How can I move my QDF data file?

Howard
Howard Member ✭✭
After installing the recent update to Quicken Deluxe 2020, my QDF data file and up on my desktop. I would like to move it to another location, but need guidance.I am running Windows 10 Pro and my Quicken version is R27.42 .

Best Answer

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Copy the QDF from the desktop to your Quicken folder under your Documents folder.  Then navigate to the Quicken folder and double click the QDF file to open it.  If that works fine then close Quicken and delete the QDF file on the desktop.
    The next time you start Quicken it will open the QDF file in the Quicken folder.
  • Howard
    Howard Member ✭✭
    Thank you, but this was not successful. When I double-clicked the QDF file, I was required (twice) to enter my Quicken ID. Then I was asked to download Quicken and go through a setup.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Howard
    Howard Member ✭✭
    English
  • thecreator
    Hi @Howard ,

See this procedure:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7844658/installing-reinstalling-windows-quicken-subscription-editions

Don't skip steps, but make sure you have a Manual Backup of your Data File.

Mondo Patch, will not help.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have a password on your Quicken Data File ?
    And did this happen -
    you received the password screen AND then the Quicken screen -
    If so.... just ignore the Quicken ID login in the background....
    should disappear in about 20 secs

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Howard
    Howard Member ✭✭
    I went through all of these laborious steps. Either I was not offered the opportunity to choose a location, or I missed it. Regardless, I am going to set this aside for now and leave the QDF file on my Desktop.
    I do appreciate you help.
  • Howard
    Howard Member ✭✭
    To PS56K:
    Thank you for your interest, but this was not the issue.
  • Howard
    Howard Member ✭✭
    Hello thecreator,

I am trying a second time to uninstall and re-install Quicken following the steps in the link you sent. Question: I was told to download MSICLEAN.exe, but never instructed whether (or how) to use it. When I open this file it asks me to select the MSI file.
  • thecreator
    Hi @Howard ,

From my link above:

Download QcleanUI.exe from this link:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken?

Click: First: Download and use QCleanUI

Scroll down and see QCleanUI.exe listed in 4. Left-click on QCleanUI.exe to start the Download and click Save. See MSICLEAN.exe listed in 5.  Left-click on MSICLEAN.exe to start the Download and click Save.
    Create a new sub-folder of Briefcase and name it QClean. Move both QCleanUI.exe and MSIClean.exe into QClean. Now simply open QClean. Right-click on QCleanUI.exe  and left-click Run as administrator. Choose to Clean All Versions. Do not use Programs and Features to uninstall your Quicken Program.

On my computer, I download all files and programs to my Briefcase folder on the Desktop, rather than using the folder called Downloads. I have Qclean folder as a sub-folder of Briefcase.

When done, I leave that folder in place, as it hurts nothing. I can re-use the program at any time to do the procedure again, in a pinch or when a major problem arises.

• Howard
    Howard Member ✭✭
    What do I do with MSIClean?
  • Howard
    Howard Member ✭✭
    thank you
  • Howard
    Howard Member ✭✭
    Failure again. I went through the steps again to install and reinstall Quicken in Windows. I got as far as page 5, which says that after I launch Quicken I am supposed to have an option to restore a data file. This did not appear. I was presented with a blank Quicken screen with "file" and "help" tabs at the top.

If I open "file" and try and open a Quicken file, I am unable to. Next I went to my backup file and said I wanted to open it with Quicken. I got a pop-up asking me to choose the location and I put in the folder holding my current data file. Another pop-up said that same file was already in my current folder. I elected to override it. I then got a message "unable to write to drive –:.

If I try to login to Quicken and put in my data file password, the Quicken ID window pops up. If I fill in my credentials 2 or 3 times (or more) I get a message saying "success" on a set up screen offering me the opportunity to download Quicken for Windows (again).

It appears that my problem centers around malfunctions in the Quicken ID sign in. Just before It pops up I can see my current data screen. Is someone working on a fix?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try creating a new Windows User Account with Administrator privilege's and running Quicken from that account.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Howard
    Howard Member ✭✭
    Greg,
    I set up a new Windows user and was asked again to download and install Quicken. No luck.
  • thecreator
    Hi @Howard ,

I am not sure, if you are signing into your Microsoft User Account with your Microsoft User Account Email Address or not, but I would create a New Windows Account, using the Control Panel / User Accounts.
    1. Click on Manage Another Account.
    2. At the bottom, click on Add a new user in PC settings.
    3. Click Add someone else to this PC, under Other Users.
    4. Click I don't have this person's sign-in information.
    5. Add a user without a Microsoft Account.
    6. Give the User a name like Howard.
    7. A password is not needed. Click Next.
    8. Click the New User Name.
    9. Click Change account type.
    10. Under Account type click the Account type down arrow.
    11. Change to to Administrator and click Ok.
    12. Close Settings.
    13. Before you Sign out, make sure to move files outside of your Old User ID, that you need in the New User Account.
    14. Right-click Start and click Sign out.
    15. Now simply  set up the New Account,
    16. Try to set up Quicken in the New User Account.
    17. If it works, keep the New User Account and do not import settings but move files and folders to the New User Account.
    18. Once everything is moved or copied, you can delete the old User Account.
    Questions?

By the way, answered from Windows 10 64-Bit Pro
    Build 19041.388

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Howard I think it's time you contact Quicken Support and let them share your screen. You should be able to move the QDF file just like any other file on your PC.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Howard
    Howard Member ✭✭
    Hi thecreator

I believe your step #13 is what was missing in my first try.

Question: My home network in Windows is set up using the same user name on all of our computers. I believe it may no longer work if one computer has a different user name. Is this correct?

Also, Quicken Support is difficult to work with as they are getting a black screen when they try to share my screen. They do not seem to know why.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Question: My home network in Windows is set up using the same user name on all of our computers. I believe it may no longer work if one computer has a different user name. Is this correct?"
    No, that's not correct.  Different computers with different users should be able to sign into a local network if they have the network's name and password.
  • Howard
    Howard Member ✭✭
    To thecreator,

It took all day yesterday, but I finally was able to transfer all of my files to the new user and reconfigure most of my applications. I appreciate your advice.

It is truly outrageous, however, that all of this disruption was caused by the malfunction of the Quicken ID. The only valid use of this authentication method is to qualify a person for downloads or new installations. It might also be needed to verify eligibility for cloud storage, but I never use that. This is a bad design.

Regards, Howard
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
This discussion has been closed.