Bill Manager Won't Add Payment Account

Tried to start converting my BillPay accounts over to Bill Manager. The first step is to add the payment account. I tried doing this, but it fails with a message

Could not add payment account.

Tried calling Quicken on line chat, but that was useless - call back Monday since they had no idea what the problem was. They kept asking if I had previous problems with Bill Manager and could not get it through their heads that I had not used the service and could not use the service until I had a payment account set up. The next question was whether or not the information was correct. I told them i used the COPY FROM BILLPAY button, and that was when they suggested I call back on Monday.

I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling Quicken, but that did not resolve the problem.

Any ideas? The only other post on this topic was not helpful.

Best Answers

• goquy114
    goquy114 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Email from Quicken guides first to the SETUP site (https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-bill-manager-how-set-quick-pay-and-check-pay). In the first step it states

Quicken for Windows

The sets of steps below need to be followed in the order shown.

First, you will need to add an online bill

Note: If you already have online bills set up, you can move on to Enable a payment account for Quick Pay.

Since I have been using Quicken for many years, I do have online bills, but in Quicken this now means something different from the past. This NOTE needs to be clear. I don’t see how anyone would already have this type of setup prior to Bill Manager – it was never needed or required. I would delete this note.

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @goquy114

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your question, although I apologize that support was unable to assist.

I have a few questions to help me better understand what could be happening.

First, have you added an online biller? This is the first step that needs to be completed prior to adding a payment account.

If you have already added an online biller, please navigate to the Bills and Income Tab, and choose the gear. At the bottom do you have the message to "Set Up Quicken Bill Manager Plus" or does your option say something else?

Lastly, were you able to successfully use the copy from the bill pay button? This option only becomes available once Check Pay has been enabled, per this support article.

Please let me know so we can get a resolution on this!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • svmilly
    svmilly Member
    I have a different message. It says "Set up Quicken Bill Manager" with out the Plus. When I click on it I get the 4 NEXT messages then the Acknowledgement banner and click Continue. A window opens for Payment Accounts for Quicken Bill Manager. I select my bank, Hit ENABLE, In the new popup for Enable Payment Account I select Copy from billpay which fills in Routing and account numbers. I add DOB as mm/dd/yyyy click Save and get "Could not add payment account." Help.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @svmilly

Thank you for the response and for providing additional details.

If you haven't done so already, please take a moment to review the information on enabling an account for check pay available here.

Please let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • lwoodquick
    lwoodquick Member ✭✭
    I am having the same problem as those above, but the instructions do not work for me. Specifically, the instructions assume you are setting up Online Bill, but in my case I have no Online Bills to set up, I'm only interested in Check Pay. @Tyka: What is the process in this case?
  • lwoodquick
    lwoodquick Member ✭✭
    > @lwoodquick said:
    > I am having the same problem as those above, but the instructions do not work for me. Specifically, the instructions assume you are setting up Online Bill, but in my case I have no Online Bills to set up, I'm only interested in Check Pay. @Tyka: What is the process in this case?

Correction: @Quicken_Tyka
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Quicken_Tyka
    After Check Pay has been set up and payment accounts authorized, is there any need to retain the Online Biller?  If all online billers are removed, will it still be possible to use Check Pay?

Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2023

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @jrfaris

Thank you for the response, one the account has been enabled and verified for Check Pay, remove the biller shouldn't cause any problems.

The biller is only necessary to begin and complete verification.

If going forward and you should choose to only use Check Pay, I would keep in mind the payment allotments.

Payment allotment

Subscription Release users on Premier or Home & Business
    12 Quick Pay payments and 3 Check Pay payments.

Subscription Release users on Premier or Home & Business that are also existing Quicken Bill Pay users
    12 Quick Pay payments and 6 Check Pay payments.

Quicken users who currently use Quicken Bill Pay and pay a monthly fee for the service:
    15 Quick Pay payments and 15 Check Pay payments.

Depending on your plan, it may be in your best interest to look at using Direct Connect Bill Pay from your financial institution, if it is available.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • lordbah
    lordbah Member ✭✭
    Same. I too have no "online billers" - almost everyone can just pull from my checking account or credit card, the Luddites who only take physical checks are the ones for which I need this service. I guess I have to pick some merchant I do business with and pretend they would be billing me?

That error message is terrible UX. It doesn't hint at any corrective action for the user. He's just abandoned, dead in the water.
  • lordbah
    lordbah Member ✭✭
    I used Roku as my fake online biller (I do have an account there) and was then able to add payment accounts. After verification I removed Roku.
  • goquy114
    goquy114 Member ✭✭
    Tyka,

I already have Online Billers - been using Quicken for about 18 years now, so according to the instructions I can go straight to adding the payment account.
  • goquy114
    goquy114 Member ✭✭
    My options says SET UP QUICKEN BILL MANAGER.
    I used the COPY FROM BILLPAY button.
    I also tried manually entering the [exact same] correct information.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @goquy114

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you continue to experience this difficulty.

At this time I would recommend contacting support directly for advanced troubleshooting steps.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Quicken Care has tools such as screen share to review and research this issue further.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • goquy114
    goquy114 Member ✭✭
    Resolved. The instructions do not make it clear that you must have an On Line Biller set up as an internet web account that can be logged into - just an on line biller. You should adjust the instructions to make this clear.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @goquy114

Thank you for the response and I am glad to hear that you were able to get this resolved. 

As there does seem to be some confusion on the instructions for setting up Quicken Bill Manager.

Especially, on the first step of needing to add an online bill to be able to proceed with Quicken Bill manager.

May I ask how the current instructions could be more clear and where the point of confusion is?

The Quicken Bill Manager FAQ states:

I would like to pass this feedback along to help clarify the instructions to help better the Quicken Bill Manager experience.

Please let me know!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • jedshawk
    jedshawk Member
    edited August 2020
    I have been using Quicken Bill Pay for 20 years. I have dozens of payees. Quicken Bill Manager says if you have Quicken Bill Pay skip the first step and go to "Second, enable a payment account...". That does not work, period. I've tried dozens of times doing all sorts of different things. I don't have any payee to add so I haven't tried. So I'm assuming that you are saying the instructions are wrong. Frankly it seems that the people in support are clueless as to what the instructions say and or how to resolve issues. The questions asked are at times [removed - inappropriate]
  • goquy114
    goquy114 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Email from Quicken guides first to the SETUP site (https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-bill-manager-how-set-quick-pay-and-check-pay). In the first step it states

Quicken for Windows

The sets of steps below need to be followed in the order shown.

First, you will need to add an online bill

Note: If you already have online bills set up, you can move on to Enable a payment account for Quick Pay.

Since I have been using Quicken for many years, I do have online bills, but in Quicken this now means something different from the past. This NOTE needs to be clear. I don’t see how anyone would already have this type of setup prior to Bill Manager – it was never needed or required. I would delete this note.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @goquy114

This is a common question and a source of the confusion-- thank you for your feedback to help isolate the cause of t

Between there being payees, online payees, Quicken Bill Pay/Direct Connect payees, Online Billers, ETC. Big emphasis on ETC :wink:

I can understand the confusion the terminology causes and thank you for clarifying that.

This has been very helpful and I have reported this article as well as your response verbatim to help better this process for others in the future.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
This discussion has been closed.