  • lwoodquicklwoodquick Member
    I am having the same problem as those above, but the instructions do not work for me. Specifically, the instructions assume you are setting up Online Bill, but in my case I have no Online Bills to set up, I'm only interested in Check Pay. @Tyka: What is the process in this case?
  • lwoodquicklwoodquick Member
    > @lwoodquick said:
    > I am having the same problem as those above, but the instructions do not work for me. Specifically, the instructions assume you are setting up Online Bill, but in my case I have no Online Bills to set up, I'm only interested in Check Pay. @Tyka: What is the process in this case?

Correction: @Quicken_Tyka
    Hello @lwoodquick

Thank you for the response and for clarifying what is you are needing.

To enable you to check you will need to add an Online Biller. There is no way to complete the process of enabling Check Pay without adding an Online Biller to the file.

The complete steps below are from the article referenced above.

https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-bill-manager-how-set-quick-pay-and-check-pay

The ability to set up a Check Pay account is third on the list of steps. The first step is to add an Online Bill. The Second is to enable a payment account for Quick Pay. Only after these 2 steps are complete will you be able to establish an account to use Check Pay.

I hope this helps to clarify!

-Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
  • jrfarisjrfaris Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Quicken_Tyka
    After Check Pay has been set up and payment accounts authorized, is there any need to retain the Online Biller?  If all online billers are removed, will it still be possible to use Check Pay?
    Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Premier Subscription thru 2020
    Hello @jrfaris

Thank you for the response, one the account has been enabled and verified for Check Pay, remove the biller shouldn't cause any problems.

The biller is only necessary to begin and complete verification.

If going forward and you should choose to only use Check Pay, I would keep in mind the payment allotments.

Payment allotment

Subscription Release users on Premier or Home & Business
    12 Quick Pay payments and 3 Check Pay payments.

Subscription Release users on Premier or Home & Business that are also existing Quicken Bill Pay users
    12 Quick Pay payments and 6 Check Pay payments.

Quicken users who currently use Quicken Bill Pay and pay a monthly fee for the service:
    15 Quick Pay payments and 15 Check Pay payments.

Depending on your plan, it may be in your best interest to look at using Direct Connect Bill Pay from your financial institution, if it is available.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka

-Quicken Tyka
  • lordbahlordbah Member ✭✭
    Same. I too have no "online billers" - almost everyone can just pull from my checking account or credit card, the Luddites who only take physical checks are the ones for which I need this service. I guess I have to pick some merchant I do business with and pretend they would be billing me?

That error message is terrible UX. It doesn't hint at any corrective action for the user. He's just abandoned, dead in the water.