Unable to close account (Q Mac)

System
System Member admin
This discussion was created from comments split from: Quicken for Mac close account.

Comments

• BrianG
    BrianG Member ✭✭
    I also have this same issue with 2 BB&T checking accounts. One has been closed since May and the other in July. Can't find any scheduled, future-dated, or pending payment transactions.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Hello @BrianG

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a response. 

We will need a bit more information to be able to assist. Please take a moment to review the information here and post back with the year and version of Quicken you are currently running.

Please include any error messages you have received as well.

The more information you can provide regarding this issue will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • BrianG
    BrianG Member ✭✭
    Hi @Quicken_Tyka

Here is detail you requested....
    Quicken Premier 2020 for Mac Version 5.17.5 (Build 517.34953.100)
    macOS 10.13.6
    Documents\Quicken Data\Quicken Data 2.quicken

Error: “BB&Txxxx” cannot be closed yet. You cannot close an account while it has any scheduled, future-dated, or pending payment transactions."
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @BrianG

Thank you for the response and for the additional details.

May I ask that you navigate to Settings on the BB&T account and look for the section "Scheduled Transactions" along the bottom.

Please change this to "Show All Occurences in the Next 12 Months" as shown.

Does this reveal any scheduled transactions in the register?

Please let me know!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • BrianG
    BrianG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2020
    @Quicken_Tyka
    No, it doesn't reveal any scheduled transactions. Is there any way to show transactions further out than 12 months?
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @BrianG

Thank you for giving that a try and letting me know the results. There is no further view scheduled transactions in the register beyond 12 months, in the register.

The calendar can go beyond the 12 months, are you able to navigate to the calendar and tab further along than 12 months and see if you see any scheduled transactions there?

Please let me know!
    ~~~***~~~
  • BrianG
    BrianG Member ✭✭
    @Quicken_Tyka

I customized my calendar to only show transactions for the one BBT problem account. I found 3 ongoing scheduled transactions starting Jan 1, 2021 that really shouldn't have shown in the calendar and did not show up in the register. They were for another account and when opened them, they opened the register for the other account. I opened each of these scheduled transactions and saved them. They then went away from the calendar for the BBT account.

After this, I attempted to close the BBT account but got the same error. I then went back to the calendar and scrolled month by month until Jan 2050. I did not find any more scheduled transactions.
  • lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    @BrianG  
    One can get scheduled transactions to appear in the register by going to the Account > Settings... and selecting "Show the next occurrence of each series". OR alternatively, one can use the new Show reminders for... pull-down menu (click the clock face at the right end of the filters bar at the top of the register and select "Next one due".

Another place one might look to discover scheduled transactions is the Bills & Income tab. In there, both the Bills and the Projected Balances choices will permit one to see scheduled transactions into the far future if the Next N Days filter is set to Next Instance.

Finally, a question: Have you ever used or experimented with any of the Bill Pay options?  Quicken Bill Pay, Bank Bill Pay, Quick Pay, Check Pay?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
  • BrianG
    BrianG Member ✭✭
    @lhossus

Thank you for the suggestions. I tried them but didn't find any scheduled transactions for that account.

As to Bill Pay, this account was used withBB&T Bill Pay for many years. I had at one time (2+ years ago) attempted to set up Quicken Bill Pay thinking that it would be the way to go but abandoned it as I could never get it to work.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Hello @BrianG

Thank you for your response, although I apologize that this trouble continues to persist.

I have one last step to try, please navigate to File > Save a Backup prior to completing the steps.

This will involve creating a new manual account and moving the transactions to this new account to be able to close this new account and remove the previous account as it appears to not be working properly.

First, add a new manual checking, this can be done by selecting the (+) and then choosing "Checking."

Then select "Options" to view the connection types.

We want to enter the transactions manually to create a manual account.

This will add a new account to the sidebar in Quicken.

Then, select the original account and hit "Command" + "A" on the keyboard to highlight all of the transactions.

Then, drag and drop the transactions into the new account.

Please note, depending on the age and number of transactions, this move can take some time and it may appear that the program is not responding. Please allow some time for this move to finish if you experience this.

You may then try to close this new account and completely delete the previous account.

Please let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • BrianG
    BrianG Member ✭✭
    @Quicken_Tyka

When I try and drag and drop, it won't let me do it. I get the red oval with the number of transactions I'm trying to move but also a grey circle with a diagonal line through it no matter which account I try and drop them onto.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @BrianG

Thank you for the response although I apologize that you're encountering this trouble.

I would next try to move fewer transactions at once, for example, start with a month of transactions and see if you are able to move them successfully.

You can select multiple transactions by selecting a transaction and holding "Shift" and selecting a transaction further down the list, this will highlight everything between these two points.

Please let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • BrianG
    BrianG Member ✭✭
    @Quicken_Tyka
    Tried to move a month and I guess I can't move the transactions to another account. I get the error message...
    "Payments cannot be moved to a different account.
    xx transaction in move is a payment.
    When an account is used to make payments, its payment transactions cannot be moved to other accounts"
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @BrianG

Thank you for the response and for including the error message that you have received.

May I ask that you capture a screenshot of the transactions that you are trying to move?

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac

Alternatively, you consider contacting support directly to initiate a screen share to review the issue.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
This discussion has been closed.