Cannot add both my and spouse's IRA accounts at Fidelity Investments

Cannot add both my and spouse's IRA accounts at Fidelity Investments. When I try to add wife's account with her own ID and password, Quicken Deluxe for Windows connects and then shows no accounts to choose. If I continue clicking next, Quicken crashes. In Quicken Deluxe for Mac OS, I performed this exact same function with no problem. Both accounts are present and update automatically.

Best Answer

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @amydonj

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a response. 

We will need a bit more information to be able to assist. Please take a moment to review the information here and post back with the year and version of Quicken you are currently running.

What is the name of the financial institution that you are encountering this issue with?

The more information you can provide regarding this issue will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • amydonj
    amydonj Member ✭✭
    Fidelity Investments (IRA accounts with unique user IDs and passwords)
    Quicken Deluxe for Windows Year: 2020 Version: R27.42 Build: 27.1.27.42
  • amydonj
    amydonj Member ✭✭
    Here is some more information. I deleted my Fidelity Investments IRA account and successfully added my wife's Fidelity Investments IRA in Windows Quicken Deluxe. This worked. Then I tried to add back my IRA account and the system connects to Fidelity, but returns with a blank "Add IRA / Keogh Account" screen. So in Windows Quicken, I can add one or another Fidelity IRA account, but not both. We don't have any other financial companies where we have two user IDs and two passwords. I suspect this bug is not unique to Fidelity Investments. If you want to reproduce the problem, add company "Z" with user ID "A" associated account and then add user ID "B" associated account with the same company "Z" to Windows Quicken and I bet it does not work. Again, this is not a problem in Mac OS Quicken Deluxe which works perfectly. I've changed jobs and have to work on a Windows computer so I would really like this to work on Windows.
  • amydonj
    amydonj Member ✭✭
    More general question: Mac OS Quicken is so much more polished and easy to use than Windows Quicken. Why don't you use the Mac OS Quicken code base, tweak the interface to work under Windows, and ship that? Moving from Mac OS Quicken to Windows Quicken is a disappointing experience.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @amydonj

Thank you for the response and the additional details. At this time I do not have multiple credentials for different accounts to be able to test this fully on my end.

I would like to try a test file, to see if confirm that the accounts cannot be added in a brand new file.

To create a test file, please navigate to File > New Quicken File, once the new file has been created, please attempt to add the Fidelity accounts once more and see if you get the same result.

I want to confirm that this occurs in a test file because at times, removing brokerage accounts and attempting to re-add them to the same file can be problematic. I want to rule out this being the cause of the issue.

In regards to your second question:
    amydonj said:
    More general question: Mac OS Quicken is so much more polished and easy to use than Windows Quicken. Why don't you use the Mac OS Quicken code base, tweak the interface to work under Windows, and ship that? Moving from Mac OS Quicken to Windows Quicken is a disappointing experience.

Unfortunately, I cannot speak whole lot on why that is. Other than that in general, Windows and Mac platforms are very different from one another. The Windows version is also a lot older than the Mac version.

Please let me know how it goes with the test file.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • amydonj
    amydonj Member ✭✭
    Hi Tyka,

I created a new Quicken file called "Test" which initially had no accounts. I added my Fidelity Investments IRA successfully. I then tried to add my wife's IRA. It accepted her credentials and connected to Fidelity Investments. However, it came back with no accounts listed on the "IRA / Keogh" screen. In other words, we consistently can only add one or the other IRA accounts under Fidelity Investments in Windows Quicken. When is the Quicken log stored? It should be throwing an error or is there a way to turn on debug mode to get more information?

Don
  • amydonj
    amydonj Member ✭✭
    Correction: Where is the log store? I can send you the entries if you tell where it is stored in the file structure.
  • amydonj
    amydonj Member ✭✭
    I looked in all folders under the Quicken application and in the Windows Event Viewers and could find no Quicken log entries.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @amydonj

Thank you for the response and for letting me know the results of the text file.

To locate the logs, please open Quicken and navigate to Help > Logs Files.

Please let me know what you find!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • amydonj
    amydonj Member ✭✭
    Hi Tyka,

I looked at the logs and found nothing useful. Your program probably has a debug mode which I don't know how how to turn on so the logs don't have very much information. I have the latest updates in Windows Quicken, but still have the same problem. Many people have had this problem adding two accounts at the same financial institution even though they have different credentials, login and password. You have a bug. Please file a report. I don't know how H.I.G. Capital could let this problem go on for months without fixing it.

Here is an example: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7854781/can-i-add-accounts-from-the-same-bank-for-2-different-login-accounts

Just plug this Google search into your browser and you will see a lot of complaints: https://www.google.com/search?q=quicken+problem+two+account+at+same+company&oq=quicken+problem+two+account+at+same+company

I work all day on a Windows computer, but every time I want to check my financials, I have to turn on my Mac and use the Mac OS version of Quicken. It shouldn't be that hard to fix; just compare how you handle two different sets of credentials at the same institution in Mac OS Quicken vs Windows Quicken.

Don
  • RRYUL
    RRYUL Member
    I have exactly the same problem as amydonj:
    I have already added my Rollover IRA and my Traditional IRA accounts at Charles Schwab into Quicken 2020 for Windows - Build 27.1-27.28
    My spouse also has a Traditional IRA & a Rollover IRA with Charles Schwab with her own login ID & PIN.
    When I enter her credentials and click on the Next button, Quicken starts looking for her account at Charles Schwab and eventually comes back with a blank screen. I've tried this several times
    There has been one occasion when Quicken also crashed.
    Looks like this is a defect that needs to be fixed?
  • amydonj
    amydonj Member ✭✭
    I found a work-around for when Quickbooks for Windows will not let you add two accounts with different User IDs for the same financial institution: Add the first account for user X at institution W. Disable transaction download. Add second account for user Y at institution W. Leave transaction download enabled for user Y's account. Reactivate transaction download for User X. This work-around allows me to have both my wife's and my IRA at Fidelity be present and automatically downloaded in Quickbooks for Windows. This bug, again, is not present in Quickbooks for Mac. However, I have not found a way to report bugs for Quickbooks and track their status. The company, HIG Capital, who owns Quickbooks is just not interested. Very strange.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @amydonj, do you actually mean QUICKEN?  You reference Quickbooks several times ... and I wasn't aware that QB supported investment accounts.
    You can edit your reply by clicking the GEAR icon to the far right from your userID

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Michael W
    Michael W Member
    I also ran into this issue as well. Although one condition that I have and you did not mention is that both my wife's Fidelity account and my account were linked to a common brokerage account at Fidelity. So after connecting my wife's accounts, I simply deleted the joint brokerage account and then connected my accounts and that seems to work.
This discussion has been closed.